RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Posts: 5,213,773
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 738
Newest member: meshman63


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 15 2010, 05:36 AM   #61
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

Let's not forget that the only reason NuUhura even got on the JJprise is because she basically blackmailed NuSpock, courtesy of their illicit affair, something that would've resulted in both of them being courtmartialed for fraternization.

Yeah, such a professional. Just don't ask me which profession (suffice it to say, it's quite old).
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 06:53 AM   #62
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Let's not forget that the only reason NuUhura even got on the JJprise is because she basically blackmailed NuSpock, courtesy of their illicit affair, something that would've resulted in both of them being courtmartialed for fraternization.

Yeah, such a professional. Just don't ask me which profession (suffice it to say, it's quite old).
I guess thats one way of looking at it. Dont recall any thing like blackmail, just a reminder of of her background, skills and qualifications. Things that Spock ignored in an attempt to deflect any hint of favoritism.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 04:26 PM   #63
Orcus
Captain
 
Orcus's Avatar
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Let's not forget that the only reason NuUhura even got on the JJprise is because she basically blackmailed NuSpock, courtesy of their illicit affair, something that would've resulted in both of them being courtmartialed for fraternization.

Yeah, such a professional. Just don't ask me which profession (suffice it to say, it's quite old).
I guess thats one way of looking at it. Dont recall any thing like blackmail, just a reminder of of her background, skills and qualifications. Things that Spock ignored in an attempt to deflect any hint of favoritism.
Yep - my take on it too. I don't understand where all the "blackmail" jive comes from - neither version of the character show any trace of anything apart from professionalism and skill...
Orcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 05:00 PM   #64
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

UHURA: And did I not, on multiple occassions, demonstrate exceptional aural sensitivity ...
What others have said is true, in the transcripts it's written "aural," but in the sound track of the movie Zoe Saldana does clearly pronounces it "oral."

SPOCK: It was an attempt to avoid the appearance of favoritism.
With the sole exception of the Captain, all personnel aboard the Enterprise report to the first officer. Not just in the military, but in the civilian world you shouldn't/can't supervise a subordinate that you're having a intimate relationship with, not just a sexual one, any romantic relationship. While at the academy Spock was A superior officer, but he wasn't HER superior officer. Spock's decision to have Uhura assigned to a different ship was the professionally correct thing to do.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 07:10 PM   #65
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
UHURA: And did I not, on multiple occassions, demonstrate exceptional aural sensitivity ...
What others have said is true, in the transcripts it's written "aural," but in the sound track of the movie Zoe Saldana does clearly pronounces it "oral."

SPOCK: It was an attempt to avoid the appearance of favoritism.
With the sole exception of the Captain, all personnel aboard the Enterprise report to the first officer. Not just in the military, but in the civilian world you shouldn't/can't supervise a subordinate that you're having a intimate relationship with, not just a sexual one, any romantic relationship. While at the academy Spock was A superior officer, but he wasn't HER superior officer. Spock's decision to have Uhura assigned to a different ship was the professionally correct thing to do.

Yeah but this is the Star Trek franchise, not the real military. In Star Trek and other fictions Superior officers can hook up with junior officers and everyone smiles and nods because there's more possible drama in that.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 07:21 PM   #66
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon
 
T'Bonz's Avatar
 
Location: Across the Neutral Zone
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

It's unprofessional. I thought less of the two characters for it.
__________________
Live long and suffer! - Ancient Romulan greeting.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 07:53 PM   #67
maryh
Commander
 
maryh's Avatar
 
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
In Star Trek and other fictions Superior officers can hook up with junior officers and everyone smiles and nods because there's more possible drama in that.
You will disagree but some of us felt that this type of hooking-up between the characters cheapened the storyline in to the typical romantic emotional saga that occurs in romantic fiction and does not presume to be cerebral at all. Especially with Spock, who used to be a very cerebral, conflicted and dramatic character naturally. The drama in TOS Spock and romances did not feel forced or maudlin whereas this one did. I do respect others opinions though.

And if I may cut on my own gender, many of those who complain about females in TOS being nothing except the love interest for the main characters eat up this romance and don't notice NuUhura's lack of function on the bridge.
maryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 09:07 PM   #68
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

I think everyone's way too harsh comparing STXI's Uhura, who we've seen for all of two hours, to TOS Uhura, who we've seen for 70something episodes and six films. Pick the right two hours from that and you've got Uhura saying "I'm scared, Captain" in "City on the Edge..." and singing in the rec room.

Star Trek has always depicted a squishy psudo-military of the future where co-workers hook up all the time. I don't see it as a problem. The only time I recall it becoming a problem was that Worf/Dax episode in DS9.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 09:29 PM   #69
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral
 
Location: On the USS Sovereign
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

Must agree with T'Girl. That is another reason I did not think much of the new film.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 09:44 PM   #70
Kelso
Vice Admiral
 
Kelso's Avatar
 
Location: On the destruct button until the last minute!
View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

The Spock/Uhura relationship is one of my favorite things about the new film.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 10:50 PM   #71
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral
 
Ryan Thomas Riddle's Avatar
 
Location: The Bay Area
View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

Kelso wrote: View Post
The Spock/Uhura relationship is one of my favorite things about the new film.
Mine too.
__________________
A mild-mannered reporter
Ryan Thomas Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 10:59 PM   #72
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

maryh wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
In Star Trek and other fictions Superior officers can hook up with junior officers and everyone smiles and nods because there's more possible drama in that.
You will disagree but some of us felt that this type of hooking-up between the characters cheapened the storyline in to the typical romantic emotional saga that occurs in romantic fiction and does not presume to be cerebral at all. Especially with Spock, who used to be a very cerebral, conflicted and dramatic character naturally. The drama in TOS Spock and romances did not feel forced or maudlin whereas this one did. I do respect others opinions though.

And if I may cut on my own gender, many of those who complain about females in TOS being nothing except the love interest for the main characters eat up this romance and don't notice NuUhura's lack of function on the bridge.
The Star Trek franchise is romantic fiction. Sure its gussied up with aliens, rayguns and psuedo-science but at the core its romantic fiction. Spock is a romantic character too. He's like a priest or any other "forbidden fruit" that crops up in fiction. His cool, unemotional remoteness is key to the character. But,Spock is at his "best" when something breaks through his defenses or he's caught off guard and all that "cerebralness" falls away. And thats where Spock is in this movie. Spock's romances (such as they were) in TOS were pretty maudlin.

Not sure what to say about Uhura on the bridge. Once she backed up Kirk they kinda ran of of "function" based things for her to do, but her role is not limited to those functions. Same can be said for McCoy.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2010, 03:34 AM   #73
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain
 
Anticitizen's Avatar
 
Location: Black Mesa Research Facility
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Spock is a romantic character too. He's like a priest or any other "forbidden fruit" that crops up in fiction. His cool, unemotional remoteness is key to the character. But,Spock is at his "best" when something breaks through his defenses or he's caught off guard and all that "cerebralness" falls away. And thats where Spock is in this movie.
The problem is that they didn't give us any of the 'normal' Spock. In this movie, 'breaking through' his defenses didn't occur - he had no defenses. In this movie, we saw Spock engage in two fistfights - out of rage - smootch it up in a romantic relationship with a subordinate, get pissed about a cadet cheating on his test, jettison a crewmember to a remote, forbidden ice planet, and egg on the destruction of an ailing ship. It's true that some of TOS Spock's best moments were when we saw his human half slip through, but the drama doesn't work when that's all you see. We never got a glimpse of the calm, cool, collected, composed Vulcan - we were supposed to believe he held the aforementioned qualities only by way of his speaking in a modulated voice, and the word of other characters telling us 'Vulcans suppress their emotions'. Take away those indicators, and you just have another human character.

'I will not allow you to lecture me.'
__________________
The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2010, 11:51 AM   #74
maryh
Commander
 
maryh's Avatar
 
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Spock is a romantic character too. He's like a priest or any other "forbidden fruit" that crops up in fiction. His cool, unemotional remoteness is key to the character. But,Spock is at his "best" when something breaks through his defenses or he's caught off guard and all that "cerebralness" falls away. And thats where Spock is in this movie.
The problem is that they didn't give us any of the 'normal' Spock. In this movie, 'breaking through' his defenses didn't occur - he had no defenses. In this movie, we saw Spock engage in two fistfights - out of rage - smootch it up in a romantic relationship with a subordinate, get pissed about a cadet cheating on his test, jettison a crewmember to a remote, forbidden ice planet, and egg on the destruction of an ailing ship. It's true that some of TOS Spock's best moments were when we saw his human half slip through, but the drama doesn't work when that's all you see. We never got a glimpse of the calm, cool, collected, composed Vulcan - we were supposed to believe he held the aforementioned qualities only by way of his speaking in a modulated voice, and the word of other characters telling us 'Vulcans suppress their emotions'. Take away those indicators, and you just have another human character.

'I will not allow you to lecture me.'
Exactly. Spock can occasionally slip from his emotional repression but he has to repress emotions most of the time so he has some norm from which he can differ. Smootchig with his girlfriend in front of everyone, then saying in a emotionless voice that her first name is "not up for discussion" is incredibly stupid dialogue that does little to convince the audience that he represses emotions.

I disagree that Spock is a romantic character, rather he is a psychological character. Romances are used to demonstrate how conflicted and suppressed he really is. His appeal was in his resistance to emotion, his inner conflict, his self deception and struggle.

He was also the outsider who appealed to those who did not have great love lives, those who were computer geeks or science nerds, those who faced rejection and loneliness. There was a great appeal to this character's differentness that never appeared in the movie. Even young Spock beats the crap out of his tormentors whereas TOS young Spock repressed with a stiff upper lip. I'll quote Henry James again:

The mystique that surrounded Spock from the start had to do with things he was feeling but could not express: he is a deeply divided character, one who broods about where he belongs and how he relates to the other Enterprise crewmembers. But this film makes it look ridiculously easy for him to get a girl friend and he is surprisingly comfortable necking with his pretty in the transporter room, an act that it is impossible to imagine Spock prime doing. The original Spock was a deeply private person. It isn't that the new film has made Spock Sexy. The old Spock was a whole lot sexier than the new Spock for all of his hidden depths and emotional uncertainties: the new Spock is just too easy all around and there's no real mystery there. He isn't sexy; he's having sex and that's not the same thing at all.

http://henryjenkins.org/2009/05/five_ways_to_start_a_conversat.html

My other complaint is that this romance existed for no reason other than simply to have romance in the film.

Even in the poorly written episodes, TOS romances served a purpose. They advanced the plot, placed impediments in the way of their mission, displayed the premise of the episode, or revealed aspects of the character's personality. On the rare occasion that a character really did love, there was a believable reason he/she did so. Kirk/Keeler are star crossed, idealistic, self sacrificing, highly committed soul mates. Spock/Zarabeth both incredibly alone. There was a cerebralness to the relationship that produced food for thought.

This was simple, mindless romance which served no purpose. If it were eliminated from the film, it would not have made any difference in the story. Most TOS romances were Kirk using women to complete the mission or getting used by them. Or they existed to make their mission tougher for them to complete. This one was so simple, mindless and forced that it felt cheap. As bad as the Twilight romance - he loves her for no reason other than the smell of her blood. They have nothing in common, didn't have to earn love or work for it... no brain food for thought or analysis.

To destroy the dramatic, iconic character of Spock for such a simple, meaningless, teeny bopper mindless drivel is a crime.

Last edited by maryh; May 16 2010 at 12:02 PM.
maryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2010, 09:08 PM   #75
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Was Uhura a linguist?

Spock's role in Star Trek was usually two fold in non-Spockcentric episodes: To give science based exposition in an authoritarian manner and to make wry observations or express exasperation about "humanity". In Spockcentric episodes we usually see just how thin his veener of logic and control can be. Plus we see him struggle and even get a glimse of the idea that emotional control and supression may not be as great as it sounds. A usual side effect of Spock's control slipping is a fight with Kirk. They've fought more times than any two Trek characters. Tradition should be maintained. This movie is Spockcentric so we get to see him do more than observe and exposit.


Spocks appeal goes beyond nerds and the socially awkward. He was a bonafide sex symbol to a lot girls ( and probably boys) of all types and backbrounds. My own sisters, neither of whom could be called nerds or geeks ( I was the family nerd), were gaga over Spock as girls. His romantic appeal is the challenge to be the one to breakthrough that wall of logic and contol. The old cliche that they can be the one to "change" him.

I seem to recall young Spock getting into a fight in "Yesteryear" so "stiff upper lip" may not be accuarate for him as a youth in spite of what might have been said in "Journey to Babel."



I didnt know Henry James was a Trek fan. I suppose he would find Spock's conflicting Vulcan and human sides interesting.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
uhura

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.