RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Posts: 5,358,518
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 498
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 5 2010, 01:28 AM   #1
indolover
Fleet Captain
 
Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

I know that Deanna helping out Worf in raising Alexander brought them closer, but what did they see in each other?

I can understand Worf liking Jadzia. Jadzia liked Klingon culture, and was a strong personality. Worf liking K'Ehlyer was a no-brainer.

But Deanna? was it because Deanna was kind-hearted and helpful? And why did Deanna like Worf? Because Worf is honourable and decent? and....well the bedroom aspect? lol.. I didn't seem Deanna was very strong physically. Yet one reason that Jadzia was able to fight with a bat'leth was because she was physically able and strong.

It just seems there are less similarities between the two, well compared with Jadzia and Worf anyhow.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 01:35 AM   #2
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

The companion explains this somewhat.

As early as season five, the writers were toying with putting the two together. Go back and watch Ethics or New Ground. A major point of bonding seems to have been their mutual care for Alexander.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Mojochi
Commodore
 
Mojochi's Avatar
 
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

I'd say that the direction, though in its infancy, was that (Believe it or not) Deanna likely saw Worf as a strong, forthright, intelligent, caring, heartfelt person, with a lot of growth potential, as he demonstrated in the time we got to know him

Worf, being raised among Humans has expanded his horizons. Deanna may not have been the physical type, like Jadzia, but, she was strongly independent & did in fact challenge him on an intellectual level. More over, the relationship did seem to develop out of Worf recognizing how beneficial Deanna could be as a maternal figure in Alexander's life. I think Worf came to appreciate a more Human kind of maternal figure for his son, who's part Human, & also raised for a while, on Earth. (A shame he never got it) I think, in Deanna, Worf saw someone with whom he could be content having a family. Did he & Jadzia ever even talk about having a family?

Besides, apart from being beautiful, I'm betting a Betazoid woman can be rather bewitching
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Pauln6
Commodore
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

In the holodeck cowboy episode (a Fistful of Datas?), one element that was written out was that Alexander wanted Troi to play the saloon hostess so that Worf had to kiss her at the end but she foiled his plans by wanting to be a gunslinger. It's a shame because that is about the only time the relationship would have worked for me!

Troi could have been a good foil for him if they'd allowed Marina to let her hair down and play Troi with a wilder side but they always played her as so demure and there never seemed to be much in the way of chemistry. Plus if she dumped Riker because she didn't want to serve on the same ship as her lover why would she date Worf?
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 02:37 PM   #5
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting
 
macloudt's Avatar
 
Location: A Canuck in southwest England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

Deanna may have been weaker physically than Jadzia but she was never, to my knowledge, intimidated by Worf. She accepted him for who and what he was, and saw his gentler side. I reckon Worf appreciated someone who didn't judge him on his looks alone, as it were.
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 03:47 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

I may be in the minority, but I never particularly liked the Worf and Jadzia thing, because I felt that Worf and Troi did make a better couple (had Worf not joined DS9, I think their relationship would have continued in the TNG movies and it would have been their marriage in Nemesis, IMO). I always imagined that Troi's empathic abilities enabled her to see past his gruff exterior demeanor from the very beginning and that, as already mentioned, Alexander was someone who brought them closer together.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 06:31 PM   #7
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
In the holodeck cowboy episode (a Fistful of Datas?), one element that was written out was that Alexander wanted Troi to play the saloon hostess so that Worf had to kiss her at the end but she foiled his plans by wanting to be a gunslinger. It's a shame because that is about the only time the relationship would have worked for me!
I've never heard about this dropped plot point. Where does it come from?

As to whether or not Worf and Jadzia ever talked about starting a family, at the end of season five, Jadzia finds out that she can get pregnant by Worf, and I think even her last words were "Our baby would have been beautiful..." or something to that effect. Clearly, a family was on their minds.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 10:14 PM   #8
Volvic
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
In the holodeck cowboy episode (a Fistful of Datas?), Plus if she dumped Riker because she didn't want to serve on the same ship as her lover why would she date Worf?
Maybe she was using that excuse as a get out clause to save herself from getting hurt again? In TNG Worf hardly came across as the love-em-and-leave-em type.
Volvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 02:13 AM   #9
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral
 
Shatnertage's Avatar
 
Location: Ward Fowler's gofer.
View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

Didn't Troi break Worf's wrist in Clues? Or am I misremembering that completely?

I'm not saying that has anything to do with how they got together, but it might have given him more respect for her, even if she was possessed by an alien at the time. I could see it getting his attention, at the very least.
__________________
I don't say 'sabotage.' You say 'sabotage.' I say 'sabataage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 02:17 AM   #10
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

indolover wrote: View Post
Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?
Well, first one of the lousy S7 writers felt something in their ass that needed to be removed...
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 03:52 AM   #11
Mojochi
Commodore
 
Mojochi's Avatar
 
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

shatnertage wrote: View Post
Didn't Troi break Worf's wrist in Clues? Or am I misremembering that completely?

I'm not saying that has anything to do with how they got together, but it might have given him more respect for her, even if she was possessed by an alien at the time. I could see it getting his attention, at the very least.
Dude, that was like some crazy xenophobic alien strength possessing her body
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 03:54 AM   #12
Mojochi
Commodore
 
Mojochi's Avatar
 
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

Oh yeah, she shot him down with a phaser in "Powerplay" too
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 04:24 AM   #13
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral
 
DevilEyes's Avatar
 
Location: basking in the warmth of the Fire Caves
View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Worf, being raised among Humans has expanded his horizons. Deanna may not have been the physical type, like Jadzia, but, she was strongly independent & did in fact challenge him on an intellectual level. More over, the relationship did seem to develop out of Worf recognizing how beneficial Deanna could be as a maternal figure in Alexander's life. I think Worf came to appreciate a more Human kind of maternal figure for his son, who's part Human, & also raised for a while, on Earth. (A shame he never got it) I think, in Deanna, Worf saw someone with whom he could be content having a family. Did he & Jadzia ever even talk about having a family?
Yes, in fact that's exactly what they were doing in the season 6 finale before she died, when they consulted Bashir on the possibility of a Klingon and a Trill having a baby together.

And for the record, Worf and Deanna never worked for me. Worf and Jadzia - yes,
Worf and K'Ehleyr - yes, definitely. Worf and Deanna... nah.
__________________
Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 04:51 AM   #14
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

Worf and Deanna was okay at least it wasn't out of the blue like Seven and Chakotay...which seemed to basically develop out of that holodeck program she created to explore relationships and began to obtain feelings for Chakotay much to the Doctor's demise.

What bothers me is that Worf and Troi never was touched on again after the seventh season....a line in Generations would have been nice like oh we decided that it didn't work or something like that.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 05:17 AM   #15
LeadHead
Director of Comedy
 
LeadHead's Avatar
 
Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2
Re: Deanna/Worf relationship - how did it develop?

Worf and Troi was a good pairing. Too bad it never really got off the ground. One of the things I was very disapointed in about Generations was that there was no reference made back on that whatsoever. Nothing major was needed to reference it in the film, just a peck on the cheek or something at Worfs promotion ceremony.
__________________
Thanks to Nerys Myk for my awesome avatar!

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.