To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 26 2010, 02:55 PM   #1
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

SyFy movie set on Mars - in development

Syfy has just closed a deal to bring Red Faction to television via a two-hour movie, which will also serve as a back-door pilot.
set around the year 2075...

all the info here:
4/26/2010
Red Faction movie on SyFy

Actual science fiction on Syfy?! Great news!
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 03:22 PM   #2
FreezeC77
Commodore

Re: SyFy movie set on Mars - in development

I doubt in my lifetime I'll see a fictional movie actually filmed not on the Earth... Too bad NASA stopped after going to the Moon or we probably would have had something filmed on the Moon by now.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 03:34 PM   #3
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

movie shot on Earth

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
I doubt in my lifetime I'll see a fictional movie actually filmed not on the Earth...
FreezeC77 it is totally unnecessary to shoot a scripted narrative story not on Earth. With green/blue screen technology it is far easier to have a full crew and access to any actors not requiring the crew to undergo astronaut training just to get to the 'location'.

You can be assured the next time we go to the moon or an asteroid or a manned mission to Mars there will be multiple high definition cameras shooting science documentaries. Think "Deadliest Catch: Crab Fishing in Alaska" with the cost of HD videocameras dropping all the time they use a lot.
60: The number of cameras the film crews starts with each season. Only a third of the cameras are still working when they return to land. The others are ruined by saltwater and freezing temperatures.
The producers can figure the cost of them into the production, same as future science documentaries in outer space.

Check out the recent great film "Moon" by Duncan Jones and how that was shot on soundstages instead of the Moon.

Recently saw the film Surrogates on DVD and listening to the commentary I was surprised how a 1 minute scene was mostly a CGI location. That type of location looked like something on the X-Files when the camera reveals the location being a wide shot and on that TV show it would be a real location with real set dressing & props. These days with CGI you can create a location cheaper than actually building it in real life.
Movies are a commercial endeavor and they are created to make money. The cheaper you can create the narrative film the more profit you can eventually get if it is commercially successful. Look at the most successful independent movie of all time: The Blair Witch Project (1999) [based on production costs vs. profits].

The whole motion capture technology takes filmmaking to a different level somewhere between live-action and animation. Some people are more purist and prefer to see live actors on screen at least and that's understandable but to shoot at a location where is it just totally impractical due to the costs of getting the actors, professional filmmaker crewmembers, and film equipment to the location is ridiculous.

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; April 26 2010 at 03:48 PM.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Syfy has just closed a deal to bring Red Faction to television via a two-hour movie, which will also serve as a back-door pilot.
set around the year 2075...

all the info here:
4/26/2010
Red Faction movie on SyFy

Actual science fiction on Syfy?! Great news!
WTF are they thinking?
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 05:08 PM   #5
FreezeC77
Commodore

Oh I know it's unnecessary... But it's also unnecessary to film a movie scene set in the Sahara Desert in the actual Sahara... You can do it in the US, but some films do travel overseas to do it

I was just musing that I think at some point in the future, probably two or three centuries down the road with the slowness to space exploration there will be some fictional program filmed off the Earth
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Because if movies based on computer games are annoying, then I'm sure a whole TV series based on one will be awesome.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 08:51 PM   #7
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

I liked the game...but I'm sure the movie/show will suck since it's on SyFy.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I wish someone would make a movie based on Ben Bova's Mars. Closest we got to it was the Race to Mars miniseries that appeared on the Discovery Channel.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2010, 07:15 PM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'm not familiar with video games. What's the plot to Red Faction and how is it "real sci fi"?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Aragorn
Admiral

I thought this was gonna be about SyFy getting the rights to air The Asylum's "Princess of Mars" (their John Carter ripoff).

Will Mars look like the forests of British Columbia?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I'm not familiar with video games. What's the plot to Red Faction and how is it "real sci fi"?

The gist of it is that the miners rebel as a union against the mining corporation for the way they're being treated on Mars, which is a stretch to call it "real sci-fi". It's honestly very much like the situation happening in my town at the moment, with an ongoing mining strike of 10 months, the worst ever in the company's history. Very much a parallel here.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2010, 09:21 PM   #12
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The gist of it is that the miners rebel as a union against the mining corporation for the way they're being treated on Mars, which is a stretch to call it "real sci-fi".
That's not "real sci fi" at all if the basic story could be placed in a non sci-fi setting and essentially proceed as written.

But I won't hold that against it. Most TV and movie sci fi is just other genres (usually action, sometimes thriller, occasionally romance) with sci fi window dressing. At least the protagonists (presumably) are union members and not space marines or a space sheriff. That's kinda different.
Old April 30 2010, 09:47 PM   #13
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

As I said in the thread over in gaming, if they want to do a Martian rebellion TV show, why not pick up the rights to Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy?
Old April 30 2010, 11:02 PM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It's some kinda co-marketing thing with the game. Games are more lucrative for co-marketing than novels.
Old April 30 2010, 11:19 PM   #15
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I thought this was gonna be about SyFy getting the rights to air The Asylum's "Princess of Mars" (their John Carter ripoff).
I saw that. It was like nuTrek; they recycled some names and terminology, but it otherwise bore no resemblance to the original. Other than that, it was a fairly enjoyable B-Movie.