RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,694
Posts: 5,841,259
Members: 26,179
Currently online: 354
Newest member: thomasodong

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Merchandise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Shatner Writing Book About Friendship With Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Nimoy Documentary ON COPD In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 4 2010, 10:02 PM   #46
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: ...But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes.
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

That's a pretty attractive cover; not bad at all.
__________________
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, and the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 10:03 PM   #47
Csalem
Commodore
 
Csalem's Avatar
 
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

Maybe it will appear on the spine of the book. Cover looks well. Dunno why, but when I was imagining the books in my head I kept picturing colourful covers like those on the Double Helix series. Bit bizarre really.
__________________
Csalem
Csalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 10:14 PM   #48
TerraUnam
Commander
 
TerraUnam's Avatar
 
Location: United Earth
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Well, it's incredibly long and narrow, so unless it's flying diagonally across the page it'd be pretty hard to make it all that prominent. It's just not shaped very well to fit in a MMPB-dimension image.
So a profile is definitely its best side. Aventine wouldn't cut such a dramatic image if it was in the same pose used for the Enterprise on the cover of Greater than the Sum.
TerraUnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 10:20 PM   #49
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Well, it's incredibly long and narrow, so unless it's flying diagonally across the page it'd be pretty hard to make it all that prominent. It's just not shaped very well to fit in a MMPB-dimension image.
It could've been a little more head-on, foreshortened enough to fit. I gather there were some delays in the rendering of the new image that was going to be used, so they had to go with the SotL calendar image instead. That could be why the angle wasn't as well-suited for this cover composition as it could've been.
__________________
Written Worlds -- Christopher L. Bennett's blog and webpage
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 10:23 PM   #50
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

Personally I never had a problem with the "Ezri ditches Julian" decision. The way it was written and presented, plus the development she'd been going through, makes quite a bit of sense. Also, it's been three-four years since the breakup, so I don't look for them to get back together personally.

I really liked Chrysalis, so looking forward to more Sarena.

It doesn't actually say that Aventine will be facing off with a Breen fleet, so I'd be interested to see if the Pact fleet is mixed, maybe as part of increasing cooperation. Be interesting to see Captain Dax stand up to whoever the Pact sends. Though OTOH, Ezri having dealings with the Breen after what happened in The Final Chapter is something I've been looking forward to...

I think that cover is absolutely lovely. I do wish Aventine was more prominently displayed, but I won't complain about what's there. Ezri is lovely as always, though am I right in thinking that's one of the initial promo shots?

And... bearded Bashir?! I wonder if that's gonna stick around, be an interesting new look for him.


The other books sound great too! Especially RBoE, and I'm looking forward to more spotlight on the Gorn.

ETA:

TerraUnam wrote:
So a profile is definitely its best side. Aventine wouldn't cut such a dramatic image if it was in the same pose used for the Enterprise on the cover of Greater than the Sum.
Oh I dunno, based on the 3D render Aventine looks very shark-like from certain angles.
__________________
Even in the darkness every color can be found
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 10:39 PM   #51
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

Defcon wrote: View Post
David Mack has posted the cover for Zero Sum Game on his blog.

Damn, I was just about to post a link as Mr Macks Twitter thing on facebook just informed me that he had posted the image here.

It looks very good, not keen on a publicity photo from ten years ago with a "shopped" beard on for Bashir, couldn't they use a recent photo of Alexander Siddig as he had a beard in Merlin a couple of years ago.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 10:53 PM   #52
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain
 
Man of Steel's Avatar
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Defcon wrote: View Post
David Mack has posted the cover for Zero Sum Game on his blog.

Damn, I was just about to post a link as Mr Macks Twitter thing on facebook just informed me that he had posted the image here.

It looks very good, not keen on a publicity photo from ten years ago with a "shopped" beard on for Bashir, couldn't they use a recent photo of Alexander Siddig as he had a beard in Merlin a couple of years ago.
Yeah, I asked him if I could link the cover to his blog as well not knowing he already had... My apologies Mr. Mack.

I'm loving the cover but what's with the beard? He doesn't look good in it.
__________________
"Do You Wanna Build A Snowman"----- Anna

Last edited by Man of Steel; May 4 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 10:57 PM   #53
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

"Looks like a terrorist"?

__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 10:59 PM   #54
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

Man of Steel wrote: View Post

I'm loving the cover but what's with the beard? He doesn't look good in it. Looks like a terrorist.
Seriously? You think that because he is of Arab heritage and he has a beard, he must be a terrorist!!!!

Do you need to make such numptyish comments and then put a fucking smiley afterwards? Hell, do you need to make such fucking numptyish comments anyway?
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 10:59 PM   #55
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
It looks very good, not keen on a publicity photo from ten years ago with a "shopped" beard on for Bashir, couldn't they use a recent photo of Alexander Siddig as he had a beard in Merlin a couple of years ago.
Probably not - I don't know for certain if this applies to Star Trek, but the Star Wars novels are only allowed to use the old images from the movies/publicity photos and age them; they can't legally use current images of the actors as reference.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 11:00 PM   #56
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

I think it's an excellent way of suggesting the 6 or so years that've gone by since last we saw him. Definitely looks different.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 11:13 PM   #57
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

ATimson wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
It looks very good, not keen on a publicity photo from ten years ago with a "shopped" beard on for Bashir, couldn't they use a recent photo of Alexander Siddig as he had a beard in Merlin a couple of years ago.
Probably not - I don't know for certain if this applies to Star Trek, but the Star Wars novels are only allowed to use the old images from the movies/publicity photos and age them; they can't legally use current images of the actors as reference.
I suspect whatever rights they (both CBS for Trek and Lucasfilm for Wars) have to actors' images are the actors' images as they appeared as said character, not their images in general. Which makes sense.
__________________
"I don't like adventure. I'm a stay-at-home-and-read kind of guy."
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 11:17 PM   #58
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher
 
Dayton Ward's Avatar
 
View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

^ From what I understand, that's pretty much the way it works.
__________________
www.daytonward.com

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 11:23 PM   #59
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
It looks very good, not keen on a publicity photo from ten years ago with a "shopped" beard on for Bashir, couldn't they use a recent photo of Alexander Siddig as he had a beard in Merlin a couple of years ago.
Probably not - I don't know for certain if this applies to Star Trek, but the Star Wars novels are only allowed to use the old images from the movies/publicity photos and age them; they can't legally use current images of the actors as reference.
I suspect whatever rights they (both CBS for Trek and Lucasfilm for Wars) have to actors' images are the actors' images as they appeared as said character, not their images in general. Which makes sense.
Ah ok, makes sense really.

Well in that case, it is a mighty fine beard and one I wish I could grow myself
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 11:32 PM   #60
chelly
Commander
 
Re: Official Final Typhon Pact blurbs

I like the covers, the beard actually looks nice on Dr. Bashir. The Aventine looks like a very nice ship.
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ds9relaunch, post destiny, trek books, typhon pact

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.