Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 2 2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: Lana Lang & SMALLVILLE...

Lana was the least of Smallville's numerous problems. And it also seems like a show that is the peak of the actors' careers -- not a career-builder.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 09:37 PM   #17
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah I agree that Clark's relationship with Alica was far more well written and executed than his with Lana. I really felt Clark's pain when Alica was killed. An echo of the roar that Superman screams after Lois is killed by the Earthquake in the first Superman movie

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 11:11 PM   #18
Jetfire

^ Agreed.
Old May 2 2010, 11:38 PM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Yeah I agree that Clark's relationship with Alica was far more well written and executed than his with Lana. I really felt Clark's pain when Alica was killed. An echo of the roar that Superman screams after Lois is killed by the Earthquake in the first Superman movie
Exactly, it was well written and acted. So much chemistry and you really did feel for Clark when she died, and I felt the same way about his scream. I think it worked so well because the actress did a good job with Alicia.
Old May 2 2010, 11:43 PM   #20
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

One of my problems with the Clark/Lana relationship is that I always felt Clark would have to move on voluntarily from Lana in order to grow as a hero. But he never gets over the relationship. He only stopped it because it literally would have killed him to get close. In order to take the next step, he had to put that relationship behind him voluntarily and he never did. That hurt him as far as I'm concerned.

Also, Clark really never grew up during this relationship. To him, he always viewed Lana as his perfect, fairy tale princess when the show had shown him and the audience that was anything but.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 11:44 PM   #21
Jetfire

^
Sarah Carter is great...I liked Alicia alot.
Old May 3 2010, 12:14 AM   #22
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Sarah Carter is yummy...she's exactly what Lana should have been. Changed by her exposure to Clark's goodness (although she still had her bad girl streak in her) and inspired to do good with her powers because of him too. Lana was too much of a hindrance and she I think acknowledged this herself in an episode or two. It's too bad how she was handled by the writers over the course of her time on the series.

Old May 3 2010, 06:16 PM   #23
Jetfire

^
That is how it should have been. I like the Lana from season 1 by season 2 they turned her into a non-redeemable character. She was still the sweet girl next door type. In season 2 and continuing on the character just got more stupid...making horrible choices. The writers had pretty much killed anything good about Lana by the ladder part of season 5.
Old May 3 2010, 06:36 PM   #24
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Saturn Girl says to her in "Legion"
So let me get this straight: this show (which I've never seen and have no desire to see) has Clark Kent consistently in a blue t-shirt and red jacket (at least Gilligan had an excuse for not changing his wardrobe), has featured various people from the Justice League of America, including Green Arrow, has featured the Legion of Superheroes, has Lana Lang in it...
and no appearance of Superboy/Man.
Asinine.
I like a little Superman in my Superman. Hell, I didn't even watch Lois & Clark because they were more focused on Clark than Superman (and because Superman shouldn't look like a Eurasian college jock).
A Superman series without Superman. The mind reels.
Old May 3 2010, 06:57 PM   #25
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I honestly didn't know that Dean Caine was Amerasian until I found out about it in an interview. Silly reason not to like him though considering Superman is a Kryptonian and not a WASP.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:09 PM   #26
Othello
Commodore

Other than the Luthors Lana Lang was the best character on Smallville. And I LOVED her turn with Lex. I wanted it to last much lonmger than it did as there was a lot they could have done there.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:23 PM   #27
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I actually thought her relationship with Lex was much more rounded out and interesting than her relationship with Clark. She learned a lot as a result from it. There were trust issues with both relationships that ultimately resulted in those relationships ending. Lana couldn't trust either men. Clark and Lana should have worked but for some reason the writers were so hung up on Clark concealing his secret from her. I know he was trying to protect her if he really loved her then he should have allowed Lana to trust him...much like the comics. I'm curious if the writers based Smallville Lana on the adult Lana Lang from the comics? She had tendencies similar to the Smallville character when it came to her relationship with Clark.

Old May 3 2010, 07:25 PM   #28
Othello
Commodore

DeadmeatDiggory wrote: View Post
The Truth is I never understood what was so special about her! I have nothing againist the actress; well, I used to have nothing againist the actress. But I would never for a heartbeat hold a torch like Clark does for someone like Lana or Kristen Kreuk. Plus every freak of the week was head over heels for her, and it NEVER made any sense.
Yes, it did make sense. She's the ultimate "girl next door" type. She can be pretty, sexy and cute. Not many women can pull that off. That's a killer combo.

Now Allison Mack is another thing. From the first moment she was onscreen I had a thing for her, and lets face if the events of Smallville were real life so would have Clark. We all know that the strongest relationships offen grow out of friendship.
I like the Chloe character but she us WAYYYYY overrated in my book. In a big way. She's a great friend no doubt and Clark is often a douchebag to her but, while i can see the appeal in general, it's wayy out of proportion to what is deserved IMHO.

The same could be said for Lois Lane. From the first moment Erica Durance was on screen we were all smitten with her, and it wasn't just her beauty. Her personally was top notch too.
I've never liked the Lois Lane character at all. This is a decent version of her but I've never liked her that much. Also, Durance, while no doubt pretty, isn't a stunner by any means.

But the same couldn't be said about Lana - most times she was just annoying as hell.
I disagree but that's me. I know I'm in the minority on this one but I'm used to this board not having much sense/tatse in lots of stuff.

On top of the above, it was pretty clear early on that Clark & Lana (or more to the point Tom & Kristen) had zero chemistry together, and yet TPTB insisted in forcing the relationship down our throats like it was the cure for cancer.
I disagree. They went together well. They got a big bum rap on this from fans. They had a bunch of great scenes together.

And for what..? Because Clark and Lana were a couple in the comics? We all know that Clark ends up with Lois, that Lana is just a teenage romance and nothing else. And yet from the way the show was written, you would have thought they were of the mind Lois Who?... which would have been fine, but then they brought her into the show in Season Four as a main character.
First loves are often BY FAR the most powerful love you ever have in your life. There's often nothing like the passion and emotion behind that first love. First loves are often epic and what are future people get compared to.

On top of that, they kept bringing them together and then splitting 'em up. Six times by my count, and even for a real relatsionship thats enough. Any other show would have moved the character on to someone, perhaps the man she actually married in the comics, but the casting for Pete was so off (no offence to Sam Jones III, I loved him), that there was no way that he and Lana would ever end up together.
Nothing wrong with that. People often hang on to loves many times over until they finally go their own seperate ways.

Any other show would have re-cast the character, but after Seven years there was no hope for her. And in the end, Lana Lang became a character that by her very presence made the show worse than it ever had to be. Lets hope we never see her again.
There was ZERO reason to recast her. Zero. Zip. Nada. None. And I'd love nothing more than to see her again on the show.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:27 PM   #29
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I'd love it if they would bring Lana back so:

A. Clark could choose Lois over her and

B. So she can get killed off.

Nothing would make me happier.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:47 PM   #30
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Lana was my second alternative to be the Red Queen. In order to kill Lana off they'd have to figure out how to strip her of her powers first and that would be pretty convoluted and complicated IMO. A problem of giving her that power suit in the first place.