Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Trade off for Kes for Seven worth it?
Yes absolutely 45 54.88%
No 24 29.27%
Other 13 15.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1 2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Udat
Rear Admiral

Seven of Kes

Do you think the trade off for Kes for Seven was worth it?!
Old May 1 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Lor'Vela
Captain

Re: Seven of Kes

If you asked me by the end of Season 4, I would have said yes. But on reflection of the whole series, I think I would have prefered it if they stuck with Kes, because quite frankly, I just did not like the direction the Seven character took. She just bugged me as the seasons went on, what with her relentless speeches about being severed from the collective, the screentime she had and the way she just expresses anger all the time. Seven just... bored me.
Old May 1 2010, 11:15 PM   #3
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

You know the funny thing? I'm not sure. I'd love to say I would definitely think so if they'd traded Kim for Seven instead, but I do love Timeless just the way it is.

Without knowing what direction the series would have gone in had Kes remained, I can't give a firm answer.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Yes, absolutely.

There is no major character on Star Trek that I disliked more than Kes. She was just so sickly sweet and her voice annoyed me.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2010, 11:28 PM   #5
Shatinator
Commander

I choose Other, they could of easily had kept her and Killed of Harry, which is what they orginally intended to do, until that dawm TV guide issue that had him as one of the sexist males on TV??? If she had stayed and killed Harry, it could of provided some good character growth for Janeway, on the true cost of her sometimes 'insane' choices -that they can have TRUE costs, that you can not re-set. Esspecially considering how protective she was of Harry. Also the Kes / Tuvok relationship could of devolped nicely along with her powers, that alone could of produced some good ep's. They could of also taken a serious exploration of her 7 yr life span and how to deal with in, far better than "Fury" turned out. All this and they still could of had the Seven ep we knew. To me it would of been a win-win. I would of also liked to of seen how a Kes / Seven scene would play out, can you imagine a Kes / Doctor / Seven scene...ohh the humanity.

-The Shatinator
Shatinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Joeman
Captain

If Fury was any any real indication as to where they would have taken Kes, then definitely.

I really didn't see much use for the Kes character anyway. I mean I liked her OK and all, but the whole relationship with Neelix thing was just dreadful. She really didn't have enough of a back story to base many episodes around her, or at least not to the level that Seven had.

Great tradeoff in my opinion.
Old May 2 2010, 12:11 AM   #7
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Hm. Can we keep Seven and not only ditch Kes, but also Neelix and/or Kim?

I can't wait to hear Lynx chime in on this one...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 01:46 AM   #8
StarryEyed
Commodore

Absolutely.

I don't have a problem with Kes specifically but the Ocompa is one of the most ridiculous races ever conceived in Star Trek.

Humanoid but mature in a year with a lifespan of less than ten? Carry babies in a pouch on their back? Almost god-like psionic abilities? Right.
StarryEyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 01:51 AM   #9
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Other.

They should've found a way to bring Tasha Yar back and on Voyager, and possibly as a Borg.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 04:02 AM   #10
kimc
Coffee Mod

Lor'Vela wrote: View Post
If you asked me by the end of Season 4, I would have said yes. But on reflection of the whole series, I think I would have prefered it if they stuck with Kes, because quite frankly, I just did not like the direction the Seven character took.
I don't think they should have dumped Kes just to bring on Seven. Sure she was an interesting character at first and Ryan is a good actress but the borg became way overdone and Seven was reduced to Mary Sue status by the finale.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 05:10 AM   #11
Voyagerian
Commander

I'm sure plenty of folks can argue against it from either a preferential POV, or how they view it improved the series by having Seven on, but, certainly in the former vein, no, can't say I personally cared for the addition,at cost of the other, but, I would have had no problems with having both on STV.If one likes Seven, fine, you won't hear me bashing her publicly.And, yes, to be fair, they created another 'Spock-like' char. for the show, a commentator on the human condition, something Neelix(poor, maligned fellow he seems to so often be here) and Kes were initially intended to help serve as.Berman says they failed in being able to find something further for Kes, well, then, the fault is there.It does stink, that one poll had some impact, or has often been said so, for keeping Wang vs. Lien, not that I didn't like Kim(Another targeted STV crewmember in some circles) It shouldn't have had to come down to that, but, there ya go.
Old May 2 2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Kathryn-janeway
Lieutenant Commander

I liked both characters. But i think kes should have stayed tbh, I loved the bond janeway and kes had together for example the times kes would go to janeways quarters to talk and the times janeway hugged kes when she was down ect. But i thought janeway had a very different approach to seven, don't get me wrong she treated seven and kes the same, but janeways was more of a mentor to seven in regards to developing her in to a human and not a borg.! i like both actress and characters but i think Jennifer did a wonderful job and its a shame paramount let her go and choose Jeri because she would boost ratings, which i just dont find very fair. They should of got rid of wang, kes and 7 could have been more developed than kim. But at the end of the day it really dosent matter because it was mainly focused around janeway 7 and the doctor.
Old May 2 2010, 04:17 PM   #13
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

View Adm_Hawthorne's Twitter Profile

Yes, I think it was a good trade off.

By mid-season 3, it was becoming fairly apparent the writers didn't really know what to do with Kes. They weren't really tackling the fact that she only had 7 years to live, and they were trying to really push her in a Mary Sue direction where she was going to develop these super elite mental powers. Kes was never meant to be a Mary Sue character.

I think, if the writers had kept her, they would have completely destroyed her.

As it stood, they removed her before they could do any more damage, and I'm okay with that.
Adm_Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 05:19 PM   #14
Lynx
Rear Admiral

No, definitely not.

Kes was a much better character and the show was also much better in seasons 1-3 when all characters had their share of the spotlight.

Joeman wrote:
If Fury was any any real indication as to where they would have taken Kes, then definitely.
"Fury" was an ugly exception. It was made when the character had already been dumped for more than two seasons, there was no other reason to come up with that episode than to finally destroy the character for some weird reason.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 06:07 PM   #15
Udat
Rear Admiral

^ Now posters do not provok the Lynx, he is after all a wild animal!