Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 6 2010, 09:57 PM   #16
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile
Re: Will blu-ray play on an HD monitor?

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Pretty sick of the snooty "we've had HD for years!" attitude of a certain group of nerds. Yes, fine, wonderful - but tell me, where did you get your 1080p content in the 90s? Anyone? No? Aye.
Why, in games of course. 1600x1200 would actually be higher pixel density then 1080p if you cropped it to 4:3. Same with 1024x768 compared to 720p. It is the duty required of all of us members of the glorious PC master race to point this out to the dirty console peasants at any possible opportunity.

Old May 7 2010, 06:23 PM   #17
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Right, 'cos we were all running games at 1600x1200 in the 90s. Even if we were, it's not just about the resolution you render your geometry at - but I don't expect the "glorious PC master race" (Yahtzee taketh the piss, btw...) to see beyond their silly numbers-obsessed way of looking at things any time soon.

I do hope you're not genuinely one of these tiresome anti-console PC snobs, because it's boring and turgid. I'm much more concerned with playing good games than I am with quibbling over the hardware they happen to run on .

Regards,

A Long Time PC Gamer

Hermiod:
...a certain group of nerds.
Calm down eh?
Old May 7 2010, 06:30 PM   #18
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
(Yahtzee taketh the piss, btw...)
I would have thought by referencing him it should be obvious that I was as well, but I guess this is the internet after all...
Old May 7 2010, 06:43 PM   #19
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

I did wonder, that's why I asked.

You know as well as I do the number of irony deficient people who post pretty much what you did and believe every word.
Old May 7 2010, 06:52 PM   #20
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

Well it's still somewhat true in terms of pure resolution. My memory is pretty fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure I remember running 1024x768 pretty commonly in the mid to late 90's, with 16x12 starting to show up a bunch at the very tail end.

But of course, as you said there's a lot more to graphics then just pure resolution. But if we're talking purely about the capabilities of the display device you'll still find people who will cling to their late 90's era ~22", 70lbs CRT monitor.
Old May 7 2010, 07:08 PM   #21
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Arrqh wrote: View Post
I'd expect any monitor or video card labeled "HD" to also support HDCP over DVI, which older hardware doesn't. And you'd need that to play Bluray content.
I agree but some videocards have HDMI outputs which will connect directly to an HDTV or an HD monitor with HDMI imputs.
other monitor inputs are dependent on your videocard.

FordSVT wrote: View Post
If you have a Blu ray player in your computer it will certainly display Blu ray movies, otherwise why would they put it in your computer?
FordSVT a computer has a BD-ROM drive. It happens to be able to also play BD-Video.

With the ability to add firmware updates to a standalone BR player I'd suggest saving up for one that has BD-Live Profile 2.0 as you can get a lot more content via the Internet and have less issues with new discs that have newer DRM software.

If you are purchasing a new computer monitor consider getting one with HDMI inputs.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 08:46 PM   #22
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Arrqh wrote: View Post
Well it's still somewhat true in terms of pure resolution. My memory is pretty fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure I remember running 1024x768 pretty commonly in the mid to late 90's, with 16x12 starting to show up a bunch at the very tail end.

But of course, as you said there's a lot more to graphics then just pure resolution. But if we're talking purely about the capabilities of the display device you'll still find people who will cling to their late 90's era ~22", 70lbs CRT monitor.
I was quite happy with my Avitron AV-7TF till it died last year. I still miss the color reproduction, though the RGBLED in my laptop is pretty good.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2010, 09:25 PM   #23
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
FordSVT wrote: View Post
If you have a Blu ray player in your computer it will certainly display Blu ray movies, otherwise why would they put it in your computer?
FordSVT a computer has a BD-ROM drive. It happens to be able to also play BD-Video.
I don't get your point, I didn't say otherwise.