RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,654
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 578
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 5 2010, 05:19 AM   #1
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

Free Comic Book Day - What did you get?

Myself, I got War of the Supermen #0, Iron Man/Thor crossover, and GI Joe #155. I love this event. I try to attend every year. My only gripe: Why do stores limit so few issues to people when there are over 30+ issues to give out? My store only allowed 3.

I say if one wants one of each, they should be allowed to. One year, my store only allowed one issue. I understand that they may only have so many issues, but the store I go to certainly recieved enough for people to get what they want. Heck, they even had stuff from last year! I would've loved to hasve gotten Green Hornet #1, or the War Machine click (Which counted as a free comic).

Other than that, I look foward to Free comic book day 2011. I'll just have to plan ahead next time so I won't be so shocked!
Old May 5 2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: Free Comic Book Day - What did you get?

I'm glad you opened this topic. I only got one comic. But before I mention it let me give you a preface of what happened earlier that day:

I hit the flea market and was looking through these old comics. The guy said that each one was a dollar. They had plastic wraps. I found my favorite issue of any comic ever, in there... G.I Joe #21... the legendary silent issue, in great condition.

I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, Free Comic Book Day for me was all about G.I. Joe #155 and a half! Larry Hama returns, as does the old continuity. I feel like a kid again!

And, the preface mentions issue #21 as the historic landmark it is!
Old May 5 2010, 05:54 AM   #3
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

That's pretty freaky! Buying a classic GI Joe issue that had an effect on the FCD issue! Pretty neat. I joked with the retailer that what Cobra Commander says on the cover (155) is just before he yells, 'Retreeeat!'. I do with that the movie was more like the COBRA mini-series that came out a few months before Rise of Cobra.
Old May 5 2010, 06:01 AM   #4
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Yeah. I'm not much into superhero comics (unless they are female heros) but I loved G.I. Joe all my life. The idea of a secret govenrment organization was played very well in the comics, as was the idea that Cobra was, indeed, a terrorist organization. The whole idea of a ninja clan (barely) thriving in modern day society was also interesting. I think Hama had scripts that were multi-layered and complex. I was reviewing a random old issue recently and, as an adult, I found myself intrigued and challenged to follow it.

The FCBD issue will bring on a new series taking up the continuity where he left off!
Old May 5 2010, 07:47 AM   #5
captcalhoun
Admiral

i got GI Joe 155 1/2 from eBay (being in the UK)
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I got Iron Man/Thor, Iron Man/Nova. War of the Supermen, GI Joe, Simpsons and The Tick.
Old May 5 2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

My store gives you one free the rest for 50 cents each. I think that's reasonable since the comic store has to PAY for these things and they're losing a lot of money on this day in the hopes of getting new customers. If they gave everybody twenty free comics that'd be ridiculous. I got War of the Supermen, Iron Man / Thor, Iron Man / Nova, and Irredeemable.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I grabbed THE GREEN HORNET . . . .
Old May 5 2010, 04:56 PM   #9
wew
Rear Admiral

Our store's limit was one of each book out their. I picked up 10 different books, including War Machine click, War of Superman 0, Toy Story, Two marvels with Iron Man, the DC children's issue Tiny Titan, etc.
wew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 05:50 PM   #10
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

My nephew recently expressed an interest in comic books for some reason so I used the opportunity to get him Shrek/Penguins of Madagascar, Toy Story and Sonic (and a non-FCBD Scooby Doo). I got Tick, Atomic Robo and Fearless Dawn. I guess my store was pretty generous (and this is the first year they had a limit).
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 08:38 PM   #11
The Boy Who Cried Worf
Rear Admiral

I got a reminder just now that yesterday was free comic book day. Damn I never remember that! What was the Iron/Man Thor crossover? Is it in current Thor continuity or a tie in to the movies?
Old May 5 2010, 09:42 PM   #12
Mr Light
Admiral

The Iron Man / Thor book (art by John Romita Jr and story by Matt Fraction) was unfortunately utterly forgettable and completely stand-alone. It was about someone using Tony's technology to build a base on the moon and it was affecting the Earth's weather. No real bad guys.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2010, 12:45 AM   #13
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

I also got a coupon for a free issue of War of the Supermen #1! I'm getting that really soon. As in about 20 minutes.
Old May 6 2010, 02:28 AM   #14
Servo
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i got GI Joe 155 1/2 from eBay (being in the UK)
FCBD happens in the UK too. Go to a Forbidden Planet or Travelling Man store, and you can pick up the free comics there. They usually do try and limit the number of comics you walk out with, though.
Old May 6 2010, 02:29 AM   #15
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The Iron Man / Thor book (art by John Romita Jr and story by Matt Fraction) was unfortunately utterly forgettable and completely stand-alone. It was about someone using Tony's technology to build a base on the moon and it was affecting the Earth's weather. No real bad guys.
Agreed. Fraction should have given the moon people some teeth-- automated defenses, killer robots or something. As it is, there was no real drama in the story. They just go up to the moon and blow up some tech and the story is over.

And I think that the way the characters are handled (and depending on how the Thor and Avengers movies unfold) the continuity of this tale might be just be able to fit in both the comics and movie continuities.