Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 20 2010, 12:37 AM   #1
Mutara Nebula 1967
Captain

IRON MAN 2 makes me wonder-Will we ever see a SUPERHERO movie where-

the SUPERHERO appears IN COSTUME for the majority of the movie?

The same thing plaqued SPIDERMAN...Peter Parker had 99% of the screen time and when SPIDEY was one he was standing around WITHOUT the mask of for NO APPARENT reason or it would immediatly be ripped off or torn so we could see Toby McQuire.

In IRON MAN 2 I was wondering when IRON MAN would actually show up. When the DVD comes about I bet if someone counted the actual amount of time IM was on screen and WITH the mask closed...it would be abysmall.

How refreshing it would be to see a SUPERHERO movie where a mininmal amount of time was focused on the hero out of costume.

C'Mon..somewhere out there some producer has to buck the trend!

"Looks like the good folks of Island Town are roundin' up a possy and I bet Jack leads the charge in a big white hat."
Mutara Nebula 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 12:38 AM   #2
Dream
Admiral

Re: IRON MAN 2 makes me wonder-Will we ever see a SUPERHERO movie wher

You want mindless superhero action for most of the movie? Watch Transformers 2.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Skywalker
Admiral

Tony Stark is more interesting than Iron Man.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 12:40 AM   #4
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Mutara Nebula 1967 wrote: View Post
In IRON MAN 2 I was wondering when IRON MAN would actually show up.
Well, after seein' the movie last night, I'd say he showed up about, what? Ten minutes into the movie?

One reason why Stark didn't wear the suit so much in the sequel is because it was acceleratin' his medical condition. He COULDN'T wear the suit without dyin' faster!

Though it was funny that he was wearin' it (mask up, so what?) durin' his birthday party.
Old May 20 2010, 12:42 AM   #5
Rii
Rear Admiral

Most superhero costumes are retarded. Then again, so are most films about superheroes, to say nothing of the original source material. Nolan's films, for instance, succeed despite the fact that they're about a guy who likes to dress up as a bat. YMMV.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Hugo Weaving did some brilliant acting with voice and body language in V for Vendetta, but I don't think that caught on with the general public.

What about a movie like X2: X-Men United, where the heroes and villains had both civilian and team costumes but could use their powers at any time?

Spider-Man has his secret identity as a major part of the mythos, so he gets some slack. Iron Man could be in costume more with a different script, but the people in charge understandably want to make use of RDJ's talents to their fullest, and it makes sense for the character to spend time out of the suit, too.

I'm not sure what would be gained by having the hero(es) in costume most of the time. You would get more action scenes, but would the audience necessarily care about them if they didn't have a strong bond with the person or people in the suits already? You'd also lose the anticipation of seeing them in full regalia at the critical scenes, so they wouldn't seem as special.

I can't think of a superhero comic where most of the time is spent in costume, either. They tend to divide their time pretty evenly between personal matters and saving the world/city.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 01:00 AM   #7
Dream
Admiral

Seeing Spider-man beat up a bad guy for 5 minutes is very exciting, but seeing that for 90 minutes nonstop would get boring quick. That would also be too expensive for studios to do.
Old May 20 2010, 01:01 AM   #8
sojourner
Admiral

The only conciete that bothers me (and was avoided in IM2) in superhero movies is the "masks off" finally. I can see why the directors do it. They want the audience to see the actor and probably think it helps the audience connect with the moment. But at this point it's just old. I mean all 3 Spider-man movies!?! really? Peter Parker needs to find a tougher material. The original Ironman, Tony looses his helmet? good grief.
Old May 20 2010, 01:02 AM   #9
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Heroes like Spider-Man or Iron Man, whose faces (and eyes) are completely covered by masks, are problematic onscreen because you can't see the actors act. They end up looking like action figures, which cuts down on the emotion and drama of the scene.

This isn't a problem with characters like Superman, Captain Marvel, the Hulk, or the Fantastic Four, whose faces are uncovered. And less so with characters like Batman or Zorro, whose faces are only partially covered.

So, hopefully, we'll get lots of costumed action in THOR, GREEN LANTERN, CAPTAIN AMERICA, and THE GREEN HORNET, since all of them have plenty of face exposed . . . .

(Origin stories also tend to cut down on costume time, since it takes a while for the hero to assume his new identity, but that's another issue.)
Old May 20 2010, 01:56 AM   #10
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Convince the studios to finally do superheroes in feature animation like they SHOULD be done and you'll get more "spandex time".
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 02:01 AM   #11
Dream
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Heroes like Spider-Man or Iron Man, whose faces (and eyes) are completely covered by masks, are problematic onscreen because you can't see the actors act. They end up looking like action figures, which cuts down on the emotion and drama of the scene.
I think the Iron Man movies did a nice job of getting around this. His suits have a face plate that slide off very quickly and they have the cool POV shots that show Tony's face while it is still inside his helmet.
Old May 20 2010, 02:05 AM   #12
Rek
Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rek

Best scene of that movie: Tony Stark drunk out of his mind well dancing in his iron man suit.

Old May 20 2010, 02:09 AM   #13
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

sojourner wrote: View Post
... The original Ironman, Tony looses his helmet? good grief.
He didn't lose his helmet - it was ripped off from his suit when the Iron Monger threw him across the roof of Stark Industries, and then crushed & tossed aside after Obadiah revealed himself in the suit.
Old May 20 2010, 02:49 AM   #14
sojourner
Admiral

^Yea, even worse. As close fitting as the helmet was, his face should have come off with it.
Old May 20 2010, 02:57 AM   #15
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

If the Deadpool movie happens, I'm pretty sure he'll be in his costume for most of the movie. Deadpool rarely ever takes his mask off due to his disfigurement.