New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade Iron Man 2
Excellent 60 36.36%
Above Average 67 40.61%
Average 29 17.58%
Below Average 6 3.64%
Terrible 3 1.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29 2010, 03:31 AM   #406
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Iron Man 2: Grading, Review, Discussion **SPOILERS**

^ I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. I was incredibly excited to see the movie and after I did was extremely disappointed due to the flaws and poor execution the film had. It really did have a "Spider-Man 3" vibe to it where there was too much going on that bogged down the main plot of the film.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2010, 03:44 AM   #407
Gaith
Rear Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
As others have said, the Ivan Vanko story arc really doesn't go anywhere in the film since the Vanko character really does nothing throughout the majority of the sequel. So that dread was kind of just filler and useless anyway.
Arming Rockwell, turning him from a global laughingstock into a credible threat, and setting the entire finale in motion, thus directly precipitating Tony and Pepper's relationship, is "not going anywhere"?

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I was incredibly excited to see the movie and after I did was extremely disappointed due to the flaws and poor execution the film had. It really did have a "Spider-Man 3" vibe to it where there was too much going on that bogged down the main plot of the film.
Good grief. I can understand why many don't like it as much as I do - I think it's at least as good as the first, a bit less even but more ambitious - but to compare it to S-M3 is going way over the top, imho.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2010, 04:37 AM   #408
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'm not the only one who has done that...and I don't think it's that far a stretch. If you thought it was great fine, all the more power to you, I thought it had tons of flaws which have already been discussed many times throughout this thread.

Old September 29 2010, 05:42 AM   #409
Buck Rogers
Captain

Its out on DVD I have a copy and it still rocks .but three scenes in the prior to Ivan's appearance at the race track where he witnessed his father's death I missed watching at the Bengies drive in theater,and did they cut the scene where Pepper kissed the helmet.
BTW I paid $17.99 at Target for my DVD copy.
Signed
Buck Rogers
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2010, 09:20 PM   #410
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Already saw Wakanda and Atlantis on Fury's situation board.
If Atlantis is in the north Atlantic, that dot would be too far south. It may be Namor's solitary place.

Trekker4747 wrote:
the pretty much pointless Avengers set-up
Not exactly; Tony's gradual character development over the course of the IM films has an endpoint represented by his functioning as part of a group, and IM3 may reflect events in the Avengers film.
Old October 2 2010, 12:55 AM   #411
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Gaith wrote: View Post
As others have said, the Ivan Vanko story arc really doesn't go anywhere in the film since the Vanko character really does nothing throughout the majority of the sequel. So that dread was kind of just filler and useless anyway.
Arming Rockwell, turning him from a global laughingstock into a credible threat, and setting the entire finale in motion, thus directly precipitating Tony and Pepper's relationship, is "not going anywhere"?
He doesn't turn Justin Hammer into a credible threat. While he ostensibly builds the weaponry in Hammer's facility, Hammer is never in control. Vanko immediately & effortlessly seizes control when it suits his purposes.

And while he did set the finale of the film in motion, I don't think it was a particularly impressive finale. I never felt any sense of jeopardy against Vanko the way I did against Stane in the 1st film.
Old October 2 2010, 02:46 AM   #412
Gaith
Rear Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
He doesn't turn Justin Hammer into a credible threat. While he ostensibly builds the weaponry in Hammer's facility, Hammer is never in control. Vanko immediately & effortlessly seizes control when it suits his purposes.
Okay, then we could say that Hammer's resources turn Vanko into a credible threat if you'd prefer to formulate it that way.

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
And while he did set the finale of the film in motion, I don't think it was a particularly impressive finale.
So he goes from being a bum in a Russian basement to nearly defeating both Iron Man and Rhodey in the middle of Stark Expo. Say what you will about the film's quality, I'd hardly call that a story arc that "really doesn't go anyway in the film."
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 02:59 AM   #413
Buck Rogers
Captain

No way Vanko was a scientist/engineer just like his father as well as a hacker that why he broke into Hammer's database like a piece of cake,while Hammer was standing there like a fish taking a breath.
As to linking the drones to his armor was also a feat of genus of which Tony will implement in new armor models.
Remember the movie-verse is our reality combined with tales of global threats that our heroes have to solve or defeat.
I love the suitcase armor it harks back to the 90's animated series I own a action figure of the Tony Stark with the case and parts of the armor.
That's my take.
Signed
Buck Rogers
Old October 2 2010, 03:31 AM   #414
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I thought the suitcase armor was from the early comics, back when he had a big chestplate as his life-support (instead of the arc reactor) and it had to be plugged in every day.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 03:43 AM   #415
Buck Rogers
Captain

Anwar,
In the comics the suitcase contained the portable parts of the armor re:the helmet,gloves,boots in both the series and the comic,but the suitcase transforms into the armor just like the film.
Signed
Buck Rogers
Old October 2 2010, 04:25 AM   #416
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think you could argue that Tony was his own worst enemy in this movie and that one of the points the film was getting across. His ego, arrogance and own self reliance were preventing him from being the hero he could be (Much like Clark in Smallville right now).

Old October 3 2010, 12:41 AM   #417
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Buck Rogers wrote: View Post
and did they cut the scene where Pepper kissed the helmet.
Yes, and RDJ's line "Getting there" after "Dirty enough for you?" was also cut
( meaning that it appeared in the trailer but not in the film ), as was the scene where "Natalie" uses one of the repulsor gauntlets.

Last edited by Set Harth; October 3 2010 at 01:02 AM.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2010, 04:42 AM   #418
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Just an average film to me with way to many plot holes and problems. A poorly constructed villian is always a problem in a movie about a super hero and Vanko/Hammer were cardboard villians. The whole Tony dying arc was useless as was its really silly create a new element resolution. The Black Widow parts worked for me and all the fight scenes were pretty well done. I think a reedit of this movie could have made it much stronger. Just moving the slow opening scene would have helped.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2010, 05:18 AM   #419
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Well said. I think a rewrite could have done wonders for this film quite frankly. I don't think the Marvel Universe elements hurt this film...the film's own plot hurt this film.

Old October 5 2010, 08:19 PM   #420
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

About the only problem I still have with this film is a sense that the final battle doesn't seem to reflect the best tactics on the part of its participants. It has also been suggested that the whips should have done more damage, while the same can be said for the car which slams into Vanko ( he's not Weapon X as far as I know ).