Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade Iron Man 2
Excellent 60 36.36%
Above Average 67 40.61%
Average 29 17.58%
Below Average 6 3.64%
Terrible 3 1.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22 2010, 01:41 AM   #331
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Re: Iron Man 2: Grading, Review, Discussion **SPOILERS**

Anwar wrote: View Post
The Police said they cut the power to the Crane. We just didn't see it happen.
Crane didn't seem to want to obey the laws of momentum, physics and friction either. I mean, how much intertia and mass would that thing have to have to swing through that building several times?!

God Spidey3 sucked. It wasn't "Superman 4" bad, but it came damn close. Oh, and I loved the "Exposition News Channel" at the end. A clear sign Rami had given up, "Well, I've got a lot of plot points that have happened off screen, and they all need to come to a head here at this construction sight, but how do I establish everything that I had happen off screen? ... I got it!"

Ugh, I may take it back. Spider-man 3 was as bad as... well, I'll go with Superman 3.
Old May 22 2010, 01:42 AM   #332
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I LIKED Superman 3, especially the "Clark vs Superman" junkyard fight...
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 02:05 AM   #333
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

I LIKED Superman 3, especially the "Clark vs Superman" junkyard fight...
Yeah, it's got some merits. But the nonsense with Richard Pryor, the slapstick opening and handful of other goofy Lester-ian "comedy" bullshit stuck in sort of taints any good in the movie. But, Spider-man 3 wasn't as terrible as Superman 4 so I bumped it up a notch.
Old May 22 2010, 02:08 AM   #334
stj
Rear Admiral

I thought of Superman 3 as a nifty little comedy with Richard Pryor spliced into a nicely done red kryptonite Superman story. Pryor and Reeve didn't even meet until what, the last ten minutes of the movie?
The shift from one to the other is kind of jarring, I must admit, but I managed.
Old May 22 2010, 02:18 AM   #335
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Actually, they met earlier when Pryor gave Superman the kryptonite (when he was dressed as an Army General).

I know that the stuff was red kryptonite, and it SHOULD have been red. It would've explained why Supes wasn't freaking out that some army dude just handed him a chunk of the stuff.
Old May 22 2010, 08:51 AM   #336
Agenda
Fleet Captain

EVERYTHING about the Spidey-movies is a contrivance, though:

1) Of all people Peter is best friends with, it's the son of the guy who becomes his first supervillain?

2) Of all the nuclear scientists out there, the one Peter gets close to just HAPPENS to become the second supervillain he fights?

3) Of all the people in NYC, MJ gets engaged to the son of Peter's boss?

4) Eddie Brock just HAPPENED to be at the Church to become Venom?

5) Gwen Stacy just HAPPENED to be Peter's friend AND be in that building when the crane lost control to be saved by Spidey AND be the Police Captain's daughter?
You're missing the craziest part about the alien creature just happening to land right by Peter and then attaching to his motorcycle. That was unforgivably lazy storytelling.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 09:38 AM   #337
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

They should've taken the animated series route and have the symbiote arrive via space shuttle. Piloted bu John Jameson.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 09:38 AM   #338
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Also, Superman III isn't that bad. At least we get a half decent Lana Lang.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 08:33 PM   #339
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
They should've taken the animated series route and have the symbiote arrive via space shuttle. Piloted bu John Jameson.
I can understand why they didn't: By the time Arad forced them to include Venom they had already spent most of the money and stuff, and it would've taken like 30 minutes to do the shuttle crash story. Plus, they probably felt that including John would mean they'd have to cover the MJ/John thing from the second movie and they didn't want to bring that back.
Old May 22 2010, 10:43 PM   #340
stj
Rear Admiral

Going back to Iron Man II, on reflection I'm surprised there wasn't far more discussion of the suit pissing, even to the point of denying it actually happened, but was mere a "joke." Certainly, it brought the alcoholism to the fore very forcefully, despite claims to the contrary.
Old May 23 2010, 02:51 AM   #341
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Well, the suit did have plumbing, so it wasn't the first time he peed in it. Though, as we saw... Well, does anyone remember David Sedaris's article about the "Stadium Pal"?

David Sedaris, With a Pal Like This, You Don't Need an Enemy

On top of that, I found that it was hard to pee and do other things at the same time. Reading out loud, discussing my dinner options with the flight attendant, checking into a fine hotel: Each activity required its own separate form of concentration, and while no one knew exactly what I was up to, it was pretty clear that something was going on. I think it was my face that gave me away.
You know, he was probably in that suit for at least twelve hours when he went to Unspecifiedistan in the first movie. Next time I watch that, I'm going to be wondering throughout the sequence if, at any point, he's availing himself of the facilities.
Old May 23 2010, 02:51 PM   #342
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well I would have called it a serious design flaw if he didn't rig up a "Waste extraction" system into the suit, considering that he has to be literally unbolted out of the suit. And I doubt the cod piece pops open so "little Tony" can pop out and make wee wee without splashing onto the armor.

He's probably got something like the astronauts have set up down there. Of course slightly more advanced, maybe there's a sort of moving thing in the crotchpiece that opens his fly flap so he can relieve himself. Although I really don't want to think about solid waste .... eeeeeewwww.

And keep in mind, even in the comics, Iron Man sometimes spends days in the suit. So if there's no "facilities" for going to the can inside the can...

I think they could have done without it, but it did get one of the bigger laughs at the showing I went to. And it helped prod Rhodey into acting. As if a billionaire falling drunk in a suit of armor that cost as much as a fighter jet and blasting stuff wasn't enough...
Old May 23 2010, 07:29 PM   #343
Agenda
Fleet Captain

If Fremen can recycle their waste, I think Iron Man can too.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 08:57 PM   #344
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Iron Bladder Man has no need of such facilities.
Old May 29 2010, 08:27 AM   #345
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Finally got around to seeing it. Short version... fun movie, not quite as good as part 1 but still fairly worthy. Also, 1st half of the movie was better than the 2nd half. Great setup.

I'm kind of disappointed they didn't elaborate on what SHIELD was exactly and who Nick Fury was. I knew because I'm a comics nerd. The two people I was with had no clue, and I had to whisper explain who the Avengers are and who Fury was, during the movie. That was really distracting.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote