USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: Grade Iron Man 2
Excellent 60 36.36%
Above Average 67 40.61%
Average 29 17.58%
Below Average 6 3.64%
Terrible 3 1.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10 2010, 02:03 AM   #211
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Re: Iron Man 2 - Grading & Discussion Thread (spoilers guaranteed)

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
My Grade: F

I LOVE the first Iron Man movie and had an absolute high thoughts and expectations about this movie. I also thought Favreau and Downey Jr. couldn't go wrong. Addition of Don Cheadle and Sam Rockwell was a plus.

But unfortunately the story is nothing to be happy about. It falls flat on its face quite a few times. This is an IRON MAN movie yet we see Iron Man being Iron Man.. what.. two times mostly? Mickey Rourke was an absolute WASTE of a villain and didn't have any gravitas or draw like Jeff Bridges, or more aptly, Faran Tahir.

Glaring stupidity of the movie is also something that couldn't pass my notice. So you are telling me that Tony Stark, the most brilliant scientist/engineer/developer of our time that made his highly modern and functional weapons platform in his fucking basement didn't have any safeguards from his suits being taken away?

Yeah yeah, I noticed Rhodey had access to his garage / basement but how the hell did he have access to put the suit on? Why did Jarvis even let him? Hell without Jarvis' assistant the suit won't even fly!! WTF? Rhodey flies off with it willy nilly and there is no remote shutdown system implemented??

And how did Rhodey even put the suit on?? Okay fine so he is of the same height and somewhat weight of Tony, but... what about the ARC REACTOR? You know, the reactor that Tony has HALFWAY BURIED in his chest cavity?? So Tony has spare arc reactors already attached to his suits from the get go, the arc reactor that literally needs to be halfway buried in your chest to even be 'fitted' with the IM suits' internal designs? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??

These are some of the things about the movie that annoyed me, but mostly that for an 'action' movie it had very, very little action. And whatever action it had, they were fucking pointless.

/End rant + review.
I'm sorry but it seems like you gave this movie an F based on nitpicks more than real criticism.
I mean, if a movie is dull and lifeless with bad acting and poor dialog, I'd understand. But talking about safeguards on the suit and that Rhodes didn't have an arc reactor in his chest and so on are minor.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 02:16 AM   #212
Checkmate
Commodore

WAR MACHINE was a suit that Tony apparently built specifically for Rhodey. Including giving it its own arc reactor (you know, just like Obidiah did in the first movie and Venko did in this one). When Tony said that he and his Iron Man suit were one in the same, he wasn't joking. The IRON MAN suit is linked to his arc reactor. In no way did he say (though he did imply) that he couldn't make the IRON MAN suit self-powered. He simply said that, as it stood then and there, they were one in the same. Someone couldn't just put it on and use it Which is very much accurate, so he didn't even lie to them. He just didn't tell the full truth. War Machine != Iron Man.

This is also why Rhodey had no problem suiting up or even accessing the vault/workshop where Tony kept the suits. Because he already had permission to get down there and suit up with the War Machine.

It would have been nice if they mentioned that Tony repurposed the War Machine suit (which looked to be a refurbishing of his Mark II suit) specifically for Rhodey, sure. But it wasn't really necessary for anyone who knows the basics of the story and their relationship from the comics.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 02:35 AM   #213
Angela 0077
Captain

I went to see Ironman yesterday and l was amazed how slow the film was at the beginnig and it took a while to warm up.

I was expecting more of a storyline to this movie.

There was not enough action to keep a person entertained and l would have liked more things happening in the movie.

Which was lacking from what l saw of it.

The movie was very below average

Angela 0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 02:38 AM   #214
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Dream wrote: View Post
My Grade: F

Glaring stupidity of the movie is also something that couldn't pass my notice. So you are telling me that Tony Stark, the most brilliant scientist/engineer/developer of our time that made his highly modern and functional weapons platform in his fucking basement didn't have any safeguards from his suits being taken away?
You really thought this movie was as bad as Batman and Robin?

In the first movie, Tony built an arc reactor and the Mark I suit out of missile parts in a cave. I thought that was harder to be believe than the Mark II being stolen by Rhodey, who would probably have access codes since he was Tony's friend.
Saying this movie is an "F" is pure hyperbole. It's no-where near being one of the most terrible movies made. Is it the greatest? No. Is it mediocre? At worst I'd say "Yes." Is it F-Worthy like Batman and Robin or pretty much any movie ever featured on MST3K? No way.
Old May 10 2010, 04:16 AM   #215
CaptainCanada
Admiral

When Fury and Black Widow are talking with Stark, she explicitly says that the suits do have safeguards, and asks why Tony hasn't activated them; the implication being that he was okay with letting Rhodes take the suit.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 04:45 AM   #216
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Saw it, like it a lot. Probably my favorite superhero movie so far. Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell were fun to watch and I'm looking forward to seeing Rockwell back sometime for vengeance bwahaha! I guess he didn't notice that vengeance wasn't a good strategy for Rourke, but since when does that ever stop a supervillain?

I liked the fight scenes the least of anything in the movie, which is a testament to the story having actual characters and ideas who can hold the audience's attention while just talking about stuff, not to mention decent dialogue and humor.

Don Cheadle was an acceptable as Rhodey but I really wish they'd gotten Terrence Howard back. Scarlett Johansson did okay as the Black Widow (they never did say that name did they)? I can't buy Gwyneth Paltrow as the CEO of anything and never thought she had much chemistry with Robert Downey, Jr. He'd do better in romantic scenes with Johansson. Loved that Roger Sterling is Tony's dad.

Favorite scene: Tony's out of control behavior at his party. I found that much scarier than any of the fight scenes, even the Monaco race car pile-up. None of the party bimbos had any frakkin' clue how close they were coming to getting their heads blown off. And speaking of that - is Tony currently an alcoholic? They haven't made much about it. I guess the whole thing about him dying served the same purpose in the story. He can start being a drunk in the next movie.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 04:58 AM   #217
Snaploud
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Loved that Roger Sterling is Tony's dad.
Yeah, my girlfriend and I got a kick out of that one. We love Mad Men. I also liked that Tony said he would consider joining the military hierarchy as Secretary of Defense (something he actually did in the comics at one point).

Favorite scene: Tony's out of control behavior at his party. I found that much scarier than any of the fight scenes, even the Monaco race car pile-up. None of the party bimbos had any frakkin' clue how close they were coming to getting their heads blown off.
The glass should have at least cut the women in that scene.

And speaking of that - is Tony currently an alcoholic? They haven't made much about it. I guess the whole thing about him dying served the same purpose in the story. He can start being a drunk in the next movie.
At first, I thought the blood toxicity measurements were checking his blood alcohol level. He did seem drunk throughout most of the movie, but that could just be because Robert Downey Jr. has trouble staying sober.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 05:03 AM   #218
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Snaploud wrote: View Post
The glass should have at least cut the women in that scene.
It's called safety glass, any pane of glass of any significant size is going to be made of it and certainly the glass in all-glass domed buildings will be made of it. And sure, safety glass can still "cut" you but it's not nearly as dangerous as standard glass is.

Saw it, like it a lot. Probably my favorite superhero movie so far. Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell were fun to watch and I'm looking forward to seeing Rockwell back sometime for vengeance bwahaha! I guess he didn't notice that vengeance wasn't a good strategy for Rourke, but since when does that ever stop a supervillain?
Shield is going to punish Hammer by making him man a moon-base alone to mine for Hydrogen.
Old May 10 2010, 05:10 AM   #219
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I'm still hoping for a real Armor Wars storyline - with maybe Hammer trying to take over Stark Industries like Stane did in the original Armor Wars storyline.
Old May 10 2010, 05:16 AM   #220
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, my girlfriend and I got a kick out of that one. We love Mad Men.
We need to start a fan campaign to draft Christina Hendricks as Tony's mom.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 06:02 AM   #221
Snaploud
Admiral

Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 02:28 PM   #222
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Would explain his love of redheads in a Freudian way.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 07:36 PM   #223
lyb42
Cadet

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
I'd love to hear what the 7 plots were.
Holy crap, a lot's been said since I logged on last! I'm swimming in a sea of Stark. The "Seven Plots" review was on MSN.com:
http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-c...ws/iron-man-2/

As to the comment made WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back on page nine or ten of the thread about front license plates: Utah law requires a license plate at both ends of the car and I have, in fact, been pulled over and ticketed for that very offense. In defense of the state of Utah, it was in Provo, where I swear the patrolmen have quotas to meet. As an off-hand guesstimate, I would say roughly one third of the vehicles on the road locally do not have a front plate. Where I'm going with this is: Although dmvanswers.com lists New Mexico as a one-plate state, they also list 31 states that do require two. One could reasonably suppose that, as a government agency, S.H.I.E.L.D. would just double-plate all of its cars as SOP. Plus there's the point that was made earlier about how goofy the shot of a car backing up to the camera would look.
lyb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 07:42 PM   #224
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Saw it last night, and loved every minute of it. Don't have many criticisms and I'd say it's a very solid sequel; better than average.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 08:23 PM   #225
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

lyb42 wrote: View Post
Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
I'd love to hear what the 7 plots were.
Holy crap, a lot's been said since I logged on last! I'm swimming in a sea of Stark. The "Seven Plots" review was on MSN.com:
http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-critic-reviews/iron-man-2/
What a joke.
It turns out that the artificial heart/generator that keeps Tony Stark alive and powers his Iron Man suit is killing him (plot No. 1), but Tony forges ahead with the Stark Expo, a high-tech fair that's part of his complex relationship with his late dad (plot No. 2). Russian scientist/criminal Ivan Vanko (Rourke, less directed than unleashed, and not always in a good way) is building his own high-tech suit and searching for a way to punish Stark for past crimes (plot No. 3) even as the U.S. government and arms dealer Justin Hammer ([COLOR=#07519a]Sam Rockwell[/COLOR], playing Sam Rockwell) want to get their hands on the high-tech Iron Man armor (plot No. 4). A suit is even stolen by Stark's old friend Col. Jim Rhodes (Cheadle; plot No. 5), but with the help of new friends in the world of global espionage who want to assemble a team of talents like Tony (plot No. 6), Stark may be able to win the day, keep his heart beating and win the heart of his friend and co-worker Pepper Potts (Paltrow; plot No. 7).
These are called character arcs, not plots.
He is calling every character and their action within the movie its own plot. By that reasoning a movie with more than one charater has more than one plot.
Forget ensemble pieces anymore cause this critic is going to see any and all movies as having too many plots.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote