RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,692
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 485
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade Iron Man 2
Excellent 60 36.36%
Above Average 67 40.61%
Average 29 17.58%
Below Average 6 3.64%
Terrible 3 1.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9 2010, 06:45 PM   #196
clint g
Admiral

Re: Iron Man 2 - Grading & Discussion Thread (spoilers guaranteed)

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Questions I had.. an my memry isn't great but...

Isn't Hammer Industries in NYC? And isn't the Expo in, like, friggin New Mexico..? So Jon Farveau and Scarlett drove to NYC with a warp drive on the bottom of the car? Oh also, the car had a spare "battle" outfit for Scarlett to slip into?

The npoint above about the arc reactor in the war machine suit is valid.
The Expo took place in NYC

Also, Tony was told that he could not leave the premises of SHIELD. Yet the next scdene he is buying strawberries and giving them to Pepper.

It was the, erm, 'item' that was in New Mexico
the what?
There was a scene at the end of the credits where they show you New Mexico and what was found there.

Also, fun fact, Jon Farveau is from Flushing, which probably explains why it played such a big role in the movie and why it looked cooler in the movie than it does in real life
Old May 9 2010, 06:46 PM   #197
Hermiod
Admiral

Also, Tony was told that he could not leave the premises of SHIELD. Yet the next scdene he is buying strawberries and giving them to Pepper.
He sneaked out. I thought that was made clear when Natasha arrived at Pepper's office to make sure he came back.

the what?
You know, the item that Agent Coulson had to go to New Mexico to pick up.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2010, 06:50 PM   #198
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

ah ok. thanks. It just seemed odd, because, though there was a guard there, I don't remember it taking any effor mfor him to sneak out.
Old May 9 2010, 06:55 PM   #199
Hermiod
Admiral

ah ok. thanks. It just seemed odd, because, though there was a guard there, I don't remember it taking any effor mfor him to sneak out.
Despite the impression they like to give, S.H.I.E.L.D. agents are not all that special.

They left Stark to his own devices inside his own home working in a workshop which, at least in the first movie, connected to his garage full of sports cars with only one guard.
Old May 9 2010, 08:46 PM   #200
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
the what?
I sincerely doubt Colson was able to "pick" it up.. maybe some guy with a cane could if he by chance walks by
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2010, 08:57 PM   #201
Hermiod
Admiral

^

You never know, it might consider him worthy.
Old May 9 2010, 09:18 PM   #202
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Hermiod wrote: View Post
the what?
I sincerely doubt Colson was able to "pick" it up.. maybe some guy with a cane could if he by chance walks by
Is House that awesome?
Old May 9 2010, 09:32 PM   #203
Dream
Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
My Grade: F

Glaring stupidity of the movie is also something that couldn't pass my notice. So you are telling me that Tony Stark, the most brilliant scientist/engineer/developer of our time that made his highly modern and functional weapons platform in his fucking basement didn't have any safeguards from his suits being taken away?
You really thought this movie was as bad as Batman and Robin?

In the first movie, Tony built an arc reactor and the Mark I suit out of missile parts in a cave. I thought that was harder to be believe than the Mark II being stolen by Rhodey, who would probably have access codes since he was Tony's friend.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2010, 09:52 PM   #204
Blue_Trek
Captain

I liked it, but I really hate it when they cut out some trailer parts, I want to see these in full context.

There is also a slight message that the government can take anything they want from you, but you can stand up to them.
Old May 9 2010, 10:53 PM   #205
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Saw it last night, finally

My grade: solid B

Thought the opening montage scene that explained the Vanko's set up motivation. I wondered then how Ivan could build it but they did follow up later with the knowledge he to was a scientist.

The Stark Expo opener was good and that too was as much reinto to Tony as it was intro to Howard. As well as the blood toxicity issue.

Kate Mara was wasted in a bit cameo role as the US Marshall who subpoenas Tony. Have to wonder if she is part of something a step up from normal US Marshall cause her badge was a step up in design from just the normal star.

The Senate hearing was great. Too often the CEO's get up there and just take it when the Senators are to their eyes in filth and responsbility in actuality.

I understand why the scenes of drunk Iron Man at his own party were there but thought it broke the rest of the flow of the movie. It served a few purposes:
1-Rhodey got the Mach II
2-Tony falling into the bottle(aka Demon in a Bottle) of booze
3-Discovery of how they beat Ivan so quickly.
So that was a crucial segement just broke the flow of the movie, imo.
As for how Rhodey got or how Jarvis let him put it on especially are nitpicks. Jarvis has been shown to be protective, he may very well approved of Rhodey intervening.

Upon first blush I thought it contrived that the answer to Tony's blood toxicity lay in his fathers old research. Really though it wasn't that Howard knew Tony would need it to save his life just that it would be a good weapon, one he couldn't realize in his time. Tony just was able to use it not only as a weapon but solve the paladium poisoning.

Black Widow/Scarlett-loved it. I was indifferent until there in the third act when she finally became 'super'. I officially decree we need a Black Widow movie to further explore her origins

The complaints that the final fight was too short fall hollow but I understand it I suppose. Really though, its one guy fighting 2, that is TWO Iron Men. No foe of similar caliber should be in a prolonged fight with TWO Iron Men. Its why it was over too fast.

LOVED the post credits sequence when they found 'it'. Would love to know how much time had passed from the moment of Nick&Tony meeting till that scene.
Speaking of that moment they were in a command-esque room that had a few monitors. I swear on one of those monitors for about 2-3sec was the clip from Incredible Hulk during the University fight sequence.

Back to 'it', also mentioned by Coulson was the fact they were monitoring a situation in the southwest. Is it possible that Hulk, IM:2 and Thor are all taking place in a very tight time frame?

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
My Grade: F
Is IM:2 perfect, no but an exaggeratted grade like this will not get anyone listening to you seriously.
F grades are for true horrors not a few flaws. You've just ranked it with Batman&Robin, Superman IV:Quest for Peace and Howard the Duck.
Your grade is hyperbole.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2010, 11:11 PM   #206
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
LOVED the post credits sequence when they found 'it'. Would love to know how much time had passed from the moment of Nick&Tony meeting till that scene.
Speaking of that moment they were in a command-esque room that had a few monitors. I swear on one of those monitors for about 2-3sec was the clip from Incredible Hulk during the University fight sequence.

Back to 'it', also mentioned by Coulson was the fact they were monitoring a situation in the southwest. Is it possible that Hulk, IM:2 and Thor are all taking place in a very tight time frame?
The scenes from The Incredible Hulk are mentioned in this list of IM2 easter eggs...

http://chud.com/articles/articles/23...N-2/Page1.html

And here is another list of Easter eggs that I'm surprised nobody caught...(Number 6 is the best. )

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/0...2-easter-eggs/
Old May 9 2010, 11:33 PM   #207
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Thanks for the CHUD link, I wished they had focused on the guy giving Ivan his Monaco tickets. Showed him rubbing his ring, maybe they did and I missed it. Just another reason to see it again!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 12:01 AM   #208
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I think the few actual lines of dialogue Mickey Rourke had were almost all in the trailer.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 12:54 AM   #209
Buck Rogers
Captain

Well I saw it last night at the Bengies Drive in movie theater in MD along with How to Train your Dragon,and the Bounty Hunter I gave it an excellent those easter eggs with Caps Shield,and at the end Thor's Hammer were the da bomb just let everyone know when the first Ironman movie came out the scene where pepper sees him having his armor removed over to the left of the screen under his right arm there is a shield on the workbench half completed.
Also the scene in this film Coulson is helping Tony use it as a prop fir the micro particle accellerator.

This film was launched a week before in Europe, bacause all Paramount films launch in Europe prior to US release dates .

Thats my take on this film,and looking forward to Thor,and first Avenger:Captain America in a year,and finally the Avengers Movie.

Signed

Buck Rogers
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 01:13 AM   #210
stj
Rear Admiral

The dialogue was natural, fresh, funny. It makes the dialogue in practically every other superhero movie sound pathetic. The staging of the crowd scenes at the expo(both Stark's and Hammer's,) the senate hearing, the Malibu party were quite good. I should be surprised that Salon reviewer didn't notice how witty they were. The broader ramifications of such a thing as an Iron Man were hinted at and gave the first half a lot more interest than is usual. The fight scenes of course were a little boring. Mickey Rourke was impressive in a simple but strong characterization.

But Scarlett Johannson was, aside from her looks, a total waste of film. Admittedly that's a big caveat. But everything about her is stupid. The absurdity of a cover name of Natalie Rushman is exceeded only by the absurdity of a Russian woman named Romanoff instead of Romanova. Happy Hogan ogling her changing into her skintight leather was funny but the outfit is absurd. And despite the light tone, the movie is pretty grounded barring movie physics.