Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade Iron Man 2
Excellent 60 36.36%
Above Average 67 40.61%
Average 29 17.58%
Below Average 6 3.64%
Terrible 3 1.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17 2010, 02:33 AM   #301
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Iron Man 2 - Grading & Discussion Thread (spoilers guaranteed)

I think we needed to see one more confrontation between Stark and Vanko before the climax to give the ending just a little bit more oomph, and the climax itself needed something more as well. There was nothing really at stake -- Vanko just shows up, and wants to kill Stark, but it's such a thin motivation (that we saw in the last movie, and almost every other superhero movie) that it was so blase and boring.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 03:50 AM   #302
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I don't think it was a case of Rourke being bad. It was that the writers gave him nothing. After being soundly defeated, he moves to the background for most of the movie. He doesn't seem to be affecting anything. He barely says anything and gives off almost no sense of menace before he hatches his plan and is easily defeated. Just what the hell were Favarau and company thinking with this one?

Add to it Sam Rockwell's character, who is so silly he isn't even a threat to Pepper Potts and you have the most underwhelming villains in a superhero movie in a long time.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 05:41 AM   #303
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I don't think it was a case of Rourke being bad. It was that the writers gave him nothing. After being soundly defeated, he moves to the background for most of the movie. He doesn't seem to be affecting anything. He barely says anything and gives off almost no sense of menace before he hatches his plan and is easily defeated. Just what the hell were Favarau and company thinking with this one?

Add to it Sam Rockwell's character, who is so silly he isn't even a threat to Pepper Potts and you have the most underwhelming villains in a superhero movie in a long time.
I completely agree. I mean, Vanko proves he's a credible threat in the Monaco sequence, but that's about it. He doesn't really do anything after that besides mull around and work on Hammer's drones and his own retrofitted suit, which apparently wasn't all that great since it didn't last long anyway.

Hammer was a waste of a character. I mean, I liked how he was a sort of wannabe Tony Stark doppelganger, but Hammer barely posed a threat beyond his drones. One of my complaints about the second act of the film is basically you have the two villains standing around and talking about their evil plans, but they don't really do anything. It gets old and tiresome quick.
Old May 17 2010, 07:01 AM   #304
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Well if I might digress...I'm not that familiar with Crimson Dynamo but from my flirtations with Iron Man isn't he considered a B-Level character in the first place compared to say Mandarin? I think the point of Ivan was that someone else was able to duplicate the arc reactor technology and create a suit...not that he was going to be a formidable foe for Tony. I wouldn't be shocked if we learned in the third movie that the Mandarin and Ten Rings has continued to watch Tony and manipulate events from behind the scenes. Perhaps this is fanboy thinking on my part but I never saw Whiplash as a threat to Tony either just a means to an end, a pawn in a larger plan.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 07:05 AM   #305
Hermiod
Admiral

^Crimson Dynamo is one of those villains that started off as a major threat but dropped down the ranks after a while - especially since the name has been used by several enemies over the years.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 07:11 AM   #306
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yeah isn't there like six of them or something like that?

Old May 17 2010, 07:22 AM   #307
Hermiod
Admiral

^Fourteen, if you count the kid who found the suit accidentally.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 08:49 AM   #308
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

I have no problem with Whiplash being a ploy, but I just hope the payoff is really great in the third film (if Mandarin is indeed the villain pulling the strings) because as a consequence it made the second film weaker as a result.
Old May 17 2010, 09:26 AM   #309
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I'll agree with that. I still am of the opinion that this is a set up by the Mandarin and since Favs has stated that he'd like to use him in the third movie and it's a matter of handling him the right way I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old May 17 2010, 02:19 PM   #310
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile
Re: Iron Man 2: Grading, Review, Discussion **SPOILERS**

I thought it was as good as the first but I seem to be in the minority. I really enjoyed seeing Iron Man and Warmachine fight together. Could have done without black widow though.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 02:35 PM   #311
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: Iron Man 2: Grading, Review, Discussion **SPOILERS**

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
LOL!

Mine looks better!
Well, just so we don't lose the lovely pics we'll Scarlett & Co with the other thread.

(you innuendos may vary)
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 02:44 PM   #312
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I think the point of Ivan was that someone else was able to duplicate the arc reactor technology and create a suit...
...that was never going to be as good as Tony's because no-one is as technolgically savvy as he is, so the genuine fear created when Iron Man was taken out by Whiplash at Monaco is all but eliminated and the general public have their faith in Iron Man protecting them restored.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 08:00 PM   #313
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, Mandarin's hand in this was there but it was subtle:

That guy who gave Vanko his passport was supposedly a Ten Rings operative.

Perhaps in return for this, Vanko gave them the knowledge of how to build their own minature arc reactors? We never knew just WHY that guy helped Vanko and what he got out of it. And Vanko's tatoos indicated he was part of the Russian Mafia.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 09:28 PM   #314
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
I saw where John had said that. What would've been big as a nod would be to have that guy speak a line to the effect, "The Ten Rings is happy to assist you in this matter against Stark".

In other IM: 2 news its 10 day US total now stands at $211m with a WW total of $427m in 17 days. Not to shabby at all. For comparison sake IM 1 did $318/585 total.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 09:37 PM   #315
David cgc
Vice Admiral

I'm sure there'll be some kind of flashback montage when the Ten Rings is revealed, if they're doing things that subtly, or at the very least a Villainous Speech. "Oh, Stark, we've been going after you for ages. How did you think an impoverished Russian criminal got to Monaco, or how a gang in the desert made a deal with your right-hand man?"