Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 24 2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Reverend
Rear Admiral

A new B5 series on the horizon?

According to this article on IGN, a new B5 series may indeed be on the cards. I'm assuming this is the "ask me after April" project JMS has been occasionally hinting at over the last eight or so months and even this small bit of news indicates that the project may already be in trouble...but then if it wasn't in trouble, it wouldn't be a "real" B5 series now would it?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: A new B5 series on the horizon?

Interesting. I'm surprised that JMS even brought it up given that he's pretty much said that he would only announce something once his name was on a contract.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Yes, thanks for the update. Personally, I'd rather see a grand space opera TV series based on someone else's fictional universe, such as David Brin's Uplift War or Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space. Judging from what we got in Crusade, LOTR, and Lost Tales, I suspect that JMS's creative well has somewhat somewhat dry -- I'm not entirely convinced by the argument that more money needed to be thrown at such projects.
Old July 24 2011, 01:20 PM   #4
pimp
Commander

OH MY GOD
Old July 24 2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Jan
Commodore

To clarify somewhat: The 'ask me after April' project was to be new B5 episodes for a new distribution system. The new distribution system never happened. But JMS proposed something else and there are negotiations.

The good news about the failed project was that WB had agreed to a $2-3 million budget per episode, a full season commitment and full creative control for JMS.

So we probably shouldn't look for big news soon but there's still interest at WB and the room at Comic-Con, though somewhat smaller than usual, was filled to capacity.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I'm a little worried, that legend of the rangers was pretty terrible. B5 was just perfect, I'd only accept the show if it took place a few years later - around the time of lost tales seems good to me?
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

I think at this point I'd rather have a reboot than post-series stories, particularly with so many of the actors dead now.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
To clarify somewhat: The 'ask me after April' project was to be new B5 episodes for a new distribution system. The new distribution system never happened. But JMS proposed something else and there are negotiations.

The good news about the failed project was that WB had agreed to a $2-3 million budget per episode, a full season commitment and full creative control for JMS.

So we probably shouldn't look for big news soon but there's still interest at WB and the room at Comic-Con, though somewhat smaller than usual, was filled to capacity.

Jan
That's about what I figured. Still, as you say the fact that they were willing to meet his terms in principle is encouraging and as I've said before, I'll always prefer a new TV project to a theatrical film. Plus of course if he didn't think there was a chance for the project to go ahead then he probably wouldn't have said anything at all.

Joe tends to be very wary of raising false hope and is usually the first one to say when and why a project it dead and done.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I think at this point I'd rather have a reboot than post-series stories, particularly with so many of the actors dead now.
I don't know, a reboot would require a complete recast and the idea of another actor (however talented) playing a new version of G'Kar really doesn't appeal to me. Besides, that story has been told already...quite sufficiently as I recall.

Regardless, a new show need not take place in the time span between 'Objects at Rest' and 'Sleeping in Light'. The B5 universe is diverse and I think JMS has stated he has a very clear idea of what takes place over the next thousand years and a more sketchy notion of what take place over the next million. So there's PLENTY of room for a new series with few if any of the original cast of characters if need be.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Judging from what we got in Crusade, LOTR, and Lost Tales, I suspect that JMS's creative well has somewhat somewhat dry -- I'm not entirely convinced by the argument that more money needed to be thrown at such projects.
Crusade certainly had potential. I agree about LOTR and Lost Tales though.

Easy solution: Recruit new writers. There's no law which says that JMS has to write almost 100% of the episodes again (except for his tendency to be a control freak).
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 03:26 PM   #10
JD
Admiral

Do we know for a fact this would be TV? I've assumed for a while now if we got more B5 it would be in comic form.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Jan
Commodore

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
Easy solution: Recruit new writers. There's no law which says that JMS has to write almost 100% of the episodes again (except for his tendency to be a control freak).
Easy solution to what? He requires creative control (and I'm fine with that) but we don't know whether JMS planned to write most of the episodes for the failed project or not. And there's no easy solution or magic formula to something actually getting to the point of filming.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Starbrow
Lieutenant Commander

Which of the B5 actors might be available for this new project?
Starbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 03:37 PM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

There is such a large canvas where B5 is concerned that pretty much anything could be told with new characters and a new setting.

Next to Star Trek B5 is my favourite space opera. I'd love to see it revived somehow. Crusade had a lot of potential, but it got screwed over. LOTR was crap. Even so I feel something good could still be done.
Old July 24 2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Starbrow wrote: View Post
Which of the B5 actors might be available for this new project?
I can't imagine a new series that would use all or most of them for every episode, but, I'm sure most of those still alive would make themselves available for appearances. Michael O'Hare has something going on in his life, and Garibaldi's actor hasn't always been complimentary of new projects, but, I think anyone else would be up for appearances at least.

Regarding LotR quality, we have to consider that The Gathering wasn't exactly stellar or indicative of what Babylon 5 would become, had it never made it to Series. The Gathering is much better when viewed after full knowledge of what's to come. By itself, as an introduction, it wouldn't hook many.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 04:24 PM   #15
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

This kinda scares me, I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote