Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 15 2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
I wish Harlan Ellison would just die already...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ng-foxs-235987

He suing another movie that supposedly ripped him off again. Having read Harlan's stories he's trying to suppose they are ripping off, I can only concluded he is senile. Listen Harlan is an okay writer. No where near as talented/influential/creative as he believes in his mind. I wish he would just go away, really.

He probably will sue me for writing this clamming I stole it from him.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.

Last edited by Tom Hendricks; September 15 2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: I wish Harlan Ellison would just die already...

He is a cranky bastard, that's for sure. However, if someone takes my truck, I expect to be paid for its use. If Harlan can show that the ideas of the film are clearly taken from "Repent Harlequin..." he certainly is entitled to be paid for their use.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 12:03 AM   #3
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

@OP:

Have you seen the movie too? Or read the screenplay?

Have you seen the end of The Terminator recently? You know, based on the facts of that situation, his name is there for pretty good reasons.

What about the facts of this case?
Old September 16 2011, 12:07 AM   #4
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Nothing good can come from a thread with this title. It's inflammatory and tacky, not to mention tasteless.
Old September 16 2011, 12:13 AM   #5
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Nothing good can come from a thread with this title. It's inflammatory and tacky, not to mention tasteless.
So far, the thread behind the title looks good. And regarding tasteless... that boat has sailed on this message board long time ago.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Old September 16 2011, 12:16 AM   #7
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
He is a cranky bastard, that's for sure. However, if someone takes my truck, I expect to be paid for its use. If Harlan can show that the ideas of the film are clearly taken from "Repent Harlequin..." he certainly is entitled to be paid for their use.
This. OP, you are remarkably uninformed on this issue.
Old September 16 2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I actually almost wrote the same thing, but decided better of it, because it was just a knee-jerk reaction to an attack by a creator I don't like upon a creator I do. However, it is better and far wiser to withhold judgment in such matters unless one is well-informed on the facts and the law. I mean, I haven't even read the pleadings, let alone "Repent Harlequin."

P.S. "The City on the Edge of Forever" sucked.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 12:22 AM   #9
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It's ironic. All I've read about him is how he complains about stuff. Supposedly Roddenberry rewrote his script for City on the Edge of Forever, James Cameron stole his ideas, the I, Robot producer supposedly dismissed his script without having read it, etc, etc... he's probably not going to be remembered for his works.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 12:26 AM   #10
davejames
Vice Admiral

The problem is, just like with comedians who get blamed for "stealing" jokes, it's hard to think of ANY scifi idea that hasn't already been thought of by another scifi writer, somewhere.

Hell, there's probably a Silver Age comic book writer who came up with a similar idea even before Harlison did.

That said... I have to admit the similarities here DO seem pretty glaring.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 12:30 AM   #11
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Hate on Harlan all you want. Wishing him dead though? Really?
Old September 16 2011, 12:31 AM   #12
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
It's ironic. All I've read about him is how he complains about stuff. Supposedly Roddenberry rewrote his script for City on the Edge of Forever, James Cameron stole his ideas, the I, Robot producer supposedly dismissed his script without having read it, etc, etc... he's probably not going to be remembered for his works.

You should try reading his actual books and stories. His works have been celebrated for decades now, and with good reason, above and beyond any gossip about his legal battles.
Old September 16 2011, 12:53 AM   #13
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post

That said... I have to admit the similarities here DO seem pretty glaring.
Especially given they took names directly from the story. I'd have to read the story and see the movie to make up my mind, but if the writer of the movie were planning on stealing from Ellison, why wouldn't they at least change things like common names?

Off topic, but that poster with Justin Timberlake looks silly.
TremblingBluStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 12:57 AM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I don't see the similarities. In the film, people have the ability to live forever (because the aging gene has been deactivated) but must now actually *purchase* years for their lives - if they don't, they'll run out of time and die. Otherwise their lives are basically left to live as they see fit.

In Harlan's story, none of this happens. Everyone's lives are regulated to the Nth degree, and everyone has to do everything according to a precise schedule (being late is considered a high crime)... if you deviate from this, a certain amount of time is deducted from your lifespan. The ultimate punishment, reserved for the worst crimes, is immediate death. Unlike the world of the film, people are not immortal by design.

Those don't seem that similar, do they? Not to me, anyway.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 01:15 AM   #15
Procutus
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post

You should try reading his actual books and stories. His works have been celebrated for decades now, and with good reason, above and beyond any gossip about his legal battles.

What Greg said. I've been a fan of Harlan's work for years and had the pleasure of meeting the man in 1988. As someone trying to get my own work into print, I would hope that if someone made flagrant use of an idea or concept of mine, that I would be compensated in some manner.

It's been years since I read 'Repent'; now might be the time for me to pull it off the shelf for another look.