MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 27 2011, 06:28 PM   #31
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek TV Series To 3-D - CBS possible Conversion

I have still yet to see a post production 3D conversion that I want to watch, even assuming no difference in cost to me.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2011, 10:33 PM   #32
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

With the official CBS announcement
Sho wrote: View Post
All 178 episodes from seven seasons will be transferred to true high-definition 1080p for release on Blu-ray and eventual runs on television and digital platforms both domestically and internationally.
in the next 4 years I think we can safely put this thread to sleep. No mention of a Blu-ray 3D release or conversion of TNG in the above official press release so it is not happening.

also from the TNG subforum
The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2011, 10:55 PM   #33
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I just got a new 3D small TV with built in convertor, and have been watching everything in '3D'. Results vary, but some are pretty good. Doctor Who and Torchwood looked amazing. Voyager looked very flat. I'll certainly check out what TNG looks like converted at home when I have the disc.
Old December 19 2011, 04:54 PM   #34
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Admiral Pike wrote: View Post
One of the advantages with 3D Star Trek is seeing interstellar vistas, spaceship battles, alien planets, and awesome aliens all in full-fledged 3D. Imo 3D doesn't really serve that much point for regular tv dramas or comedies. 3D has much more potential for films and series with exotic environments and creatures, like Scifi and fantasy. So in this regard I think 3D trek would definitely be interesting to watch, if nothing else then perhaps as a mini feature. Maybe something that ties in with the next trek movie.

Or, if live action 3D is too costly, then why not go all the way and make a full-fledged CGI Trek series in 3D?
I'd like to point out that interstellar vistas involve extraordinary distances and to be able to perceive anything on an interstellar scale in 3D in real life, you'd have to have a distance between your eyeballs measured in tens of astronomical units. Even the view of a starship hanging against a nebula should look pretty flat from a normal Star Trek shot since our stereoscopic vision doesn't work beyond about fifty feet ... if that. Any attempt to represent a 3D starship shot against an interstellar vista, while that sounds great, would actually make the ship look like a toy. Even ship-to-ship encounters like those seen in Wrath of Khan should look flat or they'll come out toylike.

Now that isn't to say that I disagree with the rest of your statements. Alien creatures and environments would work very well in 3D ... just look at the movie Avatar for an example.
Old March 7 2012, 09:38 PM   #35
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

I came across this today. a Hollywood Reporter article about Fox channel testing 2-D to 3-D converter technology for movies as well as television.

Ian Harvey, senior vp, advanced technology at Fox,
Harvey explained that the studio is working with JVC to improve the 2D-to-3D conversion workstation with with an eye toward developing a cost effective way to get a quality result. The JVC technology, he suggested, might “enable us to make decisions (to convert content). Right now it is cost prohibitive.”
Fox is also testing the JVC workstation with episodic series television content. A 3D trailer for the series New Girl was converted using the technology.

JVC has not yet established a US price for the system.
Fox Testing JVC Technology for 2D-to-3D Conversion

If JVC is allowing a major TV network to test it then a few other companies have similar technology they are working on too. There are a number of patents for this type of technology.
New Girl is a single-camera comedy that shoots traditionally and I don't really see the need to convert modern TV to 3-D with a post conversion. Why not shoot a sitcom in stereoscopic 3-D to give a sense of depth to the set?
Sure convert cheaply old episodes of Miami Vice because it will air on the 500 channel universe with 100 3-D channels. I guess if people have a 3-D HDTV they want new HD content to watch in 3-D other than stereoscopically shot native 3-D sports.

What else can CBS Home Video really do with TOS-R after syndication and selling the HD files and downloads of TOS-R? What other video products can they sell with the TOS property of the Trek franchise? I can see CBS doing this in 10 years when better technology comes out.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote