Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 27 2014, 12:08 AM   #3091
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: What games are you playing currently?

Well I finally signed up for the $50 a year Playstation Plus and I picked up Dragon's Crown (PS3), Crysis 3 (PS3), and Metrico (Vita) for free. A year's subscription paid for itself within a single day. It feels like stealing.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 12:23 AM   #3092
martok2112
Captain

In first person shooters, most developers tend to stick with a few configurations that are popular among FPS gamers. Most of the games have about the same functions and features in their setups....grenades, weapon switches, triggers, aim down sights, jump/crouch, etc.

But I still prefer the ability to customize my control layout. Lack of fully customizable controls should be a cardinal sin.
Old August 27 2014, 12:28 AM   #3093
RoJoHen
Awesome

Not really sure how I'm feeling about "Watch Dogs." The driving controls seems exceptionally clumsy. Of course, I haven't played a driving game since GTA3 over 10 years ago, so maybe it's me.

It still feels way too much like Assassin's Creed in a modern setting, and I don't like how random online users can just start hacking me without any notice.

Since it takes place in Chicago, I've just been driving around and trying to find assorted landmarks. A lot of major stuff is randomly missing from the city, though, and that's annoying the hell out of me.

However, I did find the Bean!

Old August 27 2014, 01:25 AM   #3094
mimic
Rear Admiral

Half-Life 2 Episode 1

I've had the Orange Box for a while but only played Portal. I do realize this game is 10 years old and I'm a bit behind the times.

"And since I do not go into nuclear reactor cores I am free to trouble my brain over artificial sweeteners." - Goji
mimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 01:28 AM   #3095
martok2112
Captain

RoJo, you can turn off the intruder function so that no one can disrupt you while you're trying to enjoy the SP campaign. I turn mine off too.
Old August 27 2014, 03:21 AM   #3096
RoJoHen
Awesome

martok2112 wrote: View Post
RoJo, you can turn off the intruder function so that no one can disrupt you while you're trying to enjoy the SP campaign. I turn mine off too.
I figured it was probably an option; I just didn't look into it.

It's damn obnoxious. There's a reason I don't play multiplayer games. I certainly don't multiplayer shit interrupting my campaigns!

I also forgot that I bought the Infamous DLC "First Light" a couple weeks back, and it auto-downloaded today. I almost started playing that instead of Watch Dogs.
Old August 27 2014, 06:02 AM   #3097
BigFoot
Admiral

^ I think I'll wait for a sale to get First Light.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 07:51 AM   #3098
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

Just finished season 2 of The Walking Dead...damn you Telltale. You made me hurt.
Seventh White Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 08:04 AM   #3099
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

mimic wrote: View Post
Half-Life 2 Episode 1

I've had the Orange Box for a while but only played Portal. I do realize this game is 10 years old and I'm a bit behind the times.
Never too late to play the classics.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 09:45 AM   #3100
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Zulu Romeo

Cookie Clicker beta 1.0501
Old August 28 2014, 10:37 AM   #3101
martok2112
Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
martok2112 wrote: View Post
I figured it was probably an option; I just didn't look into it.

It's damn obnoxious. There's a reason I don't play multiplayer games. I certainly don't multiplayer shit interrupting my campaigns!

I also forgot that I bought the Infamous DLC "First Light" a couple weeks back, and it auto-downloaded today. I almost started playing that instead of Watch Dogs.
Yeah, I used to play multiplayer on a lot of games, but it just seems like they're overrun with foul-mouthed punks and little kids (who also tend to be foul-mouthed punks), hackers and griefers. I just prefer to play SP campaigns as well.

And here's what grinds my gears.....single player games that, for whatever reason, still have to check in with an online server. It's called "single player" for a reason, folks!
Old August 29 2014, 05:53 AM   #3102
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Played through Wolfenstein The New Order, first thing I've played in a long time. It's a pretty good game with some reservations.

Not being able to save anywhere stinks. The final boss was tough because it would save you with a horrible loadout so every time I died I had to go run all over to collect firepower which added nothing but tedium to the process. There's some long challenging sequences where the checkpoints are so far apart that it discouraged experimentation because I didn't want to risk having to play through again.

Playing on the PC the controls felt a little awkward. I imagine it was optimized for an X-Box controller. If anyone plays, I recommend switching the right mouse button to be "lean". By default, RMB is "iron sights" aiming which I didn't find too useful and leaning seemed impossible using the ALT key.

However the Iron Sky like plot of the Nazis taking over the world made for a lot of fun b-movie moments. One thing that was surprising was the music, the game reimagines early pop music and rock and roll as it might have happened through the lens of Nazi Germany and those tracks are really fun. The final credits features a really cool haunting rendition of a Chris Isaac song. EDIT: Looking online there are only 3 records to be found in game but there's a bunch of tunes on Youtube. I thought I just didn't find them all. Anyone who's curious they're up here: http://www.wolfenstein.com/en-us/site

mimic wrote: View Post
Half-Life 2 Episode 1

I'm not sure from your post, have you played Half-Life 2? If not, you should start with that.

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; August 29 2014 at 06:24 AM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2014, 08:47 AM   #3103
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.

I say this because I recently picked up a Playstation in a trade (some WWII DVDs and a little cash), and I've been in the process of trading the few horrible, horrible games for some good PSX games.

I've got a whole bunch of great titles coming through the mail, and I can't wait to play them. Until then, though, I'm going to play the hell out of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 07:37 AM   #3104
RoJoHen
Awesome

"Watch Dogs" wasn't really grabbing me, so I'm pausing from it for a bit. I started playing "First Light," the Infamous DLC, which has started out a lot more fun, though that could be because I'm already used to the world and the gameplay, so it was easy to dive right in.
Old August 30 2014, 03:57 PM   #3105
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.

I say this because I recently picked up a Playstation in a trade (some WWII DVDs and a little cash), and I've been in the process of trading the few horrible, horrible games for some good PSX games.

I've got a whole bunch of great titles coming through the mail, and I can't wait to play them. Until then, though, I'm going to play the hell out of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote