Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 23 2014, 02:03 PM   #3016
BigFoot
Admiral

Re: What games are you playing currently?

^ The battery life of the Dualshock 4 controller is definitely quite a bit worse.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the boss battles either.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 05:27 PM   #3017
RoJoHen
Awesome

BigFoot wrote: View Post
^ The battery life of the Dualshock 4 controller is definitely quite a bit worse.
*shrug*

I've had the same PS3 controller for over 6 years, so maybe I just got used to it not holding a charge for very long. So far my PS4 controller lasts a lot longer.
Old July 26 2014, 08:54 PM   #3018
Random_Spock
Commodore

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Been playing Tomodachi Life and Pokémon X lately, along with some FF X.
Old July 26 2014, 11:35 PM   #3019
Jax
Admiral

Trying to finish Splinter Cell: Blacklist, currently into the 8th mission (believe there is 12). Its all 24's fault, I been watching the mini series recently and it always makes me want to play Splinter Cell
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 04:29 AM   #3020
martok2112
Captain

Beat Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) not too long ago. Great game.
Still have to beat KillZone Shadow Fall (PS4). Another good game. I love the KillZone series on PlayStation. Even the PSVita game, KillZone Mercenary, was a solid entry in the game lineage.

Playing Watch Dogs (PS4). Good game...interesting mechanics. A cyber-tech sort of Grand Theft Auto.

Also was revisiting Elder Scrolls Oblivion (PS3 and Xbox 360), in anticipation of Elder Scrolls Online coming to the PS4...but, console versions have been pushed back. Interest is now waning a bit. Just bring on Elder Scrolls VI and Fallout 4.

On my PC, I've been playing Star Wars: Empire At War. Older title, I know, but I just love playing the Galactic Empire, building up my fleet, and crushing the enemy. I even understand why evil people have that maniacal laugh...especially when I finally uprated my fleet to all Imperial-class Star Destroyers. Forces of Corruption was a cool, if rather short, expansion game.

And for quick diversions, I've been enjoying Plants Vs Zombies on my PS3 and Plants Vs Zombies 2 on my Android phone. Eagerly awaiting Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare for my PS3.

Last edited by martok2112; July 27 2014 at 11:13 AM.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 04:35 PM   #3021
Jax
Admiral

Beat Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) not too long ago. Great game
Heard a lot of good things about this though wondering if I should get on the PC since FPS games tend to suffer with the controller IMO (Halo among one of the few exceptions). Also the fact there is several console games I am getting on PS4/XB1 between now and X Mas and the HDD space worries me...

BRING BACK OFF THE DISC PLAY ffs.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 09:55 PM   #3022
RoJoHen
Awesome

Continuing with "Infamous: Second Son." I finished the story on Wednesday, and now I'm finishing up all the side missions. I wish games like this did a better job of encouraging you to do side missions along the way. There are whole sections of the game map that I'm pretty sure I didn't even step foot in during the story.

I've also accessed the "Paper Trail" online mission. It's played both in-game and on the internet via the inFamous website. It's a little detective story with clues you have to piece together, which is a nice change of pace from just running around and collecting all the leftover blast shards.
Old July 27 2014, 10:00 PM   #3023
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Shovel Knight is awesome.

It makes me want to get an NES emulator and play every crappy NES game I read about in magazines when I was 8 but never played.

Mario Kart 8 needs a way to match you up with stronger players in online play. Playing newbies who can't stay even close enough to me to pass me when I get hit with a blue shell is boring. There are stronger players in tournaments but I can never seem to find the good tournaments when they are just about to start.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 12:46 AM   #3024
martok2112
Captain

Jax wrote: View Post
Beat Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) not too long ago. Great game
Heard a lot of good things about this though wondering if I should get on the PC since FPS games tend to suffer with the controller IMO (Halo among one of the few exceptions). Also the fact there is several console games I am getting on PS4/XB1 between now and X Mas and the HDD space worries me...

BRING BACK OFF THE DISC PLAY ffs.
Hi, Jax.

Yeah, Wolfenstein is a great game. I enjoyed the gameplay and the story.

Although I can see (and have known) the advantages that a mouse controller tends to bring to FPS games on PC (especially when combined with a Nostromo Key Pad), I really don't have problems with controllers on consoles. I also tend to not play a lot of multiplayer (too many punks, hackers, PKers and griefers out there....and too many kids playing games that they shouldn't, yet.)

As for the games being put directly for play off the HDD as opposed to straight off the disc, well....the upside is that, when you're finished playing a game for a while, just delete it from your hard drive, especially if you have several other games vying for your attention on that console. You can reinstall it later when your interest is piqued once more in that game. It is rather nice to be able to play a game with reduced load times, not to mention, not constantly running your disc driver. HDD's are probably a little more robust in that area than the disc driver.

I do agree with you largely though, and in addition, I think they should've left the option open for whether or not you want to install a game directly to your hard drive (as was done with PS3 and Xbox 360) instead of making it mandatory on the PS4 and Xbox One. I mean, what if you don't like the game? Then you'll have lost a considerable amount of your time waiting for it to install onto the HDD when you could've been just playing it right off the bat, determining whether or not you like it. If you like it, then install it. If not, pack it up and take it back for a refund or trade in.
Old July 28 2014, 12:54 AM   #3025
martok2112
Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Continuing with "Infamous: Second Son." I finished the story on Wednesday, and now I'm finishing up all the side missions. I wish games like this did a better job of encouraging you to do side missions along the way. There are whole sections of the game map that I'm pretty sure I didn't even step foot in during the story.

I've also accessed the "Paper Trail" online mission. It's played both in-game and on the internet via the inFamous website. It's a little detective story with clues you have to piece together, which is a nice change of pace from just running around and collecting all the leftover blast shards.
A lot of times, when it comes to open world games, I will play some of the main story to build up some experience in the game, and then, just go ahead and start playing the side missions to prolong the gameplay (and the story element). In addition to doing it this way, I build up XP and powers/abilities to take on the later story missions....although sometimes those story missions will ramp up with your own experience so that it doesn't lose the challenge.

Right now, I'm doing this with Watch Dogs. Probably the only downside to a lot of side missions is that, after a while, they really get repetitive. Sadly, it is generally the same with Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

But, ultimately, I am a sucker for open world games. I need to get Infamous Second Son, and there's another Infamous game coming out with a chick as the protagonist. Very cool!

I like playing third person games that have a chick protagonist. My philosophy: If I have to have a character to look at from behind, she better be a chick, and she better have a cute bum.
Old July 28 2014, 05:54 AM   #3026
RoJoHen
Awesome

martok2112 wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

A lot of times, when it comes to open world games, I will play some of the main story to build up some experience in the game, and then, just go ahead and start playing the side missions to prolong the gameplay (and the story element). In addition to doing it this way, I build up XP and powers/abilities to take on the later story missions....although sometimes those story missions will ramp up with your own experience so that it doesn't lose the challenge.
I sometimes do that, but sometimes I don't. It really depends on the flow of the game and if the side missions are "on the way" to the next part of the story. But like I said earlier, when I finished the story of Infamous, there were parts of the game map that I had never even used, so it was hard to motivate myself go out of my way to do those side missions.

But, ultimately, I am a sucker for open world games. I need to get Infamous Second Son, and there's another Infamous game coming out with a chick as the protagonist. Very cool!

I like playing third person games that have a chick protagonist. My philosophy: If I have to have a character to look at from behind, she better be a chick, and she better have a cute bum.
She is actually a supporting character in Second Son. From what I understand, though, her game is a DLC story. It's standalone, and you don't need to own Second Son to play it, but it's not going to be a full sized game.
Old July 28 2014, 07:54 AM   #3027
BigFoot
Admiral

I finished the HD remake of Final Fantasy X last night. Man I love that game. And it looks gorgeous.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 08:19 PM   #3028
RoJoHen
Awesome

The "Infamous Paper Trail" mission is pretty much all I have left for Second Son. It's fun, but it's a little weird.

For those unfamiliar, you basically run around the world gathering evidence from various murder scenes. That evidence is then uploaded to your PSN account. You then have to go onto your computer and put the pieces together by examining the evidence and solving puzzles, which eventually gives you enough information to figure out where next to go in the game.

It's pretty fun, but I wish I wasn't constantly having to go back and forth between my PS4 and my computer, especially since they're in totally different rooms in my house. One of the missions actually involves printing out a pdf of an Origami Dove with broken writing on it and folding it in such a way as to reveal a set of numbers...which would be fun, except I don't own a printer!
Old July 29 2014, 11:59 PM   #3029
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Zulu Romeo

Elite: Dangerous standard beta 1.00. Anyone else playing, look out for me and send me a friend request. I am "Zion Ravescene."
Old July 30 2014, 09:09 AM   #3030
SPCTRE
BATMANBATMANBATMAN

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Jax wrote: View Post
South Park is now done and was well worth the 11 hours+...Probably give it an 8 out of 10 score
Finished it yesterday, I think it is everything a South Park fan could want out of a South Park video game Obsidian are getting a lot of flak for the flaws in their games, but the industry would be worse off without them in terms of mid-tier RPG variety.

Certainly makes up for the many, many disappointing earlier lincensed games.