Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 24 2014, 08:06 AM   #2956
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Re: What games are you playing currently?

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
I'm trying to get some Mass Effect 2 in when I can find the time (which I usually can't at the moment) in preparation of my definitive, penultimate (yeah, right, I don't even believe it myself ) Mass Effect 3 playthrough.

Incredibly, seeing the spouse play Mass Effect 3 gave me the hots for that game, even though I didn't enjoy it as much as its predecessors back when I first played it.
Coincidentlally i found ME2 the weakest of the series.. you basically run around assembling your team for 80% of the time and the rest is for the main story. It was a good game but i vastly prefer the story of ME1 and ME3.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 09:13 AM   #2957
RoJoHen
Awesome

Aaaaaand I beat Uncharted 2...in about a day and a half. I am embracing laziness this week and spending all of my free time playing video games.
Old June 24 2014, 10:00 AM   #2958
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
^The game "ends" with you sacrificing one of the two friends you have with you over the course of the game seemingly for no reason, destroying a battleship attacking your carrier.

Your carrier presumably then sails on into the Suez Canal to make a last stand against the attacking Chinese/Russian invasion force.

But the actual war, the final assault, none of it happens, you just get the end credits with an audio file of the two characters talking prior to the mission.

It's a very abrupt ending that leaves everything unresolved. The main EA website has had an expansion pack named "Final Stand" as "TBA" for a few weeks now, under Singe player. From the description it basically reads as the final few missions carrying on from the non-ending of the main disc.

So either they didn't have it all finished for the release date, as they rushed the hell out of it thats not suprising. Or it's a Mass Effect situation where the backlash over the unresolved story forced them to make one.
I revisited the ending on YouTube:

I think "Last Stand" is just the last multiplayer expansion pack, like "End Game" was for BF3. That seems reasonable, BF3 had 5 expansion packs as its DLC suite, and it looks to be the same for BF4.

I don't think any more story stuff is coming for this game.
Old June 25 2014, 01:08 AM   #2959
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

That's disappointing. Your post pretty much sums up the major problems with the ending, too much that needed wrapping up that simply wasn't, leaving a lot of it ambigous.

I wasn't exactly expecting one of CoD's 'big damn endings' but I was expecting better closure.

And on that note, currently replaying a run-through of the Modern Warfare trilogy.

And Team Fortress 2 after the Bread update. That game has hit a new low, and that's...not even funny anymore.
Old June 25 2014, 08:48 AM   #2960
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I don't get why they try to ape COD so heavily in the first place. Their tech pretty much begs for a more open design, with less scripting and more holy shit emergent gameplay. Not this run down a corridor and watch a mo-capped cut-scene shit. I feel like there's an interesting single player experience hiding in there somewhere and they just don't want to try and find it. Something more along the lines of the older Ghost Recon titles, but with destructibility and helicopters.
Old June 25 2014, 08:58 AM   #2961
SPCTRE
BATMANBATMANBATMAN

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Yoda wrote: View Post
I don't get why they try to ape COD so heavily in the first place. Their tech pretty much begs for a more open design, with less scripting and more holy shit emergent gameplay. Not this run down a corridor and watch a mo-capped cut-scene shit. I feel like there's an interesting single player experience hiding in there somewhere and they just don't want to try and find it. Something more along the lines of the older Ghost Recon titles, but with destructibility and helicopters.
That would be EA's fault, as their first attempt to do it (i.e. Medal of Honor) failed miserably and they're stubbornly, misguidedly trying to get a piece of that CoD pie.

Agreed on all of your points, though, BF singleplayer could be a great (in a Bethesda -like open world, semi-broken-but-in-a-good-way fashion) experience.
Old June 25 2014, 02:38 PM   #2962
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
That sounds fun. I miss quality single player campaigns in FPS games.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 02:58 PM   #2963
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Yeah, Battlefield is a much better oppertunity to be open world, having multiple objectives on a single map, using transport, destructibility, weapon availabilty etc for it.

They might even choose to do that for BF5 in 2016 but I'm not that hopeful. If Flashpoint wasn't too old to run on my laptop I'd be playing it still.
Old June 25 2014, 05:03 PM   #2964
Bob The Skutter
The Revd's Oldman

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Finished Infamous Second Son. First big game in ages I really got stuck in to.
Old June 27 2014, 02:55 AM   #2965
RoJoHen
Awesome

Just beat all three Uncharted games in less than a week!

Now what?
Old June 27 2014, 06:02 AM   #2966
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Beat them on Crushing (if you haven't already).
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 09:55 AM   #2967
RoJoHen
Awesome

Not even going to try.

I have a hard enough time playing games on Normal.
Old June 27 2014, 10:21 AM   #2968
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Well then never mind.
Old June 27 2014, 10:24 AM   #2969
RoJoHen
Awesome

I just got super pumped when I saw the teaser for Uncharted 4, and I was in between games so I decided to replay that series.

1 and 2 were awesome, of course, and I enjoyed 3 a lot more than I did the first time around. Between these and "The Last of Us," Naughty Dog is easily my favorite game developer. I WANT THEM TO MAKE MORE THINGS!
Old June 27 2014, 10:34 AM   #2970
BigFoot
Admiral

My problem is that I have way too many games that I wanna play. I'm now about 8 hours into Final Fantasy X... so I have like 50 hours to go. Then I wanna play FFX-2. And I have more than 20 other games on my stack.

But yeah, ND do make some great games. While they're not as good as the Ratchet & Clank games, I also enjoyed the Jak & Daxter games.