IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old October 24 2012, 09:51 AM   #2101
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Re: What games are you playing currently?

Need to get XCOM and AssCreed III next week. Right now I'm on the cusp of finishing Dishonored (with a high chaos rating because I'm really shit at videogames, mate).

Finished Walking Dead episode 4 on Sunday. That series has been a triumph for interactive narrative and the concept episodic gaming. So tense. So gripping. So utterly able to break you via your own paternal instinct.
Old October 24 2012, 03:47 PM   #2102
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

X-COM: Enemy Unknown ('94, with UFOExtender to fix bugs)

My current playthrough (on beginner) is pretty good, aside from the US signing a pact with the aliens two months into the game.

I just chalk it up to Bush being in office. The money loss isn't that big, since it let me setup a laser cannon factory for good cashflow, in addition to alien repo.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 04:46 PM   #2103
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Pokemon White 2, Sonic Jump, TF2.
Old October 24 2012, 05:42 PM   #2104
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

I got Forza Horizon yesterday and so far it's a pretty fun game. Definitely some of the best graphics I've seen in a racing game and the Colorado setting that's open to free roam is a nice refresher from the Forza Motorsport formula.
Old October 28 2012, 01:29 AM   #2105
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Sims FreePlay, new Halloween update. They finally got GUNS!

Ghostbusters guns, sure...but still. Now I feel like a real gamer at last.

PS, can't figure out how EA makes money off this game. I've been playing since July and I've spent a grand total of maybe seven dollars on it, and probably won't bother spending more. I guess a lot of people are too impatient to just play the damn game and build up simoleons and life points that way. But where's the challenge in buying your way through the game? And then they complain the game is "boring."
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 03:43 PM   #2106
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

The Sims 3 is still releasing expansion packs at £30 (~$45) a time, which are still selling millions of copies, which is used to fund more and little side projects like this.
Old October 28 2012, 07:50 PM   #2107
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

So the best deal is to play Sims freeplay and avoid the main PC based game?

I looked at the main game, and although it has lots more options, I love the freeplay graphics on the ipad. And with the Halloween pack being released, it does look like they intend to keep beefing up freeplay. But the price is what sold me, ya can't beat free.

I'm sure EA feels they have to develop for phone/pad devices since "that's where games are headed." Sims freeplay may be market research to figure out what works, what doesn't, what people will spend money on if they'll spend anything at all.

Who know if they're placing a good bet but I'm more than happy to enjoy a free ride while it lasts.
Old October 28 2012, 08:53 PM   #2108
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

I have Freeplay and 3, and Freeplay is just easier. Sims 2 even with all the packs installed isn't that bad if you play it now and then, 3 was just too bothersome from the beginning.
Old October 28 2012, 10:55 PM   #2109
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

XCom: Enemy Unknown and World of Tanks mostly

XCom i played through on normal mode without much difficulty but then i tried Classic Mode (the next difficulty mode) with Ironman enabled (only one automatic save game.. screw up the game and you can't reload to try again).

I'm honestly a the end of my wit.. i tried over a dozen approaches and sooner or later i am done and on the losing end. The last savegame went pretty well actually.. managed to keep most of the soldiers alive to gain experience and even got to the next equipment level to keep up with the appearance of harder enemies only to lose the entire team in two missions in a row.. now i'm down to one Soldier, basically no money to hire new ones and about 2/3 of the countries on the verge of leaving.

Damn that game is hard.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 07:38 PM   #2110
Dinklebot
Vice Admiral

View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile

Completed building my new PC gaming / home server rig today, so mostly been "playing" 3D Mark 2011 and assorted CPU benchmarks and stress tests

- Route Code: EXLTD > XCV – SCRB > ALLCH <> Source: Undetermined (trans)
Dinklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 07:55 PM   #2111
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Sims freeplay being easier isnt necessarily a good thing. I feel like the options are limited, and the lack of challenge and variety is the worst aspect of the game.

It's annoying that the Sims all have the same face and that their personality types apparently have no influence on their behavior. I'd like to take a crack at designing my own clothing, hair, furniture and even animations. I'd like to see the lake behind the dam. I'd like to turn my Sims into vampires and fight off a zombie attack.

But most of all they really need weather and seasons. The Xmas pack better include a white Christmas. (I'm assuming an Xmas pack is in the works of course...)
Old November 5 2012, 07:59 PM   #2112
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Then stick with the Sims 2, Sims 3 made the Vampires into those stupid fae things from Twilight.
Old November 5 2012, 09:58 PM   #2113
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'm not familiar with Twilight (she said proudly) , do you mean they sparkle? No Sim vampires in freeplay yet, I guess I could cope with sparkly ones even.
Old November 5 2012, 10:01 PM   #2114
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
I'm not familiar with Twilight (she said proudly) , do you mean they sparkle? No Sim vampires in freeplay yet, I guess I could cope with sparkly ones even.
There are two kinds, the coffin sleeping, sun hating, blood drinking variation (harder to get and a lot harder to maintain) or "vegetarian" Vampires that drink cloned plasma from the fridge, sparkle in daylight and levitate above normal beds.

Both are ageless and have superspeed literally running 5 times faster than other Sims and turning into bats, but still.
Old November 6 2012, 03:58 PM   #2115
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I picked up Radiant Historia for the DS last week. It's been a long, long time since I've played a JRPG that felt fresh and original.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote