A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 24 2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Civ001
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your favorite Sci Fi games?

As it says on the tin. What are some of your favorite science fiction video games?
Civ001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Your favorite Sci Fi games?

Mega Man and Phantasy Star.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 10:16 PM   #3
martok2112
Lieutenant Commander

Mass Effect trilogy, Halo series, Killzone series, TimeSplitters Future Perfect, Darkstar One: Broken Alliance.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Captrek
Rear Admiral

How about SF board games? In the late 80's and early 90's, I was addicted to Cosmic Encounter.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 10:29 PM   #5
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Alpha Centauri for strategy, and Mass Effect for its great universe.

Last edited by TheGodBen; June 25 2014 at 02:31 AM.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 10:32 PM   #6
martok2112
Lieutenant Commander

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Alpha Centauri for strategy, and Mass Effect for it's great universe.
Ha ha...and I'm probably one of the few that actually liked the Hammerhead APC in Mass Effect. I was sad to see it get snubbed by the majority of ME players.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 12:04 AM   #7
Reverend
Rear Admiral

'Mass Effect' for the space opera and high adventure that took all the cliches and borrowed from just about every IP going and made it it's own.
'Homeworld' for conveying the scale and sense of incomprehensible vastness of space with the austere Dune/Foundation style of storytelling.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 08:36 AM   #8
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Starting with the 90s i adored the Tie Fighter/X-Wing games as well as Wing Commander which were awesome.

Then they started making Star Wars roleplaying games where you finally could whirl around a lightsaber be a Jedi culminating in the excellent Knights of the Old Republic games.

Currently Mass Effect seems to be the best game series, wonderful world building and very entertaining characters on top of good and ever improving gameplay.

Halo should be mentioned for story and one of the most iconic gaming SF character but i found the actual gameplay not that world shattering, a basic shooter.
Old June 25 2014, 08:43 AM   #9
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

In terms of the (extended) universes, Mass Effect and Halo are my favorite franchises. I certainly enjoyed the stories and world-building enough to read most of the novelizations.

Halo also introduced me to Larry Niven's Ringworld and his Known Space universe.
Im gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp. Oh really? Thats great because Im gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because youre subhuman trash, Mr. Mayor!
Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 11:12 AM   #10
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I've only ever played the first Halo and a little of the second (never owned an XBox) but I thought the lore and setting was highly derivative and unlike Mass Effect, didn't do anything all that interesting with it. The characters were fairly bland too IMO.
Don't get me wrong, it's the first game to really make FPSs workable on consoles, has a great soundtrack...but as a sci-fi game, I feel it's pretty mediocre.

Forgot to mention; the Deus Ex games are fantastic cyberpunk sci-fi games. Both in terms of gameplay and story/character/setting etc.

Not sure if 'Beyond Good and Evil' counts as it's more of a fantasy in a sci-fi seting...but then I suppose so is Star Wars.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2014, 01:36 PM   #11
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I like the Halo universe and its story. I liked that humanity was slowly being wiped out, and then they found something that somehow made the situation even worse. The cutscene at the end of The Storm still gives me chills. It's not nearly as good as Mass Effect, but I still think it's a good space opera adventure.

What I don't like is Halo's extended universe, especially the way it was implemented into the story of Halo 4.
Old June 25 2014, 01:42 PM   #12
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

^ I have to admit I can't say too much about the newer extended universe (I suppose you're referring to the Forerunner books) as I haven't read much of it, my appreciation largely stems from the earliest couple of novels (Fall of Reach in particular). That was very solid, entertaining military sci-fi.
Im gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp. Oh really? Thats great because Im gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because youre subhuman trash, Mr. Mayor!
Jeff Gerstmann
Old June 25 2014, 02:15 PM   #13
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I still play Galactic Civilizations II. I'm in the middle of a game now, but I only have 4 planets after several days due to the universe seeding, so I'll either be conquered, start a new game, or give myself top weapons and defense and go full evil empire against everybody.
Old June 25 2014, 02:47 PM   #14
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I like GalCiv2 as well, but I play it as Civilization in space and didn't bother with the story missions or lore.

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
(I suppose you're referring to the Forerunner books)
Yeah, I don't have a problem with the early books, but the lore of the later novels just doesn't fit with the Halo games as I imagined them. I thought the story of Halo 4 was a confusing mess and it caused me to lose interest in the future of the series.
Old June 25 2014, 02:53 PM   #15
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

Oh for sure, Halo 4 appeared to be very much guilty of not including all relevant aspects of the story in the game to the point of being indecipherable to anyone who wasn't already knee-deep in the more current novels and other accompanying material.
Jeff Gerstmann