Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 10 2014, 01:58 AM   #1
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Looking For Fun PS2 Games

So I have a PS2 thanks to a friend who didn't want his anymore. It came with about 12 games, which is great, except his taste in games and my taste in games are two different worlds. Oh, we both like Gran Turismo 3, and Hot Shots Golf Fore!, but the rest of his games are definitely not my style. I have Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil 4, and so on (in paper sleeves, since he didn't have most of the cases), and I don't like those games. They're violent, and bloody, and about zombies and such, and that is just not me at all.

What I'm looking for are cheerful games. Fun games that have lots of colors, music, and are upbeat.

The PS2 has thousands of titles in its library, but I don't even know where to start. Remember, something fun and light, bright, colorful, cheerful. I want something that I can just relax and enjoy without concerning myself with blood, violence, and the like.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 02:17 AM   #2
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Looking For Fun PS2 Games

The PS2 has some excellent bright, colourful, and cartoony mascot platformers on the system.

Ape Escape series
Ratchet and Clank series
Sly Cooper series
Jak and Daxter (avoid the sequels -- they go the dark and gritty route. And they suck.)

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."

Last edited by Kelthaz; September 10 2014 at 02:50 AM. Reason: forgot Ape Escape
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 02:25 AM   #3
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

With the PS2 you are able to play PS1 games as well. From the PS1 catalog I can think of The Grinch as being colorful. Or even the Spider-Man game from 2000. Unless you want to go with Spyro.

Sorry, I always found the Nintendo platforms to have the more colorful and cheerful games. I mostly got my PS2 to play Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. Star Trek: Shattered Universe, but otherwise I never found there was that much on the console.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 03:26 AM   #4
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I was thinking about the Jack and Daxter games. As for PS1 games, I have an HDTV and as much as I love the games, for me they look awful, blurry, and pretty hard to stare at without eye discomfort.
Brony Kingdom
Old September 10 2014, 03:56 AM   #5
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The Spyro games are cute and fun.

The Simpsons: Hit & Run is a GTA-style game but with the Simpsons and minus the violence.

There's also Wallace and Gromit: Project Zoo, which is pretty cute.

Let's not forget the classic, Katamari Damacy.

Also try:

* Psychonauts
* Ico
* Everblue 2
* Gitaroo Man
* Space Channel 5
Old September 10 2014, 04:08 AM   #6
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Ooh, I'll check those out! Thanks Rob.
Brony Kingdom
Old September 10 2014, 05:09 AM   #7
martok2112
Commander

J.Allen,

Do not forget, there are also a few Star Trek games out for the PS2.

-There was the flawed (very flawed) port of Star Trek Voyager Elite Force. It's a first person shooter, but set in the Trek universe....so there's no blood, or zombies (unless you consider the Borg to be zombies...LOL), and no language (outside of maybe damn or hell).

-There's Star Trek Encounters, which lets you pilot ships from Star Trek Enterprise, TMP era, TNG, DS9, VOY, and one called Sovereign, where you get to fly the Enterprise E. It's a third person, isomeric aspect fly and shoot game.

-Star Trek Conquest, which is more of a strategy game. I didn't play it all that much. Didn't have quite the appeal for me as Encounters did.

-Star Trek Shattered Universe, which you are Captain Sulu, taking the Excelsior up against the Klingons. It's an ok game, and they did get George Takei to voice Sulu for the game.

For PS1, there was Star Trek Invasion, in which you piloted Federation fighters against Klingons, Romulans, and the Hur'Q!

Anyhoo....just some Star Trek PS2/PS1 ideas if you're interested. You might be able to find them used in a GameStop (good luck), but might have a better go at it shopping either online, or if you have a game store around that deals in older games.
Old September 10 2014, 06:29 AM   #8
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

I now have Star Trek: Encounters and Simpsons: Road Rage on order. It's a game trading website, and so I can get rid of some of these games I don't play for some that I will!
Brony Kingdom
Old September 10 2014, 07:26 AM   #9
SPCTRE
That Wizard

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Since you enjoy racing games, might I suggest WipEout Fusion? (I don't know how you feel about the WipEout franchise overall.)
Old September 10 2014, 07:27 AM   #10
RoJoHen
Awesome

martok2112 wrote: View Post

-There was the flawed (very flawed) port of Star Trek Voyager Elite Force. It's a first person shooter, but set in the Trek universe....so there's no blood, or zombies (unless you consider the Borg to be zombies...LOL), and no language (outside of maybe damn or hell).
Elite Force was fantastic on PC. I had no idea they made a PS2 version.
Old September 10 2014, 08:09 AM   #11
SPCTRE
That Wizard

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

It was a really bad port. Glad I didn't have to suffer through it.
Old September 10 2014, 09:27 AM   #12
martok2112
Commander

I think, if it weren't for the choppiness...the bog down....Elite Force was an ok game on the PS2.

What was really misleading was that it ran on the Quake III Arena engine (as it stated on the PS2), and yet, I know QIIIA (the game) ran just fine on PS2....perhaps they tried to squeeze in a bit too much to try and maintain the integrity of EF....and obviously failed miserably.

@J. Allen, I hope you'll enjoy Star Trek Encounters. It's not a bad game at all. Not great, but certainly not bad.
Old September 10 2014, 09:28 AM   #13
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Since you enjoy racing games, might I suggest WipEout Fusion? (I don't know how you feel about the WipEout franchise overall.)
I checked it out and it looks good. I do like racing games (though not too many), and it seems fun, fast, and colorful!

I checked out RobMax's suggestion of Katamari Damacy, and it looks awesome. Minor problem is that it seems to be pricey everywhere, and the game trading site I'm on doesn't have it as a trade yet. Still, I'll keep an eye out for it. I like oddball games. If it's silly, colorful, and a bit off, I'm all for it. I like watching Japanese game shows, if that helps you get an idea of what kind of frame of mind I'm in.

I've done some more digging, and there are two games that look really interesting: Bard's Tale, and Klonoa 2.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!
Brony Kingdom
Old September 10 2014, 03:44 PM   #14
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I haven't played Bard's Tale, but Klonoa 2 is a great game if you're a fan of 2D platformers.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 11:32 PM   #15
martok2112
Commander

Bard's Tale is a laugh riot of a dungeon crawler. Heck, the instruction manual itself will have you laughing your head off.