Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 22 2012, 10:59 PM   #376
zar
Captain

Re: What continuity errors are there on Voyager?

exodus wrote: View Post
Ok, so after watching 7 years of TNG and Voy, we don't know replicators are tied into the transporters?
They showed in "the Cloud" they can farm anti-matter from nebulas.
We know the ship can land, we've seen it a few times.
We've seen the ship getting its warp coils changed in "nightingale" but we still question how the ship is repaired?
We've seen "Dark Frontier", heard Neelix say that debris can be broken down for energy for the ship, yet we still don't know where material comes from?
We seen them build the Delta Flyer and we still question why they still have shuttles?
We seen them trade for weapons in "Retrospect", we seen both Harry & B'Elanna have vast knowledge of how torpedos work & designed from both "Dreadnaut" & "Warhead"., yet we still question where now torpedos come from?
I don't see why you think you've made a point. What you did was give examples of the problems and tried to pass each off as a solution to the problem.

Your list might as well have gone something like this:

- We've seen that they keep getting new material, yet we still have a problem with them keeping getting new material.
- We've seen them popping out shuttle after shuttle, yet we still have a problem with them popping out shuttle after shuttle.
- We've seen them producing hundreds of torpedoes, yet we still have a problem with them producing hundreds of torpedoes.

Well, yeah, those are all definitely true statements. Voyager has believability issues, therefore we say Voyager has believability issues.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 11:21 PM   #377
MacLeod
Admiral

zar wrote: View Post
It sure is considering it's a complete misquote.
Perhaps, but it's not much of a misrepresentation.
Ok, so after watching 7 years of TNG and Voy, we don't know replicators are tied into the transporters?
They showed in "the Cloud" they can farm anti-matter from nebulas.
We know the ship can land, we've seen it a few times.
We've seen the ship getting its warp coils changed in "nightingale" but we still question how the ship is repaired?
We've seen "Dark Frontier", heard Neelix say that debris can be broken down for energy for the ship, yet we still don't know where material comes from?
We seen them build the Delta Flyer and we still question why they still have shuttles?
We seen them trade for weapons in "Retrospect", we seen both Harry & B'Elanna have vast knowledge of how torpedos work & designed from both "Dreadnaut" & "Warhead"., yet we still question where now torpedos come from?

All these things are within the show itself regardless of what order you watch it in. I've even given the episode(s) in which it was seen or said. I'm not saying the show didn't have it's flaws but some of the complaints fans have come from not paying attention.
The issue some have regarding the ship is not that it could be reapired, the fact is that at the begining of most episodes is was in pristine condition as if it had just left the construction yards. If you had showed a damaged ship over the course of say 18 episodes and it looking repaired the following episode. It isn't as hard to swallow that they managed to repair the ship inbetween episodes. Once every 18 or so episods is easier to believe than virtually inbetween episodes.

Replicators do consume energy you don't get something for nothing. So to turn a piece of debris into say a tri-corder. You have to consume energy to break it down, and then consume more energy to make the tri-corder.

As for the shuttles, It begins to stretch credability that they can simply churn out them out as easily as they appear to do.

The premise of the show in part was supposed to strip of them somewhat of what they took for granted. This could have made the show great had they tried to live up to the premise. For me what we got was a largely average show with a few flashes of greatness.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 11:40 PM   #378
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure from an aerial perspective, that I saw all these tiny people crawling over the ships hull in Nightingale pulling off hull plating and welding.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 11:54 PM   #379
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Ferengi?
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 12:29 AM   #380
exodus
Fleet Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post

The issue some have regarding the ship is not that it could be reapired, the fact is that at the begining of most episodes is was in pristine condition as if it had just left the construction yards. If you had showed a damaged ship over the course of say 18 episodes and it looking repaired the following episode. It isn't as hard to swallow that they managed to repair the ship inbetween episodes. Once every 18 or so episods is easier to believe than virtually inbetween episodes.
So fans don't buy into the idea that Trek has such advanced and often magical technology and engineers that "turn rocks into replicators" and how it makes life easier? Science fiction, without the fiction.

Replicators do consume energy you don't get something for nothing. So to turn a piece of debris into say a tri-corder. You have to consume energy to break it down, and then consume more energy to make the tri-corder.
Didn't they find ways to not only fix but extreme their power supply during the first 3 seasons? I even remember Seven showing another race how to build their own power generator to replicate too feed and power their ships.

As for the shuttles, It begins to stretch credability that they can simply churn out them out as easily as they appear to do.
Wasn't a good portion of the crew engineers?
From my understanding most casual viewers accept this is solved due to Trek's miracle tech., while die hards want science fact from fiction?

The premise of the show in part was supposed to strip of them somewhat of what they took for granted. This could have made the show great had they tried to live up to the premise. For me what we got was a largely average show with a few flashes of greatness.
Sounds like life in general.
Old January 23 2012, 12:40 AM   #381
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Well, yeah, those are all definitely true statements. Voyager has believability issues, therefore we say Voyager has believability issues.
Star Trek is sci-fi, therefore Voyager is also fiction.

Sorry, believability in a story about folks in a space ship always seems like an oxymoron too me.
Old January 23 2012, 12:52 AM   #382
zar
Captain

Sorry, believability in a story about folks in a space ship always seems like an oxymoron too me.
The ISS team would like a word with you.

Are you really going to pursue the "it's sci-fi, so believability doesn't matter" argument? *groan*
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 12:55 AM   #383
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Well, if I may say so, I believe believeabilty is important in any Star Trek production. About 2/3 of the story should be believeable and 1/3 down to the special effects and sci-fiey elements. But that's just me.
Old January 23 2012, 12:59 AM   #384
exodus
Fleet Admiral

The ISS team would like a word with you.

Are you really going to pursue the "it's sci-fi, so believability doesn't matter" argument? *groan*
Are you going to be one of those Trek fans that has to believe Trek is real?
Old January 23 2012, 01:04 AM   #385
MacLeod
Admiral

There is a little something called suspension of disbelief. It doesn't matter what genre your show/film is your audiance is only willing to go so far in suspension of disbelief, exceed that and disbelief is broken.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 01:05 AM   #386
exodus
Fleet Admiral

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
Well, if I may say so, I believe believeabilty is important in any Star Trek production. About 2/3 of the story should be believeable and 1/3 down to the special effects and sci-fiey elements. But that's just me.
I'd say we're close to on point with that.
I believe the characters and the story they're involved with should ring true. All the rest is fiction.
Old January 23 2012, 01:05 AM   #387
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I mean heck, whenever folks talk about how NuBSG was the show Voyager should have been they conveniently always overlook/ignore how it also has "magic technology" like the Jump Drive despite so much of their other tech being so low-class.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 01:27 AM   #388
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

I believe the characters and the story they're involved with should ring true. All the rest is fiction.

Excatly, thank you for understanding what I was trying to say with my post. As long as we understand other's posts there need be no inhouse fighting.
Old January 23 2012, 01:35 AM   #389
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Excatly, thank you for understanding what I was trying to say with my post. As long as we understand other's posts there need be no inhouse fighting.
Debate, yes.
Fighting, no.
...but yes, I completely understand many of your points of view.
Old January 23 2012, 01:39 AM   #390
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Thank you for saying so.