Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 20 2012, 12:52 AM   #301
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: What continuity errors are there on Voyager?

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
Right. The point is they were in the Delta Quadrant. To use your example: There wasn't a friendly town in which they could trade for bullets (or gasoline...).
This isn't Mad Max, we already know from all the other Trek shows just how loaded with advanced sentient life the Trekverse is. There were inhabited worlds and friendly advanced civilizations they ran by all the time.

Even in Farscape they mentioned that there were lots of Commerce planets they went to (off-screen), and they were wanted criminals being hunted by the major powers of the area! No reason why Voyager would have such a harder time of it especially when the tough guys on the block WEREN'T chasing them as criminals.

Voyager must have been carrying an industrial replicator (which seemed to be somewhat not readily availble according to DSN).

After all I don't think a standard replicator could replicate hull plates, torpedeo casings etc...
Engineering replicators probably can, since in Trek Starships are made that way (big replicators make most of the parts, then they get assembled together). The engineering area and shuttle bays likely have more powerful replicators more that sort of repair work.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 12:55 AM   #302
MacLeod
Admiral

^Then you at the very least have to show/mention it.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 01:42 AM   #303
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Someone should rename this thread to "fanwank away all of Voyager's problems".
I'm happy to just accept Voyager had a lot of problems while enjoying the show as well, I wish others could.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 01:54 AM   #304
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

We saw them use that massive single transporter pad in Counterpoiunt down in engineering, when the telepathic crew was hiding from the telepath hunters.

How do you supect they were able to build two DElta Fliers if they couldn't replicate large moulded and cut sheets of duranium "somehow"?

After we saw that they could manifest the Doctor out side of the ship with a parabolic dish (Man overboard) it really opened the door on what they can do with broadcasted matter.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 03:26 AM   #305
WarpCore
Lieutenant

TNG says a ship can replace its antimatter.

Liaisons
WORF: The Engineering sections encompass twelve decks of the secondary hull. Deck forty two contains the antimatter storage facility.
BYLETH: What is the mass flow rate of the antimatter replenishment stream to the containment pods?
WORF: Excuse me?
BYLETH: The antimatter replenishment rate. What is it?
WORF: I am not certain of the exact rate.
BYLETH: Perhaps there is someone here who does know the answer. You. Are you smarter than this one?
LAFORGE: Why do you ask?
BYLETH: Never mind.
BYLETH: I wish to see the Bussard collectors. Take me to them.
WORF: This way.

But TNG also had its issues with lines about antimatter.

Coming Of Age
COMPUTER: Last question on the hyperspace physics test. If the matter and antimatter tanks on a Galaxy class starship are nine tenths depleted, calculate the intermix ratio necessary to reach a starbase a hundred light years away at warp factor eight. Begin.
(Wesley is straight in with 1:1. Oliana runs out of time)
COMPUTER: Time elapsed. You now have one hour free before the next test.
MORDOCK: I must admit, Wesley, you have a very fast mind.
WESLEY: Once as I realised it was a trick question, there was only one answer.
MORDOCK: Yes, there is only one ratio with matter antimatter. One to one.

Skin of Evil
LYNCH: Forget the final check. Initiate start-up sequence.
COMPUTER: Beginning check list.
LYNCH: Override. We are going directly to start-up.
COMPUTER: That procedure is not recommended.
LYNCH: Understood. Now. Prime matter-antimatter injectors. Set ratio at twenty-five to one.

Booby Trap
RIKER [OC] We need warp power now!
LAFORGE: Matter-anti matter mixture ratio settings at optimum balance Reaction sequence corresponding to specified norms. Magnetic plasma transfer to warp field generators per programmed specs. Commander, we should be going like a bat out of hell.

Galaxy's Child
LEAH: The matter-antimatter ratio has been changed. The mixture isn't as rich as regulations dictate.
LAFORGE: Experience has shown me that too high a ratio diminishes efficiency. I worked with the mixture until I got the right balance.

Chain of Command, Part 2
JELLICO: All right. Worf, prepare a series of five hundred antimatter mines with magnetic targeting capabilities.
WORF: Aye, sir.

If they'd brought Worf to the DQ, they wouldn't have had much problem replacing a thousand torpedoes per day. Tuvok should be roughly as competent. He just didn't want to be disrespectful to the captain and say "I'll show you 'we have no way to replace them.'" out loud. TNG also shows Welsey playing with antimatter efficiency and replacement for school projects. After that, it's safe to assume it's readily abundant for all sorts of ideas once you locate a supply of it to farm or mine.

It's also safe to assume
When situation is normal: You can create a matter-antimatter warhead.
When your ship is being digested by a huge organism and your energy reserves are depleted: You cannot create a matter-antimatter warhead.
WarpCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 04:03 AM   #306
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Which brings up a question of another kind:

Can Voyager seperate into two sections like ENT-D?
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 04:05 AM   #307
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

According to your Writer's bible: Your dirt poor vagabond used silver bullets in his six-shooter. Not once during the seven years of his series as he travelled from one side of the country to the other did he ever once make mention of his lucrative silver mine deeds, a personal blacksmith, or any sort of supply train. Yet, your vagabond always had just enough silver bullets to fight off the bandits or whatever.

Oh yeah, somehow... in there his horse also eats silver instead of horse food... Well, its clearly not a perfect analogy.
Ah... that explains why the Lone Ranger called him that.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 04:22 AM   #308
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post

I think all Starfleet ships can seperate in an emergency, its the Ent-D's ability to reconnect afterwards that was seen as so revolutionary
Old January 20 2012, 04:51 AM   #309
exodus
Fleet Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Still given the size of replicators we've seen in Trek. Voyager must have been carrying an industrial replicator (which seemed to be somewhat not readily availble according to DSN).

After all I don't think a standard replicator could replicate hull plates, torpedeo casings etc...
Aren't the replicator tied into the transporters?
Can't they just land the ship and beam the hull plating from the replicator to the crew waiting outside the ship to put it into place?
Isn't that what they were doing in "Nightingale" when they showed them re-placing the warp coils?
Old January 20 2012, 04:58 AM   #310
exodus
Fleet Admiral

No
CaptainMatt wrote: View Post

No, Voyager's big feature is planetary landing.

Remember in "Dragon's Teeth" they landed the ship to avoid enemies because their ships aren't designed to enter the environment.
Old January 20 2012, 05:42 AM   #311
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Voyager doesn't have to separate.

On the Galaxy Class, the separation seemed about two things, running away from a warp core breach or sending the civilians off to safety.

Voyager has no civilians, and it can eject it's warp core.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 10:38 AM   #312
The_Baron
Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I've done a little bit of writting myslef (for PBEMs)
Just interested, never stumbled across the Blue Dwarf PBEM by any chance?
The_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 02:58 PM   #313
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

WarpCore wrote: View Post
TNG says a ship can replace its antimatter.

Liaisons
WORF: The Engineering sections encompass twelve decks of the secondary hull. Deck forty two contains the antimatter storage facility.
BYLETH: What is the mass flow rate of the antimatter replenishment stream to the containment pods?
WORF: Excuse me?
BYLETH: The antimatter replenishment rate. What is it?
WORF: I am not certain of the exact rate.
BYLETH: Perhaps there is someone here who does know the answer. You. Are you smarter than this one?
LAFORGE: Why do you ask?
BYLETH: Never mind.
BYLETH: I wish to see the Bussard collectors. Take me to them.
WORF: This way.

But TNG also had its issues with lines about antimatter.

Coming Of Age
COMPUTER: Last question on the hyperspace physics test. If the matter and antimatter tanks on a Galaxy class starship are nine tenths depleted, calculate the intermix ratio necessary to reach a starbase a hundred light years away at warp factor eight. Begin.
(Wesley is straight in with 1:1. Oliana runs out of time)
COMPUTER: Time elapsed. You now have one hour free before the next test.
MORDOCK: I must admit, Wesley, you have a very fast mind.
WESLEY: Once as I realised it was a trick question, there was only one answer.
MORDOCK: Yes, there is only one ratio with matter antimatter. One to one.

Skin of Evil
LYNCH: Forget the final check. Initiate start-up sequence.
COMPUTER: Beginning check list.
LYNCH: Override. We are going directly to start-up.
COMPUTER: That procedure is not recommended.
LYNCH: Understood. Now. Prime matter-antimatter injectors. Set ratio at twenty-five to one.

Booby Trap
RIKER [OC] We need warp power now!
LAFORGE: Matter-anti matter mixture ratio settings at optimum balance Reaction sequence corresponding to specified norms. Magnetic plasma transfer to warp field generators per programmed specs. Commander, we should be going like a bat out of hell.

Galaxy's Child
LEAH: The matter-antimatter ratio has been changed. The mixture isn't as rich as regulations dictate.
LAFORGE: Experience has shown me that too high a ratio diminishes efficiency. I worked with the mixture until I got the right balance.

Chain of Command, Part 2
JELLICO: All right. Worf, prepare a series of five hundred antimatter mines with magnetic targeting capabilities.
WORF: Aye, sir.

If they'd brought Worf to the DQ, they wouldn't have had much problem replacing a thousand torpedoes per day. Tuvok should be roughly as competent. He just didn't want to be disrespectful to the captain and say "I'll show you 'we have no way to replace them.'" out loud. TNG also shows Welsey playing with antimatter efficiency and replacement for school projects. After that, it's safe to assume it's readily abundant for all sorts of ideas once you locate a supply of it to farm or mine.

It's also safe to assume
When situation is normal: You can create a matter-antimatter warhead.
When your ship is being digested by a huge organism and your energy reserves are depleted: You cannot create a matter-antimatter warhead.
Actually, the ratio mentioned in the majority of your quotes is the ratio at which matter and antimatterenter the reaction chamber to be converted into plasma.

Not the ratio at which any ship can convert matter into antimatter.
Old January 20 2012, 03:08 PM   #314
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Right. The point is they were in the Delta Quadrant. To use your example: There wasn't a friendly town in which they could trade for bullets (or gasoline...).
This isn't Mad Max, we already know from all the other Trek shows just how loaded with advanced sentient life the Trekverse is. There were inhabited worlds and friendly advanced civilizations they ran by all the time.

Even in Farscape they mentioned that there were lots of Commerce planets they went to (off-screen), and they were wanted criminals being hunted by the major powers of the area! No reason why Voyager would have such a harder time of it especially when the tough guys on the block WEREN'T chasing them as criminals.
No, they ran by neutral advanced civilizations all the time.

Well, theres the matter that in Farscape most of the people involved knew where to find such Commerce planets. That isn't the case in Voyager. Also the impression I got was that by and large, most Delta quadrant races were behind Starfleet in the technology level scale. Many didn't even have warp drive. And furthermore, we're not talking about trading for blankets here. We're talking anti-matter. It would probably be treated as a strickly controled substance in the best of situations- particularly in the amounts they're talking about.

Last edited by Satyrquaze; January 20 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Satyrquaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 03:20 PM   #315
WarpCore
Lieutenant

Actually, the ratio mentioned in the majority of your quotes is the ratio at which matter and antimatterenter the reaction chamber to be converted into plasma.

Not the ratio at which any ship can convert matter into antimatter.
Right. I was pointing out a minor discontinuity in TNG that as far as I know no one throws up much of a fuss over. Simple first season one-liner in both cases. I guess more people notice or care because it was a Captain talking.
WarpCore is offline   Reply With Quote