Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 27 2010, 01:16 PM   #16
SFRabid
Commodore

Re: My Trek Rankings By Season

Voyager would be the hardest for me to rank. Nothing stands out about any season. Sort of a "villian of the year" series that all mixes together. All the seasons would group in that narrow band of "didn't love but didn't hate".
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 05:02 PM   #17
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Luther Sloan wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's how I first originally watched the majority of them before I started purchasing them. So to answer your question... yes. Netflix has the Remastered Version of Star Trek. In fact, I do believe it is the only version they have that I am aware of. You can confirm this in the Member Reviews section for each of the TOS DVD Seasons. Also, I think you will enjoy the enhanced special effects. They use CGI for a lot of the exterior shots of the starships, the planets, phaser fire, and strange alien phenomenon. Sometimes they will do CGI shots of a futuristic city in the background on a planet, too. They also cleaned up the picture's color / quality and the sound. They even re-scored the main theme song with a new identical voice artist in order to record it in true 5.1 digital surround sound.

I haven't seen the entire series since sometime around the early 80's. It was quite a shock to try and watch when I tried most recently, especially after watching the four modern series. I'll try and keep your tricks in mind when I do watch it (I chuckled at the "futuristic version of the 1960's"- that's good). I really do think I'm going to really enjoy it this time around.
Ha, ha, ha... I am glad that you found my reference to TOS as being futuristic version of the 1960's humorous. Whatever works for you in sticking with it, I know it will be well worth your time, my friend. Oh, and like you: I watched Star Trek: The Original Series in the early 80's, as well. I was a little kid then and had truly fond memories in watching them. However, years later I couldn't get into it after becoming a TNG fan, though. However, as you know, that has all changed now and I have come full circle in loving TOS again.
I watched the non-remastered versions and never had any problems with them. I don't expect 21st century effects and makeup from a 1960s show, and we're all well used to using the suspense of disbelief, so that's not really the problem. I pay more attention to the stories and characters, writing and acting. I was quite impressed with most of season 1, despite a few clunkers here and there, but the problems I had with the show were never the effects - it was the occasional sexism, and some things that weren't that prominent or noticeable in season 1, but got more and more jarring as the show went on: the reliance on cliches, especially the scenes where everyone laughs at the bridge at the end of the episode that got overused and old after a while, lighthearted moments that felt incongruous after redshirts deaths or destruction of entire planets... The main characters were great but stagnant, and maybe it was a blessing in disguise that the show was cancelled, and Trek could continue in the movies where the characters could get some development.

However, if your still not sure about TOS and you want to start off with a bang with the Original Series, I would watch the following episodes (below) out of the 2nd Season to start....

Doomsday Machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivO7K2zYII

Mirror, Mirror: (The First Mirror Universe Episode)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHwvZ6HmQQI

The Trouble With Tribbles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utsDOD8FDk
I'm not sure if Mirror, Mirror is to best way to get acquainted with the show, it makes for better viewing after we've already know the normal versions of characters well. I would recommend a few other episodes before you come to Mirror, Mirror - a few from season 1 could work well , too (the order is not important):
Where No Man Has Gone Before
Balance of Terror
The Cage/The Menagerie (choose which you'll watch - I think that The Cage is better, and I watched it first and really loved it, but it is the aborted pilot and doesn't feature any of the regular characters of TOS except for Spock, who is very different at this point; The Menagerie is good in its own right and manages to incorporate The Cage in it, though the framing story is a bit too far-fetched)
The Naked Time (best viewed after you've seen a few other episodes and gotten to know the characters somewhat, as it shows them acting 'abnormally' and revealing their hidden sides)
The Enemy Within (great episode, apart from a horribly sexist line at the end)
City on the Edge of Forever
The Galileo Seven
Devil in the Dark
This Side of Paradise (watch it after you've gotten acquainted with the characters, as they're again not quite being themselves)
Space Seed
Errand Of Mercy

From season 2, apart from The Doomsday Machine, The Trouble with Tribbles and Mirror Mirror, you also have to see Amok Time and Journey to Babel.

Season 3 has quite a few lame episodes, but also a few excellent ones, like The Tholian Web, Is There In Truth No Beauty?, The Enterprise Incident, Day of the Dove...

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 08:31 PM   #18
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

If I did the season rankings I have the right to do, of the ones I've seen in their entirety, (or just majority of episodes, because otherwise its just ranking DS9 and early Voyager), it comes out like this:

1. DS9 Season 5 (Nor the Battle to the Strong)
2. DS9 Season 6
3. DS9 Season 3
4. DS9 Season 7
5. TNG Season 5
6. DS9 Season 4
7. VOY Season 5
8. VOY Season 4
9. DS9 Season 2
10. VOY Season 1
11. DS9 Season 1
12. VOY Season 2
100. TNG Season 1

Your list may inspire me to get off my backside and watch Enterprise, or it may not.
Old April 27 2010, 10:20 PM   #19
Luther Sloan
Captain

DE:

I recommended TOS's "Doomsday Machine", "Mirror Mirror", and "Trouble with Tribbles" as a starting point because I know he is a guy who more than likely enjoys guy like things like hot girls in mini skirts, explosions, cool special effects, and the like. Of course I don't want to speak for you Joeman.

However, I just know that if I went back in time and wanted to convince myself that TOS was awesome. I would show myself these Remastered episodes to start.

Now, if I knew my past self was committed to watching the entire series no matter what: Then I would have myself watch it chronologically like this then...

Original Series Chronological Viewing Order

TOS - The Cage (TOS - Season 3 Disc 7) (Not the extended episode) *
TOS - Where No Man Has Gone Before (Season 1 Disc 1)
TOS - The Man Trap
TOS - Charlie X
TOS - The Naked Time
TOS - The Enemy Within
TOS - Mudd’s Women
TOS - What Are Little Girls Made Of?
TOS - Miri
TOS - Dagger Of The Mind
TOS - The Corbomite Maneuver
TOS - The Menagerie, Part 1
TOS - The Menagerie, Part 2
TOS - The Conscience Of The King
TOS - Balance Of Terror
TOS - Shore Leave
TOS - The Galileo Seven
TOS - The Squire Of Gothos
TOS - Arena
TOS - Tomorrow Is Yesterday
TOS - Court Martial
TOS - The Return Of The Archons
TOS - Space Seed
TOS - A Taste Of Armageddon
TOS - This Side Of Paradise
TOS - The Devil In The Dark
TOS - Errand Of Mercy
TOS - The Alternative Factor
TOS - The City On The Edge Of Forever
TOS - Operation: Annihilate
TOS - Amok Time
TOS - Who Mourns For Adonais?
TOS - The Changeling
TOS - Mirror, Mirror
TOS - The Apple
TOS - The Doomsday Machine
TOS - Cat’s Paw
TOS - I, Mudd
TOS - Metamorphosis
TOS - Journey To Babel
TOS - Friday’s Child
TOS - The Deadly Years
TOS - Obsession
TOS - Wolf In The Fold
TOS - The Trouble With Tribbles
DS9 - Trials and Tribble-ations (Deep Space Nine Season 5 Disc 2)
TOS - The Gamesters Of Triskelion
TOS - A Piece Of The Action
TOS - The Immunity Syndrome
TOS - A Private Little War
TOS - Return To Tomorrow
TOS - Pattern Of Force
TOS - By Any Other Name
TOS - The Omega Glory
TOS - The Ultimate Computer
TOS - Bread And Circuses
TOS - Assignment: Earth
TOS - Spock’s Brain
TOS - The Enterprise Incident
TOS - The Paradise Syndrome
TOS - And The Children Shall Lead
TOS - Is There In Truth No Beauty?
TOS - Spectre Of The Gun
TOS - Day Of The Dove
TOS - For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky
TOS - The Tholian Web
ENT - In A Mirror Darkly, Part 1 (Enterprise Season 4 Disc 5)
ENT - In A Mirror Darkly, Part 2 (Enterprise Season 4 Disc 5)
TOS - Plato’s Stepchildren
TOS - Wink Of An Eye
TOS - The Empath
TOS - Elaan Of Troyius
TOS - Whom Gods Detroy
TOS - Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
TOS - The Mark Of Gideon
TOS - That Which Survives
TOS - The Lights Of Zetar
TOS - Requiem For Methuselah
TOS - The Way To Eden
TOS - The Cloud Minders
TOS - The Savage Curtain
TOS - All Our Yesterdays
TOS - Turnabout Intruder

TAS - The Magicks of Megas-Tu
TAS - The Practical Joker
TAS - The Slaver Weapon
TAS - Mudd's Passion
TAS - The Survivor
TAS - Beyond the Farthest Star
TAS - The Time Trap
TAS - Albatross
TAS - One of Our Planets Is Missing
TAS - Yesteryear
TAS - More Tribbles, More Troubles
TAS - The Lorelei Signal
TAS - The Ambergris Element
TAS - The Eye of the Beholder
TAS - The Infinite Vulcan
TAS - The Terratin Incident
TAS - Once Upon a Planet
TAS - The Jihad
TAS - How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth
TAS - The Pirates of Orion
TAS - The Counter-Clock Incident
TAS - Bem

MOV - The Motion Picture
MOV - The Wrath Of Khan
MOV - The Search For Spock
MOV - The Voyage Home
MOV - The Final Frontier
MOV - The Undiscovered Country

Alternate Time Line:

MOV - Star Trek (2009)

Side Note:

~Of course TAS (The Animated series) can be skipped over if it is hard to get into it. Also, the Animated episodes are listed by stardate and not by airdate. So you will have to watch it according to this list and not the way that it presented within the DVD Complete Set.

Side Note 2:

* In addition, I recommend watching the Remastered Version of the original unaired pilot episode titled "The Cage" instead of the extended version. The extended episode of "The Cage" has black and white shots (or footage) mixed with color shots. it is a bit uneven or unnatural to watch the episode that way for the first time. Also, one will have to rent or buy the 3rd Season of the Remastered TOS in order to view "The Cage" first, too (Original Series Season 3 Disc 7).

Last edited by Luther Sloan; April 27 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Luther Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 10:44 PM   #20
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

The only show I feel confident in ranking by season is DS9. Mine goes: 5, 3, 7, 6, 4, 2, 1
Old April 27 2010, 11:17 PM   #21
Flake
Commodore

Best to worst:

TOS: 1,2,3 - Season 1 and 2 considered a tie, 3 way down. We all know the reasons.
TNG: 3,4,6,5,7,2,1 - Again, 3 and 4 is the pinnicle imho. 5 not as good as 6.
DSN: 5,6,4,3,7,2,1 - Felt 'off' to me in Season 7. Prophets/Pagh Wraiths/Dukat didn't work.
VOY: 4,5,3,2,1,6,7 - Lost interest in the series half way through Season 6, can't remember most of 7.
ENT: 3,4,2,1 - Not on the same level as TNG & DS9 but on a par with Voyager.

Movies: 2,11,8,3,6,1,4,7,9,10,5
Movie Trailers!: 11,6,10,8,2,3,7,9,1,5 (Main Theatrical trailer)

Series: TNG, DS9, TOS, VOY, ENT
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 03:12 AM   #22
Luther Sloan
Captain

Joeman wrote: View Post
That's a relief, and good info to have. I'll feel better going into it. I really had no idea they did all that.
Joeman:

Yeah, I think it will make a difference in watching the Remastered Versions.

Well while I was too young to appreciate the original run (I'm 46), I did see the whole series for the first time in the early 70's. I was a kid and actually more interested in Saturday morning fare than Trek, but I still recall liking it.
That's a good sign that you recall enjoying it when you were younger.

The last time I saw the show in the early 80's, it came on Sunday nights. Myself and a few friends would get together in a bit of a ritual fashion every week, put a buzz on, and watch Trek. It was great, and we thought it was just about the coolest thing ever. I want to be able to enjoy it again kind of like how I did then (probably minus that old fashioned buzz most of the time though). I want to make that "full circle".
Awesome. Well, I think you will definitely enjoy it then.

Thank you for the links, but get this, I'm on dial-up! Yep, you read correctly. I still have friends that send me YouTube links all the time, and I can't remind them enough times to make them remember that I can't watch it. It would be impossible for most people these days to deal with a 28.8 bps connection, but I'm pretty used to it.
Sorry about that. Well, I will provide you with images then, my friend...

Anyway, thanks again to all for the comments and the input.
Your more than welcome.

Luther Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 12:12 PM   #23
Kai Winn
Captain

joeman published a most peculiar ranking here, just a few samples: 'what you leave behind' earned his full admiration, while 'death wish' seems to be something not worth bothering with. now what has this extremely smart and funny voyager episode done to earn this sort of contempt? what on the other hand makes 'what you leave behind' one of the best? it feels like the failed attempt to tell a whole season in the space of a double episode, everything is rushed, incomplete, full with continuity errors, and the 'burn the book of evil to conquer evil' subplot probably penned by the brothers grimm. it's not even a contender for 'endgame', which had a couple of issues as well, but was at least a credible finale.
Old April 28 2010, 12:29 PM   #24
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

I can't really rank Trek by seasons, because if I happen to be in a Trek mood (when I have the time to watch episodes) I would watch whatever episode (or episodes) I'm in the mood for.

I can watch 'Code of Honor' followed by 'In a Mirror Darkly'....with 'Mirror, Mirror'....and topping it off with 'Sacrifice of Angels.'
Old April 28 2010, 06:23 PM   #25
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Eh I've done ratings for this by EPISODE before but to my dismay I haven't saved ALL of the posts I made..so I'm winging it a little:

I'm going to go by season-ratings 1-10:

TOS1:9.55
TOS2:9.40
TOS3:7.30

TAS1:7.90
TAS2:7.70

STNG1:8.25
STNG2:8.10
STNG3:9.50
STNG4:9.55
STNG5:9.40
STNG6:9.50
STNG7:9.10

DS91:8.60
DS92:8.40
DS93:9.00
DS94:9.45
DS95:9.30
DS96:9.45
DS97:9.10

STVOY1:8.15
STVOY2:7.50
STVOY3:8.45
STVOY4:9.10
STVOY5:9.00
STVOY6:9.05
STVOY7:8.90

ENT1:8.40
ENT2:8.60
ENT3:9.10
ENT4:9.30

Best seasons: TOS 1, STNG 4. Worst: TOS 3, STVOY 2

Last edited by RAMA; April 28 2010 at 06:42 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 10:39 PM   #26
Joeman
Captain

Kai Winn wrote: View Post
joeman published a most peculiar ranking here, just a few samples: 'what you leave behind' earned his full admiration, while 'death wish' seems to be something not worth bothering with. now what has this extremely smart and funny voyager episode done to earn this sort of contempt? what on the other hand makes 'what you leave behind' one of the best? it feels like the failed attempt to tell a whole season in the space of a double episode, everything is rushed, incomplete, full with continuity errors, and the 'burn the book of evil to conquer evil' subplot probably penned by the brothers grimm. it's not even a contender for 'endgame', which had a couple of issues as well, but was at least a credible finale.
Perhaps my Death Wish rating seems a little low, and I can understand that. I think the thing I could not get past was how no one bothered to ask Q or Q2 if they would please send them back home. Especially Q2. After all Janeway did for him, it seems it wouldn't have hurt to ask. Of course, I wouldn't want it to happen at that point, as the series would be over, but it would seem natural to at least ask! That just bugged me to the point of disliking the episode, as silly as that may seem.

As far as the DS9 finale, not only did I think it was a great ending, I thought it was one of the best endings ever on a TV show. It tied up so many loose ends that there were at least a dozen points in the episode that I thought could have been a legitimate ending. I just found it completely satisfying. As I've said before, and it could be a major fault of mine, but I really don't pay much attention to "continuity.

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
I can't really rank Trek by seasons, because if I happen to be in a Trek mood (when I have the time to watch episodes) I would watch whatever episode (or episodes) I'm in the mood for.
Mood is definitely a factor. I did try and watch most episodes twice, and average the two scores (and most often, they were indeed different scores).

I find I really can't pick and choose episodes to watch. I start from the beginning and watch the entire series. I guess it's a bit obsessive compulsive.

Over the years, before I found this board, I Googled various people's Trek lists, this one being my favorite: http://www.trekmania.net/conference/...sodes50-48.htm

What I wouldn't give to be able to put together something that cool. Great episode commentary with screenshots, quotes, audio clips, and other episode info. My hat is off to whoever put that together!

Thanks again for all the feedback and comments (negative or positive). I really do enjoy reading others comments and ratings more than I do posting my own.
Old April 29 2010, 12:08 AM   #27
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Kai Winn wrote: View Post
Perhaps my Death Wish rating seems a little low, and I can understand that. I think the thing I could not get past was how no one bothered to ask Q or Q2 if they would please send them back home. Especially Q2. After all Janeway did for him, it seems it wouldn't have hurt to ask. Of course, I wouldn't want it to happen at that point, as the series would be over, but it would seem natural to at least ask! That just bugged me to the point of disliking the episode, as silly as that may seem.

As far as the DS9 finale, not only did I think it was a great ending, I thought it was one of the best endings ever on a TV show. It tied up so many loose ends that there were at least a dozen points in the episode that I thought could have been a legitimate ending. I just found it completely satisfying. As I've said before, and it could be a major fault of mine, but I really don't pay much attention to "continuity.

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Mood is definitely a factor. I did try and watch most episodes twice, and average the two scores (and most often, they were indeed different scores).

I find I really can't pick and choose episodes to watch. I start from the beginning and watch the entire series. I guess it's a bit obsessive compulsive.

Over the years, before I found this board, I Googled various people's Trek lists, this one being my favorite: http://www.trekmania.net/conference/...sodes50-48.htm

What I wouldn't give to be able to put together something that cool. Great episode commentary with screenshots, quotes, audio clips, and other episode info. My hat is off to whoever put that together!

Thanks again for all the feedback and comments (negative or positive). I really do enjoy reading others comments and ratings more than I do posting my own.

I like the format of the site too, though I don't really agree with the order of the 50 episodes.

RAMA
Old April 29 2010, 01:38 AM   #28
Joeman
Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post

What I wouldn't give to be able to put together something that cool. Great episode commentary with screenshots, quotes, audio clips, and other episode info. My hat is off to whoever put that together! .
I like the format of the site too, though I don't really agree with the order of the 50 episodes.

RAMA
Yeah me neither completely, but everyone has their own Trek opinions. Still, very well done, and a lot of fun to read through. The only thing that would make it better is if Enterprise was included.