TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 10 2012, 02:01 AM   #571
chronografer
Ensign

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

I see blssdwlf will scan it. Here is a link to my scan of the page-just as a backup. I slightly descreened it, sharpened it, and enhanced the contrast.

http://richkurz.com/posts/CorridorArch.jpg

+RK
chronografer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 07:51 PM   #572
blssdwlf
Commodore

@chronografer - thanks for your scan. I scanned in my copy but only descreened it and left the contrast and sharpness alone.

The mysterious straight corridor from "Where No Man Has Gone Before":
Page 11 from "The Making of Star Trek". 1968. Copyright Stephen E Whitfield

Hey I just noticed something. I seem to have more "left of the photo" and you have more "right of the photo". My page cuts of the A frame while yours shows it in its entirety. Mine you can see the "Environment Engineering Personnel" sign but yours is cutoff.

Mind if I ask what edition print you have? My copy is the 22nd print from 1986.

Last edited by blssdwlf; November 10 2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: different photos?
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 09:28 PM   #573
blssdwlf
Commodore

I just noticed on Page 178 and 179 there are scale drawings of the shuttlebay. For grins I measured it out. The cross-section is 90' wide. The elevator is about 75' in from the lip of the flight deck (end). Overlay that on a model of the Enterprise and scale it up and you get a ship that is...

387m or 1,269'

Just an FYI
Old November 11 2012, 09:46 AM   #574
Robert Comsol
Commodore

@chronografer

Just in case it may be of help for your orientation I tried to do a thread summary / index on page 35

@blssdwlf

My copy of the Making of does have the A-frame untrimmed (21st US printing from 1979). Maybe both photo pages can be combined to create a wider one.

As for original photographs of the pilot sets I already did some search. A gentleman going by the name of "Great Bird of the Galaxy" has a fascinating collection of original negatives (!!!) but none from the pilot sets.

Trekcore does have a rare shot of Pike's cabin, though: http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...unter_pike.jpg

It almost seems that for "The Cage" they only had a corridor ending in the circular briefing room / lounge set. The corridor outside the transporter room (I missed that one, thanx) in the later transporter room scene in "The Cage" could be the opposite end of this corridor (did Jeffrey Hunter really walk into his cabin set or actually the transporter room one?).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 07:31 PM   #575
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

I think Pike’s quarters set was opposite the transporter set?
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 12:17 AM   #576
Robert Comsol
Commodore

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
"I think Pike’s quarters set was opposite the transporter set?"
Looks like you're right.

Here is the shot with Pike's cabin to the left and the circular briefing room / lounge in the background: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...cagehd0141.jpg

Here is the shot with the transporter room to the right, the doors to the briefing room could simply be closed: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...cagehd1637.jpg

Bob
Old November 12 2012, 12:24 AM   #577
Mytran
Fleet Captain

I can't believe I missed that WNMHGB corridor photo in the book! Testament to what a fresh pair of eyes can deliver.

The bottom photo seems to strongly suggest a triangular intersection, anyone else think this might be the case?
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 06:53 AM   #578
blssdwlf
Commodore

I think so. Or at least a "fork" in the corridor leading left/right.
Old November 12 2012, 03:21 PM   #579
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Mytran wrote: View Post
"I can't believe I missed that WNMHGB corridor photo in the book! Testament to what a fresh pair of eyes can deliver."
No need to be hard on yourself. I watched it and thought "What the ...?!" A few days later I watched the alternate edit of WNMHGB and still didn't see the connection.

"The bottom photo seems to strongly suggest a triangular intersection, anyone else think this might be the case?"
I think it's just a fork to the left or right. If it were a triangular section, the strange ladder Lt. Leslie ascends on (his first screen appearance in the alternate edit. In the original version we don't see it's him but the extended shot in the alternate edit provides this little piece of trivia) would somehow be in the way. To me it rather looks they kept this space open for better camera positions or simply ran out of budget.

Now, behind which door of this corridor is sickbay?

Bob
Old November 13 2012, 12:08 AM   #580
Mytran
Fleet Captain

From what I can tell, sickbay is located on the short straight corridor that Kirk and Spock walk down after leaving the Transporter Room. It's the one on the right of the screen:

See how deeply that door is inset? It matches the entrance which we see briefly later on:

You can also see some hallway details which might match a triangular inersection. Some more are seen later on:

Putting the sickbay set there might seem a bit of a squeeze, but we only ever see the "ward" area during WNHGB. The bit which would become McCoy's examination room during s1 hadn't been built yet.

(As always, click on pics for larger res.)

Old November 13 2012, 06:00 AM   #581
chronografer
Ensign

Wow- I take a weekend away from the web and look at all the messages!

I checked my TMOST and it is a first edition: September 1968. As soon as a friend told me it was on the bookshelf, I biked on down to the local shopping center and spent my hard-earned allowance on it. Boy, was I jazzed!

I did a Huginized + Photoshop correction to the hanger deck drawings last year. I am posting it to my website folder as well:

www.richkurz.com/posts/SquaredSheets3-4.gif

What I found interesting is the the forward bulkhead width pretty well equalled the depth from the forward bulkhead to the hangar door bulkhead.
+RK
Old November 14 2012, 10:26 AM   #582
Robert Comsol
Commodore

"From what I can tell, sickbay is located on the short straight corridor that Kirk and Spock walk down after leaving the Transporter Room."
I believe you're right. The AG unit we see overhead behind Kelso appears to be the one connecting the wall with the "Environmental" ladder shaft with another (not seen in episode).

It's even more obvious in the shots with Dr. Piper leaving and Kirk entering. In the background you can clearly see the panel next to this room where Kirk and Spock disappear and Yeoman Doe exits in the alternate edit (turbolift or stairway) and illustrated in one of these two photos from The Making of Star Trek.

Bob
Old November 15 2012, 05:59 AM   #583
chronografer
Ensign

Pardon me for going tangential, but the moment I have waited for since Sept.8, 1966 happened just one hour ago - IT CAME! The new 1/350 scale Polar Lights TOS E!
And it was worth the wait. You might say it is worth its wait in gold.

Okay. I am under control. Now back to the thread.
+RK
Old November 15 2012, 06:02 AM   #584
chronografer
Ensign

Say, Mytran- how do you post a thumbnail and have it linked to a hi-rez image?
+RK
Old November 15 2012, 10:05 AM   #585
Mytran
Fleet Captain

As simply as possible:

1. Go to Trekcore
2. View the thumbnail's http address (rightclick+properties), copy and use it to insert a picture in TrekBBS
3. Back at Trekcore, click on the thumbnail to open up the hi-res image, copy the HTTP and use it to insert a hyperlink on the picture in TrekBBS.

Hope that helps! So to slightly de-rail the thread.