IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 13 2011, 05:24 PM   #316
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

NO!

There will be no peace in our time! I like the bickering over the placement of the turbolift and viewscreen!
Old May 13 2011, 08:26 PM   #317
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Interesting work, but I have to say...

You are intelligent but not experienced. Your tactics indicate two-dimensional thinking.

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Thanks Warped9.

Purely an experiment that spilled over from the "Self Illuminating Enterprise" thread

And another interim graphic from another thread... The Battle of L-374 from "The Doomsday Machine":

Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 04:29 AM   #318
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

For the detail-oriented observers of TOS...

Did anyone notice this odd scene in "By Any Other Name" where the bridge main viewer doesn't appear in front of the helm station?

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...namehd0858.jpg

Or in a few episodes, the helm station doesn't always align with the viewer? It's happened in a few different episodes so it isn't an isolated incident

Just throwing this out here... Could it be theorized that the helm/captain's section is on a swivel platform?
This was discussed in the Fan Production Forum sometime in the last year or so. The member with the screen name GSchnitzer (Greg) is involved with the Star Trek Phase 2 (formerly Star Trek New Voyages) fan production. He said that the helm/nav section was rotated away from the main view screen because it would have been too time consuming and too expensive to show the effect of Chekov being transformed into the dodecahedron cube with star field effect on the main viewer. I suggested instead of rotating the helm/nav section away from the main viewer, just turn off the main viewer before Chekov is transformed into the cube (by having Kirk or Rojan ordering it off).

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 04:35 AM   #319
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Even if the platform rotates, it won't solve the problem of the turbolift. Because the turbolift will still fail to line up with the nub, or the viewscreen won't face dead forward if the turbolift is rotated into the nub. Either way, the war continues.
Old May 14 2011, 06:56 AM   #320
blssdwlf
Commodore

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Interesting work, but I have to say...

You are intelligent but not experienced. Your tactics indicate two-dimensional thinking.
LOL

One of these days I'll do a 3D version of the map. This revised version with a side view will have to do for now

blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:00 AM   #321
blssdwlf
Commodore

@All who replied to the bridge oddity - I wasn't trying to solve the facing of the bridge but seeing if the occasional lack of helm console alignment to the main viewer could be a "feature". Haven't even got to a point where I can build the bridge out and fit it to the hull yet

As to the rotation in "By Any Other Name"... anyone want to take a guess at where the helm was rotated to based on the panel/wall configuration?
Old May 14 2011, 08:30 PM   #322
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

@All who replied to the bridge oddity - I wasn't trying to solve the facing of the bridge but seeing if the occasional lack of helm console alignment to the main viewer could be a "feature". Haven't even got to a point where I can build the bridge out and fit it to the hull yet
Have you checked out my thread? You're welcome to refer to it if that might help...

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=89810

Regarding the bridge structure itself... the only "fixed" element in the bridge configuration must be the lift location. Every other element is simply a "computer workstation" (and yes, I'm including the main viewer in there!) and can be arranged in any way desired. Obviously, you can't rearrange the bridge "on the fly" and would need to be shut down when moving elements around, but the only "stake in the ground" is the lift, and the overall shape of the bridge dome (which could be swapped out, obviously).

I've always assumed that the "stock" Constitution bridge, as originally designed, had the the conn, the main viewer, and the lift all in-line along the centerline (only the lift "must" be on the centerline).

But have you noticed how disturbing it is when someone walks into a room immediately behind you, where you can't see them, even through the corner of your eye? So, my guess is that a number of commanders chose to have the various computer stations (including the viewer) powered down, disconnected, and "swapped around" to give them a similar layout, but allowing them to see who comes into the bridge through the corner of their eye without having to turn around and take their eye off of whatever is on the main screen or the astrogator or so forth.

When the major uprating was done (for TMP), this was addressed, and the original concept (conn and main viewer on centerline) was restored, but the lift tubes in the primary hull were entirely rebuilt so that there were two stations, one on either side.

The configuration we saw in TOS was clearly the case on three starships... the Enterprise, the Lexington, and the Exeter. It might well be that all of them were altered in this same way, or it may have only been those three. I doubt very much that the Intrepid's captain would have felt that same level of "unease" that a human captain would feel in that situation, for example.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 11:12 PM   #323
Mytran
Fleet Captain

As to the rotation in "By Any Other Name"... anyone want to take a guess at where the helm was rotated to based on the panel/wall configuration?
The large blank wall to the right of Chekov pretty much nails the position to the final two consoles left of the main viewscreen (as you face it). The usual lables on these consoles are "Enviromental Station" and "Engineering Sub-Systems Monitor)".
By the book, anyway...

Cary - good to see you again, BTW
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 04:09 AM   #324
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Navigator NCC2120 - thanks for the behind the scenes explanation. Interestingly, your explanation would've been okay. There is a scene from "The Enemy Within" where we clearly see the main viewer "off". I never noticed it until now while looking for reference shots

@Herkimer Jitty - I hear ya. I'm on the sidelines of whether the nub is the turbolift or is the the top of the shaft and the turbolift merely slides to the side when it reaches the bridge. I just thought it was interesting that the helm station doesn't always aim at the main viewer

@Cary L Brown - Thanks for the link to your thread. Mytran had pointed it out to me very early on in another thread (about the hangar/flight deck) It's good to see you posting back here at the board.

@Mytran - Ahh that makes sense! Hmm... of course they had to edit it in a way that there are crewmen there but not in the Chekov scene
Old June 1 2011, 10:06 PM   #325
blssdwlf
Commodore

Need some help Can anyone confirm or provide the dimensions of these specific props used in TOS?

TOS Microtapes - from Enterprise: Defiant = 3 X 2.25 X 0.25 inches. However, I'd like confirm the dimensions (if possible) from the actual TOS props unless there was evidence that the Enterprise: Defiant versions are identical to the original TOS ones.

Engineering Console (like the one behind Kirk and below the board) (the one that is at the entry foyer to the engine room and also used in several other scenes like the Phaser Control Room, etc) = H x W x D ?

Communication Panel (the grey part) = H x W x D ?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Old June 2 2011, 01:24 AM   #326
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

One of the auctions listed a screen used TOS microtape as being 3 x 2.50 (thickness not specified), hope that helps?
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 06:34 AM   #327
blssdwlf
Commodore

Thanks TIN_MAN 3" wide then would seem consistent so I can derive the sizes in this close-up:

Old June 2 2011, 02:07 PM   #328
markyd
Cadet

Wow, that looks fantastic.
markyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 04:26 PM   #329
blssdwlf
Commodore

Pulled out a rough mock-up of what the end nacelles might look like when "transforming" between flat and sphere ends. The "raised panel" would be the middle section of the flat end extending/retracting. The grill pattern would be panels that could slide in (slightly) and change color/recede into shadow.

Old July 4 2011, 08:59 PM   #330
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Aha, another Trek mystery solved! Nice one
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote