Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 18 2010, 03:12 PM   #16
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

^Um...they're like the links posted above?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 05:12 PM   #17
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Maybe the people responsible only heard the word blu. In any event the new version looks like Enterprise is leaving the moon. I can see Paramount's official response already:

Oops.
We'll fix that right up and have it on the shelves by Christmas.
Old April 19 2010, 04:14 PM   #18
22 Stars
Commodore

Well the rest of the film looks great, the live action stuff looks very sharp, and the shift toward the cooler white balance isn't that upsetting, some might even like it. But these FX shots just look like crap, and it's a shame.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2010, 09:19 PM   #19
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Which ones? I like the FXs of TWOK. I think they holdup quite well..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2010, 03:49 PM   #20
22 Stars
Commodore

Rob, sorry i wasn't talking about the FX themselves, but the bluray transfer of them that I showed earlier.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 11:37 PM   #21
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Gagarin wrote: View Post
Wow they really fucked that up!
Are the phasers blue now, too?
No, but Shatner's toupee is.
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 05:54 PM   #22
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Well the rest of the film looks great, the live action stuff looks very sharp, and the shift toward the cooler white balance isn't that upsetting, some might even like it. But these FX shots just look like crap, and it's a shame.
Agreed. I had to put in the blu-ray to see if it was true, and you're right. I had never noticed it! I mean, I can still easily enjoy the movie, but I was surprised to find that whole section went unnoticed by me. The rest of the film does look terrific, so I can let this slide because I just enjoy the whole movie. Well, that, and I gave away my DVDs a long time ago.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 01:05 PM   #23
Arlo
Fleet Captain

Some comparison shots here:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...gy_blu-ray.htm

I can't speak to the fx shots, but the live action screenshots show a much more realistic and pleasing color palette to my eye. Look at Spock's jacket, for example, in the Engineering shot. The blu ray reveals the accurate slightly marroon shade of the uniforms. By comparison, the DVD looks like a tv with the color cranked up. And the bridge shot, the bridge walls are restored to a proper neutral grey balanceas well.
Old October 6 2010, 12:52 AM   #24
Ryann866
Lieutenant Commander

Arlo wrote: View Post

I can't speak to the fx shots, but the live action screenshots show a much more realistic and pleasing color palette to my eye. Look at Spock's jacket, for example, in the Engineering shot. The blu ray reveals the accurate slightly marroon shade of the uniforms. By comparison, the DVD looks like a tv with the color cranked up. And the bridge shot, the bridge walls are restored to a proper neutral grey balanceas well.

Isn't there something going on with digital scrubbing or DNR on these blu-rays? Especially Trek III & IV. The picture seems really off, like it was sliced out and pasted on top. I noticed this when I played them too, but it's clear in these photos.
Ryann866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 08:23 PM   #25
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Ryann866 wrote: View Post

Isn't there something going on with digital scrubbing or DNR on these blu-rays? Especially Trek III & IV. The picture seems really off, like it was sliced out and pasted on top. I noticed this when I played them too, but it's clear in these photos.
They used old 1080i transfers that had been designed to be downrezzed for DVD or shown on HDTV. Part of creating those transfers probably involved scrubbing the detail.

Most people think that, if they took the time and resources to do new 1080p transfers from the masters, they would've looked much better on BD. I agree, but I still think the BDs looked much better than the DVDs, and I enjoy them.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2010, 03:58 PM   #26
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Regarding the bluer space scenes, it now looks very cold in space, a good place for revenge.
Old October 12 2010, 04:15 AM   #27
Destructor
Commodore

Those photos look INCREDIBLE. Those alone convinced me to get the Blu-ray discs. The DVD pics look awful incomparison.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2010, 05:21 AM   #28
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

Still both space shots look wrong, the first one has a mighty red shift and the blu-ray one has a strong blue shit aswel
Old October 12 2010, 07:59 PM   #29
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

Destructor wrote: View Post

Those photos look INCREDIBLE. Those alone convinced me to get the Blu-ray discs. The DVD pics look awful incomparison.
Hm. In the final shot from TVH, when the crew is on their way to the soon-to-be-revealed Enterprise A, Captain Kirk is still wearing admiral's piping on his tunic.

Never noticed that before.
Old January 10 2011, 07:26 PM   #30
SMC
Lieutenant

The blu ray format does tend to represent colour more accurately than either DVD or video tape and to me the Wrath of Khan blu ray has perfectly balanced colour reproduction and looks much closer to a 35mm print of TWOK I saw several years ago than any previous home video release.

For some reason there's often a distinct red push on DVD and TWOK suffered from this more than most - to my eyes looked far too warm on the DVD releases. The blu ray reminded me just what a colourful film this really is.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote