Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 11 2011, 03:25 AM   #1
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

TWOK DVD audio

I have the Director's edition DVD for Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan and it seems to be missing some audio that I remember from my TV taped version I had. The audio I remember is in the clip below. What I remember was actually hearing the engineering crew yelling "I can't breathe" "I need air" and Scott's command to them to use their respirator's and to return to their posts.

Was that dropped from the DVD?

Last edited by RyanKCR; October 11 2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Forgot the video.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Re: TWOK DVD audio

The new 7.1 remix makes those lines difficult to hear.
Old October 11 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Borjis
Commodore

whoa! I love it!

Scotty: "GET BACK TO YOUR POSTS!!"

I don't recall ever hearing any of those background voices, but it really takes the intensity up a notch.

shame on paramount if you can barely hear them and they are on the soundtrack.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 02:01 AM   #4
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

Still a great scene, no matter how many times one sees it...

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 02:17 AM   #5
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

I meant to post earlier, but watched the entire clip and forgot what I was doing.
Now, I'm able to hear it in my Blu-ray, but I have the audio set to stereo (since it's just a small TV).
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 03:14 AM   #6
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

To be clear, the Scotty lines "Use your respirators" and "Stay at your posts" are very clear in the new mix while the cadets shouting things like "Air! I need air" are tougher to hear. "Use your respirators" was always audible in the mix with all of the cadets shouting. "Stay at your posts" is something I never noticed until the new mix on the Blu-ray. I've never noticed it on previous video releases or the many theatrical viewings I've had of the movie.

"Star Trek IV" also has one extra line of dialogue on the Blu-ray that wasn't there before, heard during the climax of the hospital chase.
Old October 12 2011, 05:55 AM   #7
Kamdan
Lieutenant Commander

I saw this clip today and wondered the same thing.
Kamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 06:02 AM   #8
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I meant to post earlier, but watched the entire clip and forgot what I was doing.
Now, I'm able to hear it in my Blu-ray, but I have the audio set to stereo (since it's just a small TV).
That's a good point - The default audio on DVDs and Blurays these days is 5.1 or 7.1 surround. If you're not watching them with a surround system, it's going to sound different on your TV's built-in stereo speakers because it's not mixed for that. I bet there's a regular stereo or 2.0 option in the audio menu that will correct the OP's problem.

I spent a good amount of time wondering why "Batman Begins" on bluray didn't sound as awesome as it should until I realized it was defaulting to a lesser audio track. Once I switched settings, the difference was clear as day.
Old October 12 2011, 05:45 PM   #9
22 Stars
Commodore

Yeah, i'm always surprised when a disc doesn't default to the 'highest' quality sound settings. Granted if it has both DTS and 5.1/7.1 not sure what they should default to, but certainly discs with just 2.0 and 5.1 should default to the 5.1 and let users downgrade if necessary.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 08:16 PM   #10
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

My disc only has two 5.1 surround sound options for English. I can sorta hear the crew yelling about breathing and air but Scott's lines are gone.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 02:51 AM   #11
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
I spent a good amount of time wondering why "Batman Begins" on bluray didn't sound as awesome as it should until I realized it was defaulting to a lesser audio track. Once I switched settings, the difference was clear as day.
Batman Begins defaults to the Dolby Digital track because it's not guaranteed that a player will be able to play the Dolby TrueHD track; especially with Warner Brothers' autostart they use on Blu-rays (love that), they didn't want people to put the disc in, get no sound, and think it's defective.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 05:34 AM   #12
Basill
Captain

I find this topic fascinating, as I'd swear I've always been able to hear, "Use your respirators lads!" (I've always heard Scotty calling the cadets "lads") and, "Get back to your posts!" The cadets have always been harder for me to make out individually, but that one fella wailing that he can't breathe is chiseled into my brain.

I would assume this to be for as long as I've been watching the film since its television premier (I missed it in the theatre). I can't be sure since I no longer have that tape, but I used to play that thing over and over again. Heck, when I listen to the soundtrack now I can't help but hear that and all the other movie's dialog playing out in my head with the melodies, having committed it all to memory as a single unit at a fairly young age.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2011, 03:52 PM   #13
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Batman Begins defaults to the Dolby Digital track because it's not guaranteed that a player will be able to play the Dolby TrueHD track; especially with Warner Brothers' autostart they use on Blu-rays (love that), they didn't want people to put the disc in, get no sound, and think it's defective.
Once I figured out I was on the wrong track, that's what I figured was the case.