Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 14 2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Star Trek Wallpapers

I wasn't certain whether this belonged in Fan Art or not, since it's not really about fan art per se.

This has probably been asked repeatedly, but I have a widescreen monitor (16:9) and the only Star Trek wallpapers I have are low res (1024x768) or are standard (1600x1200) which means I have to either blow them up to huge, grainy, blurry sizes or cut the heads off of most the images trying to get a decent image for a wallpaper.

I've been looking high and low for widescreen TOS wallpapers (ships, crew, etc) with no luck. I'm sure this question has been asked, and who knows, I may have asked it, but are there sites with real, quality, widescreen Star Trek wallpapers?
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 07:30 PM   #2
KiraDax
Captain

Re: Star Trek Wallpapers

I second this, though I would prefer wallpapers featuring land(star)scapes or the non TOS series.

The lack of resolution variety in Trek wallpapers has always baffled me. This is a geek fandom. No way the majority of people still use the smaller monitor sizes. Time to catch up with the times!
Old April 14 2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Exactly! I have a hard time believing that there isn't a Trek wallpaper site that is dedicated to widescreen monitors.

Old April 14 2010, 09:59 PM   #4
captcalhoun
Admiral

if you've got a widescreen monitor, resize the wallpaper to the correct width and then set your desktop's background colour to black and bob's yer uncle, you've got a letterbox style desktop. plus, you can bung your shortcuts into the black bars and leave the image clear. (unless you've got bajillions)
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 11:06 PM   #5
Santa Claus
Believe

^ Yeah, I've done that before, too. There are all kinds of little tricks to make it work, but at the end of the day, you're still trying to make a picture never meant for a widescreen monitor suddenly work for a widescreen monitor. It's almost like Pan and Scan, which most of us tend to abhor.

Old April 15 2010, 02:09 AM   #6
ITElf
Vice Admiral

If you supply some hi-res source files and a concept for a wallpaper I'll gladly make one for whatever resolution you use, J.

Old April 15 2010, 02:58 AM   #7
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

I usually find that 1900x1280 (?) will reduce without much distortion on my 16:9 screen. Being an annoyingly OCD person, I will still crop to fit whenever possible. I despise those black bars on my desktop.
Old April 15 2010, 03:00 AM   #8
Santa Claus
Believe

ITL wrote: View Post
If you supply some hi-res source files and a concept for a wallpaper I'll gladly make one for whatever resolution you use, J.

I remember those fantastic wallpapers you made for Starscape BBS way back when. You made us look like we knew what we were doing. Now THAT takes talent!

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I usually find that 1900x1280 (?) will reduce without much distortion on my 16:9 screen. Being an annoyingly OCD person, I will still crop to fit whenever possible. I despise those black bars on my desktop.
Same. As an OCD, I notice the little things.