Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 13 2010, 03:20 PM   #31
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Law & Order: Los Angeles given 13 episode pick-up, other L&O News

MichaelDornFan wrote: View Post
If any Law & Orders have to be canceled, then count me as another person who would prefer to see the original kept alive indefinitely!
This.

As of the current (20th) season, L&O has already tied Gunsmoke's record for longest continuously running drama series. Let it *double* that record.

And keep it character-proof. That's what I like about L&O: its relative lack of characterization. TV shows these days have too much character. Too much whiny emo angst. A show that is not at all concerned with characters - that's a breath of fresh air. I've always viewed L&O as the Mr. Spock of tv shows.

Oh, and one other thing.

KEEP.
IT.
IN.
NEW.
YORK.
CITY.

The occasional spinoff set in another city (such as London or L.A.) is fine, but never let the original deviate from NYC. Not only is it set there, it's bleeding well FILMED there! You don't get much of that anymore. When was the last time we saw a show that was not only set in New York, but shot there? L&O will always hold a special place in my heart, for that reason alone. (shit, why do you all think I love the US Life on Mars so much? )
Old May 13 2010, 03:27 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
BTW, I know that, considering the high volume of new guest characters on every episode, recycling actors is inevitable. Still, I wish they wouldn't recast old Homicide regulars in new roles, since the shows are supposed to be set in the same universe.
On the other hand, a number of L&O lead characters have been played by actors who'd earlier appeared in different roles, such as Jeremy Sisto, who played a defense attorney before being cast as one of the cops. So they've recast actors within the same franchise. Which is bound to happen with any long-running series (just look at Star Trek and its frequent uses of Vaughn Armstrong, Suzie Plakson, Jeffrey Combs, and others).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 03:53 PM   #33
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

^ I think Jeremy Sisto has the record, though, since he played a defense attorney in one episode and joined the cast (as Detective Lupo) in the very next episode. Of course the eps in question were separated by a season break, but hey, who's counting.

(in fact *all three cops* on the current L&O are played by 'repeat' actors...)
Old May 13 2010, 07:41 PM   #34
Andonagio
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

And keep it character-proof. That's what I like about L&O: its relative lack of characterization. TV shows these days have too much character. Too much whiny emo angst. A show that is not at all concerned with characters - that's a breath of fresh air. I've always viewed L&O as the Mr. Spock of tv shows.
Hear hear! I second the opinion that too much of contemporary television is filled with angsty or otherwise offbeat characters. Sometimes we just want a straight-up, no-frills, episodic story that's not weighed down with seasons-long story arcs or character development, and the original L&O serves that beautifully. Here's hoping LOLA continues that tradition.
Old May 14 2010, 06:07 PM   #35
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

The occasional spinoff set in another city (such as London or L.A.) is fine, but never let the original deviate from NYC. Not only is it set there, it's bleeding well FILMED there! You don't get much of that anymore. When was the last time we saw a show that was not only set in New York, but shot there?
Gossip Girl.
Ugly Betty.
Rescue Me.
The Daily Show.
The Colbert Report.
Rubicon.

TV shows aplenty still lens in New York.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 06:41 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer

Sometimes shows not even set in New York are filmed there. Fringe was shot in NYC in its first season, though mostly set in Boston. However, it moved to Vancouver for S2.

Old May 14 2010, 10:50 PM   #37
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

24, AFAIK, did very little actual on-location New York filming. Most of it was greenscreen. L&O, on the other hand, filmed it ALL in New York. Even the "Judgment In L.A." three-parter from many years ago (which really cracks me the fuck up ) .
Old May 15 2010, 12:20 AM   #38
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
BTW, I know that, considering the high volume of new guest characters on every episode, recycling actors is inevitable. Still, I wish they wouldn't recast old Homicide regulars in new roles, since the shows are supposed to be set in the same universe. It was especially disturbing in an SVU rerun I saw recently where Zeljko Ivanekplayed a city councilman who was having a sexual relationship with his own daughter. It was especially awkward since this was one of the few SVU episodes that Munch was actually in. I kept expecting him to cry out, "Danvers, how could you?!?!"
Seeing Dean Winters (SVU season 1) as a completely different and dirty cop on CI was a bit jarring.
Then there's Ritchie Coster (the Chechen mobster from The Dark Knight). He's been on the various Law & Order shows a total of 7 times, and nearly every time, he's always the killer. I guess, when you've got that look, it's hard to not be the killer. Although there was one episode I recall where he wasn't the killer; he just helped dispose of the body.
Old May 15 2010, 12:26 AM   #39
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

24, AFAIK, did very little actual on-location New York filming. Most of it was greenscreen.

Do you have a source for this tidbit? Because if you do, I'd love to see it.
Old May 15 2010, 12:48 AM   #40
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Then there's Ritchie Coster (the Chechen mobster from The Dark Knight). He's been on the various Law & Order shows a total of 7 times, and nearly every time, he's always the killer. I guess, when you've got that look, it's hard to not be the killer. Although there was one episode I recall where he wasn't the killer; he just helped dispose of the body.
Is that last episode you mentioned, the two-part they did with Trial By Jury? 'Cos he was on the original L&O once and wasn't the killer (he was a corrupt DEA agent). In fact he *got* killed in that episode.

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
24, AFAIK, did very little actual on-location New York filming. Most of it was greenscreen.

Do you have a source for this tidbit? Because if you do, I'd love to see it.
You thought I was making that up, didn't you? Hardly.

Last edited by Rķu rķu, chķu; May 15 2010 at 01:33 AM.
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2010, 01:17 AM   #41
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Not "make up" so much as "perhaps misremembering and naturally exaggerating."

Anyway. I know what scene they're referring to in that article and it was very obviously chroma'd but there has been also very obviously shot-on-location stuff in New York City as well this season, much like there was in Washington DC last year.

Obviously the majority of stuff was done here in L.A., but one chroma-keyed sequence of a helicopter chase hardly indicates that they didn't do any location work in the Big Apple.
Old May 15 2010, 03:47 AM   #42
Christopher
Writer

^No, I saw a video feature recently that shows the extensive use of greenscreen to create the illusion of cityscapes that aren't actually there. Tons of shows use it, not just for obvious things like helicopter stunts, but for wide shots of characters on streets with skylines or landmarks in the background.

Old May 15 2010, 03:52 AM   #43
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

^ In L&O, for example, there are a lot of scenes where we see the detectives interview someone at a palatial corner office apparently high up in a skyscraper. If they do use greenscreen for shots like that, it must be very detailed, since the view outside the various windows appears to be seamless.
Old May 17 2010, 01:20 AM   #44
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Is that last episode you mentioned, the two-part they did with Trial By Jury? 'Cos he was on the original L&O once and wasn't the killer (he was a corrupt DEA agent). In fact he *got* killed in that episode.
Old May 17 2010, 03:22 AM   #45
Harvey
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Not "make up" so much as "perhaps misremembering and naturally exaggerating."

Anyway. I know what scene they're referring to in that article and it was very obviously chroma'd but there has been also very obviously shot-on-location stuff in New York City as well this season, much like there was in Washington DC last year.

Obviously the majority of stuff was done here in L.A., but one chroma-keyed sequence of a helicopter chase hardly indicates that they didn't do any location work in the Big Apple.
For the first 8 episodes of season seven, 24 only spent a week filming scenes in Washington, DC. After that, the writer's strike happened, and I don't think they ever returned to shoot more material for the remainder of the season. The scene between Tony and Jack at the reflecting pool, for example, was done entirely with green screens.

Everything I've read has indicated that a similar shooting schedule with only a few days in New York City was followed this year.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote