Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old April 15 2010, 03:47 PM   #46
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: How Thor breaks down racial barriers in Asgard

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
More "representational" bullcrap. Let's have a latino Superman, and a Batman who becomes BatWOMAN after a trip to Sweden and Will Smith in drag playing Wonder Woman...
There's nothing innately wrong with any of those suggestions...why do you imagine that there is? Certainly there can't be any reasonable objection to a latino Superman.

Hell, the Will Smith idea may be the only way to get a WW movie actually made.
Old April 15 2010, 04:10 PM   #47
iguana_tonante
Admiral

matthunter wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
More "representational" bullcrap. Let's have a latino Superman,
Yes, let's, that's not a bad idea. Superman is after all a migrant (from OUTER SPACE) and it wouldn't be hard to draw comparisons with that and the Latino experience in the States.
Plus, the guy spends a LOT of time in the sun (quite literally, in some cases...) and has flowing black locks.
Don't be silly now, Kal-El is clearly Jewish.
Old April 15 2010, 04:27 PM   #48
Theodore Jay Miller
Commodore

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
It's one thing to not pay attention to race if the story is explicitly about race, and another to not pay attention to race when it's entirely immaterial to the story.
Right. For a character like the Black Panther, say, it's a significant part of the character concept that he's an African prince; a white actor would be very dissonant. But for a lot of white comic book characters, their race is not really significant; the comic book writers just tended to make everyone white by default. So using black actors for some of them would not be a big dissonance.
Old April 15 2010, 04:47 PM   #49
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Theodore Jay Miller wrote: View Post
Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
It's one thing to not pay attention to race if the story is explicitly about race, and another to not pay attention to race when it's entirely immaterial to the story.
Right. For a character like the Black Panther, say, it's a significant part of the character concept that he's an African prince; a white actor would be very dissonant. But for a lot of white comic book characters, their race is not really significant; the comic book writers just tended to make everyone white by default. So using black actors for some of them would not be a big dissonance.

Exactly. Well put.

First off, Heimdall is not an exactly an iconic figure like Superman or Sherlock Holmes. Second, and more importantly, he's never been defined by his skin color. I don't recall Thor ever greeting him with "Hail, Heimdall, whitest of the Gods of Asgard! Truly, thine pale complexion speaks well of your Nordic heritage!"

Heimdall's defining characteristic in the comics was that he was a staunch and vigilant defender of Asgard. His skin color was irrelevent. It has nothng to do with his function in the story.

And, yeah, if and when they finally get around to making a modern WONDER WOMAN movie, Paradise Island had darn well better be an utopian rainbow nation of multiracial Amazons!
Old April 15 2010, 05:08 PM   #50
C_Miller
Captain

Has anyone actually mentioned yet that the actor in question is Idris Elba, who happens to be the man? Seriously, get Elba to play Thor or even Superman or Batman. He kicks ass. If it has been mentioned, I apologize, I tried my best to wade through the comments from the person with the confederate flag as an avatar and a location stating he's fro the unreconstructed south saying that a black person can't play a white person...
Tons of Titles still available!
Old April 15 2010, 05:13 PM   #51
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

C_Miller wrote: View Post
If it has been mentioned, I apologize, I tried my best to wade through the comments from the person with the confederate flag as an avatar and a location stating he's fro the unreconstructed south saying that a black person can't play a white person...
Yeah, really.

It's an important point, that many characters in popular literature and culture are white simply because in the minds of the creators or marketers white=generic human being. Precedent in casting is a pretty weak argument as well, and joking aside gender-switching is a completely different issue - "Wonder Woman" is, by definition and very specific backstory, a woman. "Superman" is male, but he's not called "SuperWhiteMan."
Old April 15 2010, 05:14 PM   #52
Hermiod
Admiral

Has anyone actually mentioned yet that the actor in question is Idris Elba, who happens to be the man? Seriously, get Elba to play Thor or even Superman or Batman. He kicks ass. If it has been mentioned, I apologize, I tried my best to wade through the comments from the person with the confederate flag as an avatar and a location stating he's fro the unreconstructed south saying that a black person can't play a white person...
Yeah, let's not do that.

I sincerely hope that he does not "kick ass" as otherwise he'd be too busy serving time to play characters he's wrong for.

In the meantime, carry on arguing for casting actors who are wrong for the parts you're suggesting for no reason other than stunt casting.
Old April 15 2010, 05:21 PM   #53
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Oh, don't be silly. We're not talking about a serious historical drama here. Hell, we're not even talking about a serious adaptation of classic Norse mythology. We're talking about THE MIGHTY THOR, which stopped being a faithful adaption of the Norse myths about the time Thor fought the "Stone Men from Saturn" in the very first issue of the comic book.

It's a comic book action movie, filmed in 2010.
And that's an excuse that justifies making any and all changes to whatever character the makers want?t...

The point is not that it's "just" a comic book book movie. The point is that the THOR comics, in particular, have never been terribly faithful to the original myths, so why start now?

We're not talking about a real, historical Norseman. We're talking about a fantastical comic book character that's already several steps removed from anything resembling actual history . . . .

And if the casting means that the film looks like a modern film, and not an all-white relic from the early sixties, so much the better. That's a net gain in my book.
Old April 15 2010, 05:33 PM   #54
Vonstadt
Captain

You know this doesn't bother me at all, I think he is gonna make a strong Heimdell.

Who cares what the man's race is?

Vons
Old April 15 2010, 05:52 PM   #55
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
More "representational" bullcrap. Let's have a latino Superman, and a Batman who becomes BatWOMAN after a trip to Sweden and Will Smith in drag playing Wonder Woman...
There's nothing innately wrong with any of those suggestions...why do you imagine that there is? Certainly there can't be any reasonable objection to a latino Superman.

Hell, the Will Smith idea may be the only way to get a WW movie actually made.
Will Smith as WW? That's ridiculous!

Zoe Saldana, on the other hand . . . .
Old April 15 2010, 05:58 PM   #56
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'm so there. Has anyone at the studio seriously proposed this yet?
Old April 15 2010, 06:45 PM   #57
Aragorn
Admiral

Was the confederate poster on here back when Michael Clark Duncan was cast as Kingpin? THIS ISN'T A BIG DEAL!!!!

On the flip side though, casting a white actor as Spawn would cause some groups to go postal.
Old April 15 2010, 06:51 PM   #58
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Was the confederate poster on here back when Michael Clark Duncan was cast as Kingpin? THIS ISN'T A BIG DEAL!!!!

Believe me, people complained about Duncan, too. Sometimes vehemently.

Which was silly. The essence of the Kingpin is that he is massive, manipulative, and menacing.

Duncan fit the bill, perfectly
Old April 15 2010, 07:02 PM   #59
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I tried my best to wade through the comments from the person with the confederate flag as an avatar and a location stating he's fro the unreconstructed south saying that a black person can't play a white person...
Heck I totally missed those signifiers, must've been particularly dense that day. One wonders now what he thinks of that William Shatner/Nichelle Nichols kiss.

Oh, yes. Do that and I'd actually watch the Wonder Woman movie.

Well, I'd say I might watch it.

That said, Will Smith wouldn't have been too bad a Superman.
Old April 15 2010, 07:11 PM   #60
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post

In the meantime, carry on arguing for casting actors who are wrong for the parts you're suggesting for no reason other than stunt casting.

How do you know he's wrong for the part before we've even seen the movie?

I once saw James Earl Jones play King Lear on stage. Trust me, he was great.

Don't tell me Heimdall is more iconic is Lear!