Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old April 15 2010, 12:30 AM   #31
cylkoth
Commodore

Re: How Thor breaks down racial barriers in Asgard

Hey, they should've cast me, damn it!
Old April 15 2010, 12:39 AM   #32
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
"Diversity" casting is the most egregious sort of stunt casting. Any producer or director who would cast on that basis is more concerned with "making a statement" than producing a good movie.

Still interested in the film, but this definitely counts against it.
I have a lot more confidence in Kenneth Branagh's abilities as a film director than I do in your opinions of his casting choices.

Thor is going to be awesome.
Then perhaps, oh sage, you might enlighten me as to what this casting choice actually BRINGS to the project other than a few press releases touting a "diverse" cast?

A filmmaker's first priority and duty is to the FILM, not to making political/social statements.
Old April 15 2010, 01:14 AM   #33
Skywalker
Admiral

"Diversity" casting is the most egregious sort of stunt casting. Any producer or director who would cast on that basis is more concerned with "making a statement" than producing a good movie.

I have a lot more confidence in Kenneth Branagh's abilities as a film director than I do in your opinions of his casting choices.

Then perhaps, oh sage, you might enlighten me as to what this casting choice actually BRINGS to the project other than a few press releases touting a "diverse" cast?
An excellent actor.
Old April 15 2010, 01:51 AM   #34
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post

An excellent actor.
There are plenty of skilled actors out there. What does this particular actor bring to the table that demands that HE be given in this role, given the nature of the character (to wit: a Norse god) that argues against the casting. You would not hire a black actor to play Abe Lincoln, or Robert E Lee, regardless of how skilled they were, because those people were not black.
Old April 15 2010, 02:26 AM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

There are plenty of skilled actors out there. What does this particular actor bring to the table that demands that HE be given in this role, given the nature of the character (to wit: a Norse god) that argues against the casting. You would not hire a black actor to play Abe Lincoln, or Robert E Lee, regardless of how skilled they were, because those people were not black.

Oh, don't be silly. We're not talking about a serious historical drama here. Hell, we're not even talking about a serious adaptation of classic Norse mythology. We're talking about THE MIGHTY THOR, which stopped being a faithful adaption of the Norse myths about the time Thor fought the "Stone Men from Saturn" in the very first issue of the comic book.

It's a comic book action movie, filmed in 2010. Who cares what race Heimdall is? He's a modern interpretation of an old Stan Lee/Jack Kirby character. And the days when all comic book characters had to be white are, thankfully, long past. Welcome to 2010.

Won't hurt the movie one bit.
Old April 15 2010, 02:54 AM   #36
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

An excellent actor.
Yep. Why isn't that the first thing that occurs to people when they ask that question?
Old April 15 2010, 03:46 AM   #37
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

A filmmaker's first priority and duty is to the FILM, not to making political/social statements.
You're assuming Branagh is attempting to make a political/social statement, when in fact this is simply him following an established pattern of casting actors he thinks will be a good fit for the role and a good fit for the overall film, regardless of their skin color. (e.g., his casting of Denzel Washington in Much Ado About Nothing, Adrian Lester in Love's Labours Lost, Lester and David Oyelowo in As You Like It, along with the liberties he took in terms of time and place with Hamlet, Love's Labours Lost, and As You Like It).

As Greg pointed out, this is not a straight-up faithful retelling of Norse mythology; it's a movie based on a comic book that has long played fast and loose with that mythology, so I don't see any problem with Branagh being allowed to tweak it as he sees fit. Certainly the other Marvel-based films of the past decade have felt free to discard or rewrite various characters as it served the story. If this ruins Thor for you, that's your problem, not anyone else's.
Old April 15 2010, 04:14 AM   #38
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
It's a comic book action movie, filmed in 2010. Who cares what race Heimdall is? He's a modern interpretation of an old Stan Lee/Jack Kirby character. And the days when all comic book characters had to be white are, thankfully, long past. Welcome to 2010.

I am pretty sure nobody would be up in arms if Blade, John Stewart, Black Lightning, Storm or Vixen are cast as White People right?
Old April 15 2010, 05:26 AM   #39
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Oh, don't be silly. We're not talking about a serious historical drama here. Hell, we're not even talking about a serious adaptation of classic Norse mythology. We're talking about THE MIGHTY THOR, which stopped being a faithful adaption of the Norse myths about the time Thor fought the "Stone Men from Saturn" in the very first issue of the comic book.

It's a comic book action movie, filmed in 2010.
And that's an excuse that justifies making any and all changes to whatever character the makers want?

Ok, then Thor (in his god form) can be a 90 year old bald Chineese guy...it's just a "comic book movie", right?

Fans would utterly reject that, and they SHOULD.

Who cares what race Heimdall is? He's a modern interpretation of an old Stan Lee/Jack Kirby character. And the days when all comic book characters had to be white are, thankfully, long past. Welcome to 2010.

More "representational" bullcrap. Let's have a latino Superman, and a Batman who becomes BatWOMAN after a trip to Sweden and Will Smith in drag playing Wonder Woman...it's all just a "comic book movie"...right?

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post

I am pretty sure nobody would be up in arms if Blade, John Stewart, Black Lightning, Storm or Vixen are cast as White People right?

Of COURSE they would...because it's all about "Ya gotta 'represent'..." and riding on the coattails of popular characters to make a social point...
Old April 15 2010, 06:56 AM   #40
Skywalker
Admiral

Who cares what race Heimdall is? He's a modern interpretation of an old Stan Lee/Jack Kirby character. And the days when all comic book characters had to be white are, thankfully, long past. Welcome to 2010.

More "representational" bullcrap. Let's have a latino Superman, and a Batman who becomes BatWOMAN after a trip to Sweden and Will Smith in drag playing Wonder Woman...it's all just a "comic book movie"...right?
Hey, why not? We've already had a Superman who was of partial Asian descent.
Old April 15 2010, 06:57 AM   #41
Hermiod
Admiral

cylkoth wrote: View Post

Hey, they should've cast me, damn it!
Ahem!!!!
Old April 15 2010, 07:01 AM   #42
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Hey, why not? We've already had a Superman who was of partial Asian descent.
Why is it they never cast a Kryptonian?
Old April 15 2010, 07:26 AM   #43
Red Ranger
Admiral

Much ado about nothing. When I first saw this, I must admit, I did have an incredulous reaction -- these are Norse gods, after all. However, here's how you could explain it, if you must.

As I recall, in Norse mythology, there were two sets of gods, the Aesir and the Vanir. Now, it's true the Vanir are depicted as fair, but I also recall that the death goddess Hela's body is half black. Maybe Heimdall is a Vanir.

Now, perhaps it's possible that the Norse gods, while worshipped by fair-skinned people, might have a broader color palette, but can appear as white to those who worship them to make them feel comfortable. After all, the Hindu gods are represented with different color skin (blue, for example).

I also recall there were light elves and dark elves. Is it truly beyond the realm of possibility that in a mythical kingdom like Asgard there could, figuratively speaking, be "light" gods and "dark" gods?

I know I'm reaching, but hey, I think you can justify anything. (I was developing a character based on the Incan gods, and had the idea they were all a different, non-human color, like gold, but were able to appear to humans to have ordinary human hues.)

The fact Dusty and duckwing are all bent out of shape about this actually pleases me, and I think TPTB make casting decisions like this to piss people off and get them talking about their projects.

Now, it would have been preferable for a film about Norse gods to cast more Nordic looking folks -- but I'm sure several of the white actors who will be cast in the roles aren't exactly Nordic. Some will have -- gasp -- brown hair and brown eyes!

Also, look at Kevin Sorbo from the Hercules TV show. He's not Greek, yet played a Greek demi-god.

I also recall some gasps when George Perez worked on Wonder Woman in the '80s and he had the nerve to draw -- gasp -- black Amazon sisters of Princess Diana! Oh, teh noes!

So, BFD.

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Red Reindeer; April 15 2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old April 15 2010, 09:25 AM   #44
Kegg
Rear Admiral

More "representational" bullcrap. Let's have a latino Superman,
Yes, let's, that's not a bad idea. Superman is after all a migrant (from OUTER SPACE) and it wouldn't be hard to draw comparisons with that and the Latino experience in the States.

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
Oh, come now. That there are differences between Europeans of many Meditterreanean countries including Greece and northern European countries isn't something all that remarkable; but casting has often favoured northern European actors (Star Trek's Apollo, for example).
Well, of course, particularly in productions by northern Europeans (just like Britons are usually called on to play French characters in English-language versions of The Three Musketeers). It's not nearly the same thing in terms of difference
Yes, Englishmen playing the French isn't remotely the same.
Old April 15 2010, 03:37 PM   #45
matthunter
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
More "representational" bullcrap. Let's have a latino Superman,
Yes, let's, that's not a bad idea. Superman is after all a migrant (from OUTER SPACE) and it wouldn't be hard to draw comparisons with that and the Latino experience in the States.
Plus, the guy spends a LOT of time in the sun (quite literally, in some cases...) and has flowing black locks.
If you're frustrated with a smug, arrogant right-wing nutjob poster who never backs up their arguments and twists out of answering straight questions, try the Ignore feature! Now with raspberry filling.
Closed Thread