RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 709
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 1 2010, 04:57 PM   #31
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

DCI specs for 3-D digital delivery with higher fps

Dennis wrote: View Post
Because 3D is currently driving a switch-over to digital delivery in theaters across the country, this is no longer a problem. Thanks to Cameron, again.
Stereoscopic 3D Image:
2048x1080 (2K) at 48 frame/s - 24 frame/s per eye (4096x2160 4K not supported)
at 2K & 48fps only according to the Digital Cinema System Specification"
Digital Cinema Initiatives, LLC or DCI
On July 20, 2005, DCI released Version 1.0 of its "Digital Cinema System Specification", commonly referred to as the "DCI Specification". The document describes overall system requirements and specifications for digital cinema.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital..._Specification
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2010, 10:51 PM   #32
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: 'Avatar 2' Casting, Rumors, Pics till release

Producer Jon Landau, who worked on both Titanic and Avatar with Cameron, has now added some context to that info about the sequels. He talks about a possible link between the second and third films, and provides updates on some other Cameron projects.
Empire Magazine talked to Landau and he commented on how the seas are going to factor into the film, whether or not the film will go off of Pandora and if Avatar 2 will end with a cliffhanger that will be resolved in Avatar 3, which is scheduled for release in December 2015.
The next [film] will kick off where the next last one ended, but, just like Avatar resolved itself and doesn’t feel like a set-up to another movie, you don’t want Avatar 2 to feel like a set up for 3.
Water will be a part of the movie, but it won’t be all of the movie. There’s been a lot of rumors that it’s an underwater movie – it’s not.
I think the next movie will stay on Pandora. That’d be my guess. Not all the answers are there yet, but I think we’re happy with Pandora.
12 November 2010
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29468

http://www.slashfilm.com/producer-jo...atar-2-rumors/
Old April 5 2012, 05:31 PM   #33
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

‘Avatar 2′ In 2014? Probably Not Says Producer Jon Landau

“We’ve started already. WETA are already working and we have our core team, (animation supervisor) Richie Baneham and (digital effects supervisor) Nolan Murtha, working with us. And we’re working on underwater performance-capture.”
What do you think of this? They’re saying Avatar 2 won’t be released until 2015, with Avatar 3 following on 2016 or 2017.
http://latino-review.com/2012/04/04/...er-jon-landau/

Via
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33583

It will look great when it is done. Hopefully time to work on the script too.
Old April 5 2012, 05:36 PM   #34
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I really don't care.

The story was MEH, told better before.
The razzle, dazzle of the 3-D effects will long be over and that was the only real draw for the film.

I don't see this recapturing or reigniting anything like the first film did. This will determine just who the core Avatar fan base really is.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 08:50 PM   #35
RoJoHen
Awesome

I believe in the sequel Pocahontas is supposed to follow John Smith back to Earth.
Old April 5 2012, 08:53 PM   #36
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Re: ‘Avatar 2′ In 2014? Probably Not Says Producer Jon Landau

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
What do you think of this? They’re saying Avatar 2 won’t be released until 2015, with Avatar 3 following on 2016 or 2017.
However long it takes. I'm really looking forward to this; the first one was brilliant.

I suspect that the folks who didn't like the story in the first one will be similarl dissatisfied with the sequel.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 08:55 PM   #37
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

There are quite a few good films out this year and over the next couple of years, I'll be waiting patiently, 2014 or 15. It'll be interesting to see more of Pandora, and what exotic aquatic life the planet has.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 08:59 PM   #38
RoJoHen
Awesome

My biggest concern for the story is that I just don't see where it can go. I have a feeling it will either be a rehash of the first story (Pandora still has Unobtainium; Humans still want it) or it'll be such a dramatic departure from the first story that you wonder why they didn't just pretend it was a new series altogether.
Old April 5 2012, 09:15 PM   #39
Redfern
Commodore

I'm just flustered because Cameron keeps putting off the "Battle Angel Alita" project he's mentioned for well over a decade now. I wanna' see Kishiro's petite cyborg bounty hunter tearin' up the joint. On a similar front, I'm curious how Speilberg will handle Masamune Shirow's Major Motoko Kuasanagi in his adaptation of "Ghost in the Shell".

Hmm, you know, I think I have a thing for robo-babes.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 08:42 AM   #40
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

^^^ I'm still waiting for the Dark Angel continuation movie...

Looking forward to Avatar 2. While the story of Avatar was pretty derivitive of other movies it was so well done I looked past all the similarities to those other movies. The visuals of the foirst one are enough to get my butt in a theater seat for the sequel.
Old April 6 2012, 02:49 PM   #41
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

WETA preproduction work

specifically

Besides, it's not like they haven't started working on the film yet, as Landau himself says. WETA and other core members of the "Avatar" crew are already knee-deep in development on the sequel, to the point that they're building structures, environments and exploring ways to shoot motion-capture underwater.
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2012/04/04...otion-capture/

CGI models being built now in 2012. even before production begins. I guess they will be using a lot more previsual stuff and the technology has moved and will move further than the first film and did live 3-D composites with their virtual camera system.

but of course with the first film it was a long process as well as per wikipedia:
Principal photography for Avatar began in April 2007
Motion-capture photography lasted 31 days at the Hughes Aircraft stage in Playa Vista in Los Angeles.[55][87] Live action photography began in October 2007 at Stone Street Studios in Wellington, New Zealand, and was scheduled to last 31 days.
2.5 years before release the principle photography started so we are looking at 2012 to start production...
Old April 6 2012, 02:59 PM   #42
Llama
Captain

Only logical plot for Avatar 2:

* Humans return to Pandora with many ships.
* Humans bomb the crap out of the planet from space killing all life forms on the surface.
* Humans strip mine the planet.

It's a heart warming story for the whole family...
Old April 6 2012, 03:43 PM   #43
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Re: ‘Avatar 2′ In 2014? Probably Not Says Producer Jon Landau

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
However long it takes. I'm really looking forward to this; the first one was brilliant.

I suspect that the folks who didn't like the story in the first one will be similarl dissatisfied with the sequel.
Well if they did not sell the plot of the film as something revolutionary and would have tagged it "Pocahontas in space - down to every plot-twist" nobody would object.

Seriously: As superb as the film was visually, it was dull and boring when it comes to plot and characters.
You don't need to be a genuis to decode the whole plot in less than 15 minutes with essentially every single twist and turn of events throughout the next 2,5 hours.

If that's not a sign for bad storytelling, tell me what is...
Old April 6 2012, 05:25 PM   #44
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Can you recap this boring story? Should be easier than decoding every plot twist in less than fifteen minutes after all.
Old April 6 2012, 07:27 PM   #45
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Is there any word on will ILM be doing SFX alongside Weta again?