Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 30 2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Nolan -verse update

here

It's dated March 10, so it might be old news for you people, but it does discuss the new Batman film and the Superman film.
Old March 30 2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Small White Car
Rear Admiral

View Small White Car's Twitter Profile
Re: Nolan -verse update

Yeah, it's been around here.

The one thing that has me excited is the idea that Nolan may want to end HIS Batman movies in a way that no one can touch them after he leaves.

Like, un-mask Bruce at the end or have him marry Selina, or somehow inspire enough citizens that he feels he can retire Batman or...well, something to end his Batman totally.

You know they'll just re-boot Batman in 8-12 years no matter what he does, so why not have some fun here and do something to really end the whole thing in a way that a Batman film has never been able to end before?
Small White Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Small White Car wrote: View Post

The one thing that has me excited is the idea that Nolan may want to end HIS Batman movies in a way that no one can touch them after he leaves.

Like, un-mask Bruce at the end or have him marry Selina, or somehow inspire enough citizens that he feels he can retire Batman or...well, something to end his Batman totally.

You know they'll just re-boot Batman in 8-12 years no matter what he does, so why not have some fun here and do something to really end the whole thing in a way that a Batman film has never been able to end before?
Agreed 100%. I want his trilogy to stand on its own from the rest of the films. I don't mind others doing more Batman films down the line, but give Batman another break (5-8 years).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Small White Car wrote: View Post

Now that is an excellent idea.
Old March 30 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

This sounds look a good idea to me and even though I wasn't as impressed with DK as everyone else seemed to be I will definatly watch the next one, especially if its gonna be the last
Old March 30 2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

So, no-one in favour of making the 3rd movie the weakest one in the series, then rebooting a few years later with a new cast & creative team and a high school setting?
Old March 30 2010, 05:57 PM   #7
T'Baio
Admiral

*gets on the phone with Warner Brothers*
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 05:58 PM   #8
EnterpriseF
Commander

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
So, no-one in favour of making the 3rd movie the weakest one in the series, then rebooting a few years later with a new cast & creative team and a high school setting?
My Spider Sense is sparkling.
Old March 30 2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Kegg
Rear Admiral

So, no-one in favour of making the 3rd movie the weakest one in the series
I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

Call me a doomsayer; but it is hard to see how they can go anywhere but down after The Dark Knight. That is a hard act to follow and an even harder act to top. If the next film is merely okay, or just good, it could be slammed as the worst thing ever - and heaven forbid if it's a little bad.

And that Batman voice definitely needs to be dialed down a notch.
Old March 30 2010, 08:24 PM   #10
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Nolan's earliest interviews regarding a third film were regarding the topic of how you top the Dark Knight and that he wasn't ready to start work on a sequel...this is part of the reason why he's waited before starting work on a story. He's always said that he would do one more if they got a story they could all get behind and worked. So they must've found something they all agree is a good enough story to film or else I think he would have walked away from the franchise. The idea of him ending the trilogy with an actual conclusion intrigues me. You know Warner Bros will just reboot the franchise with a new creative team anyway.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 08:33 PM   #11
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
So, no-one in favour of making the 3rd movie the weakest one in the series
I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

Call me a doomsayer; but it is hard to see how they can go anywhere but down after The Dark Knight. That is a hard act to follow and an even harder act to top. If the next film is merely okay, or just good, it could be slammed as the worst thing ever - and heaven forbid if it's a little bad.

And that Batman voice definitely needs to be dialed down a notch.
The consensus is that the third movie in virtually any superhero franchise (which has gotten that far) is weaker than its predecessors. Superman III, Spider-man 3, X3, Batman Forever, Blade Trinity.

Indeed, nearly all third movies in a trilogy end up being the weakest, from Godfather III, to Return of the Jedi. Only Bourne and Die Hard break the jinx (well, you could also include Revenge of the Sith and some might include Indiana Jones 3).

Unfortunately for Superman and Batman, Supes IV and Batman & Robin were even worse than their predecessors ...
Old March 30 2010, 08:46 PM   #12
T'Baio
Admiral

I've never had much a problem with Bale's Batman voice. He has to do something to sound menacing, but also not be obviously Bruce Wayne. I don't know, it worked for me.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 10:03 PM   #13
Peter the Younger
Commodore

T'Baio wrote: View Post
I've never had much a problem with Bale's Batman voice. He has to do something to sound menacing, but also not be obviously Bruce Wayne. I don't know, it worked for me.
I think he went a shade too far in DK, hope they tone it down for the third one.

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 10:48 PM   #14
Too Much Fun
Commodore

I like the idea of Nolan trying to wrap things up naturally with the third movie and doing it in a way where it would be difficult for others to continue the series in a way that taints what he's done, but I really hope he doesn't go the route of killing off Batman.

I think that would be such a cheap, lazy way of trying to bring closure to a series, and one of the things that pissed me off about the third X-Men movie. It's like the philosophy was: Let's kill off a bunch of main characters and take away the powers of some of the other ones so this definitely feels like the last one and anyone wanting to make a sequel has a hell of a lot of work ahead of them to undo all the damage we did! Pretty stupid approach to capping off a series, in my opinion.

And Nolan is definitely aware of the threequel curse. He talked about it to explain why he was reluctant to do the third movie. If anyone can break that curse, though, I have faith that Nolan is the man to pull it off. But yeah, he needs to realize that letting Bale do his stupid Batman voice was one of the worst choices he made in the series. One of the few mistakes he's made, but still a big one.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 10:56 PM   #15
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Killing Batman isn't such a bad idea. It's an obvious idea, perhaps, but it's not without its merits. A much more radical idea would be Bruce Wayne abandoning the Batman moniker (his work is done, or rather can no longer be done), and that could be less satisfying.

The third alternative is an ending that is not an ending; that is, Batman is still out there, but the third film wraps things up thematically somehow. That does leave more wiggle room for a non-Nolan fourth picture to suggest it's a semi-sequel, though.