Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 9 2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Withers
Captain

View Withers's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Withers Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Withers
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

I hated this movie and made no secret of it in a video review I did of it (it's supposed to be funny.) This is part one of a two part deal. The second part is still in the works. This was the first serious attempt I ever made at video editing (so the sound isn't perfect.)

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy, and of course any suggestions you might have are more than welcomed. Enjoy.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbk...ew-part-on_fun

-Withers-
Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Need much better sound. I had to turn it all the way up and it was still muffled to nearly inaudible levels.

You should also probably reconsider the tone. The cutaway jokes don't seem to quite work for me. Either have more of them, more jokes in general or reexamine your intentions with the review. The kids thing at the end didn't really make sense either, at least not enough to dedicate a minute to it. God knows there is enough to make fun of in the movie though.

Make sure you mention how dumb Cid and the replacement for the Highwind are in AC. The thing doesn't even look like it should be able to fly.

Good luck with part 2.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 04:08 AM   #3
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

The big problem with this film is that they spent way too much time on longass fights and not enough time on what made this game so great in the first place. The story.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 05:47 AM   #4
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Agreed.
Old April 9 2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
The big problem with this film is that they spent way too much time on longass fights and not enough time on what made this game so great in the first place. The story.
Think about the proportion of time in the game that you spend in battles compared to being "in story".

J/k, I know it's not the same thing. While I do like the movie, I agree that the story suffers somewhat and the dialogue is downright cringe-worthy at times. They did help better explain the story with the AC-Complete blu-ray released more recently.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 07:52 AM   #6
clint g
Admiral

I'm not going to lie, the only thing I liked about the movie was the fight scenes. I hate to imagine how dull it would be without them
Old April 9 2010, 08:20 AM   #7
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Even the fight scenes got boring. I thought I fast forwarded most of the Cloud and Sephiroth one.
Old April 9 2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Mr Light
Admiral

I never played the game but I read about the story on wiki in preparation for this movie coming out because the trailer looked AMAZING. I really enjoyed the movie but it's certainly flawed in many ways. Rather than the emo triplets as villains why not just have Sepiroth come back in the first place? Everything felt like a waste of time until the ending. Also, it has the greatest theme song EVER.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

I like Advent Children. The story is lacking in comparison to the game, but it doesn't bother me. I just think it is fun to see the familiar characters again, and enjoy the great visuals and music.
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Scherazade
Ensign

I wasn't a huge fan of Advent Children when it came out, but then I saw Advent Children complete (the blu-ray version.) Several scenes were added that fleshed out the characters and the story. It went from being an okay movie to a damn good movie.
Scherazade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 09:56 PM   #11
Withers
Captain

View Withers's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Withers Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Withers

Maybe I should have posted this in the Neutral Zone so I could really say what I'm feeling right now...

It went from being an okay movie to a damn good movie.

I mean... what?

-Withers-
Old April 10 2010, 12:45 AM   #12
Kaijima
Captain

Don't mock him. The "complete" version is practically a re-write of the entire script. Besides added scenes, other scenes are edited, moved around, some dialog is changed, and other plot points are placed in an entirely new context. Essentially, they realized the first version was an incoherent mess.

The updated edition is still full of all the goofy things that make it Advent Children like super anime battles. But it /does/ have a lot more story and more characterization.

Fun fact: Nomura, the director of the film, originally sent many fight sequences back to the storyboarding stage because they were not impossible looking enough. L-O-L?
Kaijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 05:57 PM   #13
Withers
Captain

I don't know what makes you think I haven't seen both versions at this point... The movie was terrible no matter how you shake it. The "re-write of the entire script" (though that's hardly what I'd call it) was, to me, like putting a flower in the center of a massive horse plop and then calling it good.

Don't mock him.
Or what? You'll kill me? Like you killed Ensign Lynch!?

-Withers-
Old April 12 2010, 01:28 AM   #14
Servo
Rear Admiral

Sorry, but I enjoyed it. Sure, the story wasn't as good as the game (in fairness, the game had a lot longer to develop a story than a 125 minute movie did), but it held my interest, and the set-pieces were engaging and well put together.

And the Blu-Ray is nothing short of amazing.
Old April 12 2010, 01:32 AM   #15
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I thought it was rubbish.

It was even worse than rubbish, because everyone was all like "OMG ADVENT CHILDRENS COMING OUT DESU DESU DESU I CREAMD MAH PANTS"

And I saw it and I was like: "It's aight. Wouldn't want to watch it again, though."

Hype makes mediocre movies shit.