Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 14 2010, 10:51 AM   #61
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Re: USS Defiant, NCC-1764-A

MadMan1701A wrote: View Post
kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
It looks very good

and thanks for using my ide for the name and NCC number for this buet of a ship
No problem.

Got the impulse Engine figured out before LOST tonight...

More tomorrow, if not sooner.

Nice work so far. I like the clean lines to it. I like the use of one of the concept impulse designs, and lack of photorp housing in the neck (it always looked a little ungainly to me there). The use of cylindical warp nacelles is always welcome in my eyes. Though I'm not too crazy about the cowlings over the nacelles- they look a little top heavy (from from my artistic point of view).

Great stuff as always, MadMad. Always fun to watch you build.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 12:51 PM   #62
judexavier
Commander

Johnnymuffintop wrote: View Post
Question about the texture, you going with a more refit, TOS, or a blend of the two sort of look?
An interesting article here:
http://www.round2models.com/articles/probert-interview

One quote I found interesting:

"The original Enterprise had a set of red pinstripes running down the back of the saucer and engineering hull and I wanted to build on that idea of using various graphic markings on the hull. That idea evolved into a full pattern of red lines all over the hull becoming more of a visual enhancement beyond operational notations & section lines. We added a subtle blue-grey material to the leading edges of the dorsal, warp engines & pylons which created a subliminal kind of an 'all-American' Red White and Blue color scheme. The pin-striping encircled the saucer and various details, parts of the warp engines (still visible in some of my renderings), and other details. These were added by using custom decals, which were at their size, difficult to apply while keeping a smooth look. Consequently, when the ship's paint scheme was changed to a pearlescent finish, the modelers talked Trumbull (then in charge of SFX) into dropping the whole idea. A few of the red-striped details remained but are not nearly as prevalent."
judexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 01:09 PM   #63
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Thanks guys.

I'll probably go with a simpler version of the TMP color scheme... I'll probably lose some of the more complicated patterns on top of the secondary hull, and thanks to what Judexavier posted, more pin striping.

Texturing is still a little ways off, though. I still have to detail the thing out, and build windows first.
Old April 15 2010, 08:50 PM   #64
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Ok, I'm fixing to cut out windows....

Round, or Square?

I'm leaning towards square, myself...
Old April 15 2010, 09:06 PM   #65
Birdog
Commander

Ok, I'm fixing to cut out windows....

Round, or Square?
Yes.

A rounded off square is most realistic. The British found that out when their DH Comets kept falling from the sky because the square windows caused stress in the skin of the aircraft.
Birdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2010, 01:35 PM   #66
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Alright, not much of an update... not feeling so great today. I've been pushing it a little hard this week; I've made myself painfully aware that I am not recovered from surgery yet.

I decided on square windows, just because they were square on the TOS model.

Now, I know some are going to hate that undercut in the undercut, but it's one feature that I really like on the STXI version, and I put a torpedo launcher in there, so I can justify it with a purpose.

Next up is the saucer windows, and a little more detailing.

Have fun guys...
Old April 16 2010, 03:06 PM   #67
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

I really, really like where you're going here. Think the windows are a good choice, and I like that you seem to be doing a little bit of a mix of square and round, as on the TMP model.

I like your impulse engine module, as well. A lot!

I will put it right out there and say that I like the undercut in the undercut. It's one of the few things about the new E that I like (also liked it on the Ent-B/Lakota model).

Finally, I really like the overall shape of your nacelles; I love the aft end and the transition to round as they move forward. I do have to confess, however, that I'm still not a big fan of the cowling. Sorry. Not my call, of course, just stating an opinion.

I had one question, as well (with apologies if you've already answered, but I didn't see it up-thread): have you thought yet about what you're going to do re: markings: Especially, wondering about the possibility of Phase II style registry numbers on the sides of the secondary hull. I've never been sure whether I liked or disliked those, but they definitely distinguished it from the TOS and TMP versions.

Hope you're feeling better and that you get some rest over the weekend.

And, as always, thanks for sharing your work with us. It's a blast to follow along!
Old April 16 2010, 04:40 PM   #68
erifah
Captain

Have fun guys...

So, what's the plan for the nacelle end caps? What's going on in there? It's DARK and I can't see! You can't leave 'em like THAT - Klingon squirrels will get in there and nibble on the lug nuts, or space birds will build nests or something.

erifah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2010, 04:46 PM   #69
erifah
Captain

I'm not sure how I feel about the undercut's undercut.

It looks a bit like, a, ummmm, well, it looks similar to a... well, that round hole is reminding me of a... portal... where waste material... is ejected...

Old April 16 2010, 05:22 PM   #70
MadMan1701A
Commodore

TrekkieMonster wrote: View Post
I really, really like where you're going here. Think the windows are a good choice, and I like that you seem to be doing a little bit of a mix of square and round, as on the TMP model.

I like your impulse engine module, as well. A lot!

I will put it right out there and say that I like the undercut in the undercut. It's one of the few things about the new E that I like (also liked it on the Ent-B/Lakota model).

Finally, I really like the overall shape of your nacelles; I love the aft end and the transition to round as they move forward. I do have to confess, however, that I'm still not a big fan of the cowling. Sorry. Not my call, of course, just stating an opinion.

I had one question, as well (with apologies if you've already answered, but I didn't see it up-thread): have you thought yet about what you're going to do re: markings: Especially, wondering about the possibility of Phase II style registry numbers on the sides of the secondary hull. I've never been sure whether I liked or disliked those, but they definitely distinguished it from the TOS and TMP versions.

Hope you're feeling better and that you get some rest over the weekend.

And, as always, thanks for sharing your work with us. It's a blast to follow along!
Thanks. I haven't thought much about the markings yet, but I will probably end up with a mix between the 3 styles. I never liked the registry on the sides like that, but I have another idea that might work.

erifah wrote: View Post

Have fun guys...

So, what's the plan for the nacelle end caps? What's going on in there? It's DARK and I can't see! You can't leave 'em like THAT - Klingon squirrels will get in there and nibble on the lug nuts, or space birds will build nests or something.

erifah wrote: View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about the undercut's undercut.

It looks a bit like, a, ummmm, well, it looks similar to a... well, that round hole is reminding me of a... portal... where waste material... is ejected...

What is it with you guys and body parts, anyway? I was trying to echo the oval cutout in the neck...

About the back the nacelles, there are thin grilles in there, like the sides of the pylons. I will probably lose them, though... they do look too dark and empty. They'll probably end up more like the rear of the Refit=Style.
Old April 16 2010, 06:11 PM   #71
erifah
Captain

What is it with you guys and body parts, anyway? ...
You know, it wouldn't kill you to throw in some details that echo some FEMALE body parts.
Old April 16 2010, 06:16 PM   #72
largo
Fleet Captain

maybe it IS a female body part.
Old April 16 2010, 06:42 PM   #73
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

You folks crack me up. Thanks for adding a chuckle to an otherwise dreary day.

About this:

What if you kept the grills but added a little bit of a subtle glow? I always felt like that sphere on the aft end of the TOS nacelles glowed a bit, and it's one of the things I missed on the TMP version. Not enough glowey bits.
Old April 16 2010, 07:41 PM   #74
erifah
Captain

TrekkieMonster wrote: View Post
... and it's one of the things I missed on the TMP version. Not enough glowey bits.
Maybe if it IS a female body part, it could be AFTERGLOW.
Old April 16 2010, 09:37 PM   #75
publiusr
Commodore

I like the nacelle ends fine. The aft torpedo placement is perfect. You might want to reduce the undercut there just a tad, and have a torpedo cover or other structure to desguise it a bit, perhaps a fire control room just above. In SFB there is a weapon called a Mauler cannon that might help explain its great size. A Klingon thinks a heavy cruiser is helpless from the aft and whammo!

Looks great as a post-TOS/pre-Phase II design. The choice of windows is also perfect. Look forward to seeing more.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote