TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 13 2010, 02:14 PM   #46
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Re: USS Defiant, NCC-1764-A

judexavier wrote: View Post
MadMan1701A wrote: View Post
Thanks. I'm a little indecisive about the torpedo launcher... I was thinking, as suggested, of putting one inside the undercut below the shuttle bay. I don't know that it really needs more than two, though... the TOS enterprise only had the 1 tube, as far as we know.
Nice torpedo launcher design...the only thing that pops into my head is some sort of inset cover/door, suggested in the earlier Probert concepts, although some might confuse that for a docking port. Perhaps lots of red warning "decals" surrounding it.

The dish will be a darker copper color, and lit from behind. I just thought that having it partially glowing would be a good intermediate step between the designs, while still keeping it the same general color.

Perhaps you could re-introduce(?) the feature of a "telescoping" deflector assy., something related to it's focus/power output...as it extends, more backlight is visible.
Out of warp, (or when otherwise not "deflecting") it would retract into an almost TMP position.

Anyway, great work as always .
Thanks. I don't know about the moving deflector, though, I never really cared much for that idea. I don't even like how it moves on the newest version. I saw an idea once where the dish could swing around almost like a radio telescope... man that looked weird.
Old April 13 2010, 03:47 PM   #47
sojourner
Admiral

TrekkieMonster wrote: View Post

Hmmmmm ..., but I do think I need to find an elementary 3D software where I could do some digital doodling.

Any suggestions?

Looking forward to the next update.

Try Sketchup. It's deceptively simple and free!
Old April 13 2010, 04:19 PM   #48
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
TrekkieMonster wrote: View Post

Hmmmmm ..., but I do think I need to find an elementary 3D software where I could do some digital doodling.

Any suggestions?

Looking forward to the next update.

Try Sketchup. It's deceptively simple and free!
Thank you. That actually came to mind on my way in to work this morning, as I recall seeing several references to it on here. I may just have to give that a try!

And Madman, you make a very good point about the numbers of torp launchers in Trek designs. I like the idea of it being in the aft undercut. Might sort of give it a reason to exist at all which, to be honest, I never really did understand, from a functional perspective that is.

Your nav deflector idea sounds great!
Old April 13 2010, 06:11 PM   #49
USS Jack Riley
Captain

Thanks. I'm a little indecisive about the torpedo launcher... I was thinking, as suggested, of putting one inside the undercut below the shuttle bay. I don't know that it really needs more than two, though... the TOS enterprise only had the 1 tube, as far as we know.
Why? From a practical standpoint, if you have a tube coming out of the aft section of the neck, you can easily load forward and aft tubes using the same mechanism. Just seems to make sense to me.

YMMV.

Either way, this is looking great.

"Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Imagineer's Answer: Does it have to have a light bulb?"
USS Jack Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2010, 06:16 PM   #50
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Hmm, that is an interesting suggestion... I just don't know how good of an idea it would be to be sending torpedoes between those pylons like that.
Old April 13 2010, 06:31 PM   #51
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

Interestingly (at least to me ) I had this very debate with myself last night. Seems like it would be quite efficient to have both fore and aft firing torp launchers in the neck, but one would probably want to minimize the risk of an errant torp hobbling your ability to go to warp (at the very least.)

It also occurred to me that it might be quite efficient (if one were inclined toward multiple torp tubes) to have a series of them (not just two) aligned vertically all along the length of the neck, though it probably wouldn't be all that aesthetically pleasing. Maybe something for the MU version.

I actually quite like the subtlty of the single launcher as you have it now.
Old April 13 2010, 06:37 PM   #52
Science Officer
Lieutenant Commander

Not much more, but it for today.

Started detailing it up, built new pylons that are a little beefier in cross section, and tweaked the dish some more.

Have fun, guys.
On the TMP model, the base of the warp pylons looks like a weak point. So that is where the beefing up needs to be done.

Could you not follow the example set by aircraft wings? Their height increases the closer you get to the fuselage. You can see it in this image:

http://www.designnews.com/photo/90/9...lastic_The.jpg

I'm not suggesting you go anywhere near as thick as that. You could keep the inner face as it is. On the outer face, about halfway down, introduce a very subtle curve that increases the thickness by about 20-25%. The leading and trailing edges remian as they are.

I think it would give them a more organic look in keeping with the rest of the ship.

Cheers,

S.O.
Science Officer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2010, 06:57 PM   #53
largo
Fleet Captain

if you have phaser banks which include the warp nacelles within their firing arc, then a torpedo launcher in the neck, firing aft between the pylons, shouldn't be any greater of an issue. in both cases, it would make sense to enforce computer lockouts to prevent weapons fire from hitting your own vessel. and in the case of a torpedo, modern weapons of similar nature enforce an arming distance, before which the weapon is a fast-moving projectile, but not fused to explode.

however, given a single fore/aft launcher block, where would the turbolift safely traverse such an arrangement?
Old April 13 2010, 08:12 PM   #54
Johnnymuffintop
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Yahoo to Johnnymuffintop

MARVELLOUS!
Can't wait to see it textured.
Johnnymuffintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2010, 09:01 PM   #55
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Science Officer wrote: View Post
Not much more, but it for today.

Started detailing it up, built new pylons that are a little beefier in cross section, and tweaked the dish some more.

Have fun, guys.
On the TMP model, the base of the warp pylons looks like a weak point. So that is where the beefing up needs to be done.

Could you not follow the example set by aircraft wings? Their height increases the closer you get to the fuselage. You can see it in this image:

http://www.designnews.com/photo/90/9...lastic_The.jpg

I'm not suggesting you go anywhere near as thick as that. You could keep the inner face as it is. On the outer face, about halfway down, introduce a very subtle curve that increases the thickness by about 20-25%. The leading and trailing edges remian as they are.

I think it would give them a more organic look in keeping with the rest of the ship.

Cheers,

S.O.
I see what you're saying, but I think it might be un-necessary in this case. I made them thicker in cross section all the way up... I also made them "deeper", so that they look stronger.

Interestingly enough, the pylons on the newest Enterprise do exactly what you are describing.
Old April 13 2010, 09:03 PM   #56
MadMan1701A
Commodore

largo wrote: View Post
if you have phaser banks which include the warp nacelles within their firing arc, then a torpedo launcher in the neck, firing aft between the pylons, shouldn't be any greater of an issue. in both cases, it would make sense to enforce computer lockouts to prevent weapons fire from hitting your own vessel. and in the case of a torpedo, modern weapons of similar nature enforce an arming distance, before which the weapon is a fast-moving projectile, but not fused to explode.

however, given a single fore/aft launcher block, where would the turbolift safely traverse such an arrangement?
True, I didn't even think about the turbolift problem in that idea.

Yeah, I think I'll add the other bay in below the shuttlebay, if I add a rear tube at all.

Working on the impulse drive...
Old April 14 2010, 01:46 AM   #57
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

It looks very good

and thanks for using my ide for the name and NCC number for this buet of a ship
Old April 14 2010, 02:25 AM   #58
MadMan1701A
Commodore

kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
It looks very good

No problem.

Got the impulse Engine figured out before LOST tonight...

More tomorrow, if not sooner.
Old April 14 2010, 03:23 AM   #59
judexavier
Commander

kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
It looks very good

No problem.

Got the impulse Engine figured out before LOST tonight...

More tomorrow, if not sooner.
Love that impulse unit! Very nice! I'll be up late, so sooner, the better
judexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 09:35 AM   #60
Johnnymuffintop
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Yahoo to Johnnymuffintop

Question about the texture, you going with a more refit, TOS, or a blend of the two sort of look?
Johnnymuffintop is offline   Reply With Quote