Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 5 2010, 06:38 PM   #1
rodsmale84
Ensign

NY CLASS

Hey all! So this being the best Trek forum on the net I figured I would post my idea and designs on here. Ok, so here it is. I figure that the NX Class, while being a successful design, was difficult and very time consuming to construct. And with the growing aggression of the Romulan Star Empire, Starfleet needed something with the kick and speed of Enterprise and Columbia. My answer, the NY Class. The 1st new design built by Earth since the launch of the NX-01. Being only slightly smaller, the NY can match the speed and strength of the NX class while taking only a 3rd of the construction time. I also figured with the outbreak of actual war with the Romulans, Starfleet would have their ships lean even more towards combat. So I designed a 2158 version of the NY Class. I figured I would try and bridge the gap between the Enterprise era and 2233 by adding a few details found on the Kelvin. I figure the CIWS like pulse phasers found on the Kelvin are a weapon system developed during the Romulan War for shooting down incoming Romulan missiles that was in the process of being phased out of service by 2233. I also think the view screen being an actual window was also brought about during the war. Perhaps to counter the use of jamming devices used by the romulans to mess with Starfleet sensors, and by doing so, rendering the view screen useless. Much like the Enterprise and Reliant in the Mutara Nebula. With a window, the conn officer would at least of what the ship was heading towards and not be totally blind. Again, this idea was probably in the process of being phased out around the time of the Kelvin. But, being that the Kelvin was destroyed by Romulans, maybe Starfleet, fearing new Romulan aggression, kept that particular design trait in use, hence the window/view screen on the bridge of the Abramsprise. Also figured I'd give the 2158 model armoured Nacelles with the forward section resembling that of the Kelvin's, with the actual bussard collectors tucked away, making much less tempting targets. So yeah, that’s pretty much my idea. I only wish I had 3D modeling skills and didn't have to design this thing using MS paint.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/2f3fe079324442

PS. could someone please post this as a thumbnail, i seem to be having issues.

Last edited by rodsmale84; May 5 2010 at 10:45 PM.
rodsmale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: NY CLASS

nice ship design

as for your issue could be cus your forum rank is Cadet or your post count is too small
Old May 5 2010, 08:14 PM   #3
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

I like the Hornet. If you were to swap nacelle caps and put the nacelles upward instead of downward it would look very much like a good lead-in to the NCC 1700 series Connie!

Real good stuff! Keep it up!!

-Chuck
Old May 5 2010, 08:34 PM   #4
clint g
Admiral

kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
as for your issue could be cus your forum rank is Cadet or your post count is too small
Bingo

Anyways, those are some pretty slick designs. Nice work
Old May 5 2010, 11:39 PM   #5
Tiberius
Commodore

Nice designs, shows the lineage well.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 03:57 AM   #6
rodsmale84
Ensign

Thanks for the views and replies. I did one more version, which im calling the Saratoga NY-16. I figure this one would have come out around 2160 at a time when the Romulan war was going badly and Starfleet needed evry ship they could get. So they have a heavily striped down version on the NY Class. Which would pretty much be a armoured weapons platform with Nacelles. you will note the very flat hull.....not unlike the Kelvin's. Plus I added more hatches for what I'm calling CIWS Plasma Cannons. And also, I added a few weapon ports, not unlike the Kelvin's beam phasers. So yeah..... as you can tell, im very pissed Enterprise was cancelled and we got no onscreen views of the Romulan war. oh well, we always got the books.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/78875c79513234
Old May 7 2010, 06:31 AM   #7
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

cool 3rd version of this class
Old May 13 2010, 12:49 AM   #8
rodsmale84
Ensign

Finished with one last version from about 10 years into the life of the UFP. The NY class would be renamed Lexington class and would have undergone one last MAJOR refit which included the addition of a secondary hull. With the addition of technology from the other founding worlds, the Lexington class would be bumped up big time it terms capabilities, becoming one of the Federations 1st frontline cruisers/explorers.

Just for the sake of it, I made up a little scale chart showing the NY class in its various configurations when compared to the Kelvin and the new Enterprise. the scales are about right as far as I can guess, with the Kelvin coming in at about 450m, the Enterprise at 725m, and the NY hovering around 225m. Credit to SURICATA for his Kelvin and Enterprise.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/ae2a4280279154

http://www.imagebam.com/image/6552cb80279156

Last edited by rodsmale84; May 13 2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old May 13 2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Very nice stuff
Old May 13 2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Grooovy
Irishman is online now   Reply With Quote