Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 28 2010, 04:00 AM   #16
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

Re: Brad Bird all but confirmed as "Mission: Impossible IV" director

I just looked up Brad Bird on IMDB, and I'm not familiar with any of his work.

Last week I went back and rewatched all three MI movies and still found them to be enjoyable films. It is a very interesting series, because each movie has a different director and style.

MI1: This movie is a good solid spy thriller with a complex plot. It has some good action set pieces, but doesn't rely on them to carry the film. The scene where Hunt descends from the ceiling is classic. Grade: B

MI2: This movie is stylishly directed, but has little substance. I didn't feel much emotional connection to the characters. I consider this to be the weakest film in the series, but still a decent action movie. Grade: C

MI3: This movie is my favorite in the series. I think it strikes a nice balance between the action-oriented second film and the more intelligent first film. This movie did a good job making me care about Ethan and his wife. Ethan seemed more real and fleshed out in this movie. Grade: A
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2010, 06:04 AM   #17
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

I would imagine directing live action and animation is about as different as any two completely different professions.
Old May 28 2010, 01:09 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

WeAreTheBorg wrote: View Post
I would imagine directing live action and animation is about as different as any two completely different professions.
A number of live-action directors started out in animation, though -- Tim Burton and Terry Gilliam being the examples that spring most readily to mind. Also Frank Tashlin, who directed numerous Warner Bros. cartoons before moving on to direct features such as Artists and Models, The Girl Can't Help It, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?, and several Jerry Lewis films. Simon Wells directed the live-action The Time Machine remake after having directed such animated films as An American Tail: Feivel Goes West, Balto, and The Prince of Egypt. Noted animation director Ralph Bakshi has done some live-action films and television shows, and a lot of his films have been hybrids of live-action and animation. Pixar's Andrew Stanton is directing the upcoming live-action John Carter of Mars. Rob Minkoff, director of The Lion King, moved to live action with the Stuart Little films (which were halfway animation), The Haunted Mansion, and The Forbidden Kingdom.

The jobs aren't that fundamentally different. They both tend to begin with storyboards. They both involve taking a script and figuring out how to translate it into visual form. Animation is a great place to learn about pacing, editing, composition, color, movement, etc., because you have to plan all of it out in far more meticulous detail than you do in live action. Animators who move into live action tend to bring a very vivid sense of visual design and composition, an excellent sense of timing, and the like.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 01:12 AM   #19
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

T'Baio wrote: View Post
Who's in your avatar, Jetfire?
Jetfire wrote: View Post
^
Classic film star Rita Hayworth.

T'Baio wrote: View Post
That's what I thought. I've never seen that pic before, it's a good one.
Women of that era literally defined and oozed sexiness without trying even the slightest. Rita, Lauren Bacall, Raquel Welch, Linda Harrison.. oh myy!

Unlike many 'stars' of today that think exposing blatantly is sexy.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 08:23 AM   #20
Aragorn
Admiral

If anyone cares, in the casting department, Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg are coming back and Jeremy Renner is going to star opposite Tom Cruise.

Rumor has it the movie may not even be called Mission: Impossible IV.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 08:34 AM   #21
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Mission: Impossible - Episode IV: A New Mission.

I'm glad Simon Pegg is returning. He was awesome in the last one.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 09:54 AM   #22
Harvey
Admiral

Rhames is always fun to have around, and Pegg is a welcome addition to anything he's in, so those are both good choices. And it's nice to know Cruise is being brought back for at least one more--like it or not, as far as the movie series goes, he's it.

And Renner deserves to be in more and better films, or in the very least, blockbusters that have a higher profile than, say, S.W.A.T.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 03:40 PM   #23
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Rumor has it the movie may not even be called Mission: Impossible IV.
Any idea what the rumored alternate title(s) may be?

I can't see a reason to not call it MI:IV-insert subtitle if necessary here.

Granted all Bond movies don't contain Bond nor do Jack Ryan adventures, but all Bourne ones do so far and the jury is out on another Salt(its 50/50 for a sequel right now).
The MI films just work simply being numerical. I hope this rumor is unfounded.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 03:44 PM   #24
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

It's going to be called Mission: Unpossible
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 03:48 PM   #25
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Hopefully they'll pass the torch over to Renner. Cruise needs another juicy role like his character from Magnolia!
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 05:10 PM   #26
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I'm not interested in a 4th Mission Impossible movie, especially not with JJ Abrams involved. Both Woo's and De Palma's attempt weren't great to begin with, but Abrams really managed to bastardize the entire concept. In addition to John Woo's action frenzy, IMF was not a faceless organization anymore (including many, many scenes in a shiny headquarter), the agent had a family, etc... . Basically it was the movie version of Alias (it even had a nutty lab technician coming up with gadgets for Sydney, err, Hunt). And again the bad guy gets beaten in a fist fight. Yawn. That's what Mission: Impossible was all about. They only good thing about this movie was the sequence in which they sneak into the Vatican, while the rest was extremely awful.

Christopher wrote: View Post
In motion pictures, the director is the lead creative force. Scriptwriters are usually perceived merely as hired contractors whose job is to tell the stories the director and producers want to tell. Even if the script is already written when the director comes in, it's just considered a guideline that the director is free to modify as he goes to fit his vision, whether by rewriting it before production, engaging in on-set improvisation during shooting, or altering its content in post-production through editing and dialogue replacement.
Yet in the writer strike it seemed a director could not do any changes at all.

Last edited by JarodRussell; August 27 2010 at 05:23 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 07:46 PM   #27
Harvey
Admiral

Didn't we see IMF's shiny headquarters as part of the CIA in the first movie? How is the depiction of the organization in the third movie any different than that?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 12:13 AM   #28
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
And Renner deserves to be in more and better films, or in the very least, blockbusters that have a higher profile than, say, S.W.A.T.
Looks like The Hurt Locker proved he can be a verifiable leading actor in a blockbuster again. First he's Hawkeye in The Avengers and now he's snagged a role in Mission: Impossible IV. This should definitely re-solidify him as a leading man. That and his upcoming role in The Town.
Old August 28 2010, 02:57 AM   #29
I am not Spock
Commodore

MI is the most interesting film franchise in that there has so far been no inter movie continuity at all. The only constants, as said above, have been Tom Cruise and Ving Rhames' characters (any word on if the latter is coming back?). The directors, cast, and production staff are different on every film!

I hope Rhames and Monaghan come back.
Old August 28 2010, 03:26 AM   #30
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

^Ving Rhames is coming back. So is Simon Pegg.