Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 10 2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Haven...???

What ever became of the Tarellians?
Did Wyatt Miller fine a cure for their plague?
Old May 10 2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: Haven...???

I don't know, and it might be saying about my appreciation of that aspect of the episode that I haven't been too curious about it. I guess we can hope that he found a cure, because the alternative is just too awful to contemplate: that his whole "destiny" was just to fail. I could see that happening in a Philip K. Dick novel, but not in televised Trek.

Now, figuring out how much Mr. Homn could drink before passing out, that's a question that keeps me up at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2010, 12:08 AM   #3
Lor'Vela
Captain

It's just one of those events where it is left to the viewer's imagination. Best answer is: Who knows? But personally speaking I'd like to think a cure was found.
Old May 11 2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Wyatt didn't find a cure, but fell in love with the woman of his visions. They had children, all immune to the plague. Thus, the race was saved.

Why not?
Old May 11 2010, 02:32 PM   #5
GeorgeKirk
Commodore

View GeorgeKirk's Twitter Profile

No, but he did find a cure to their other terrible affliction: '80s hair.
Old May 11 2010, 03:52 PM   #6
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Johnnyracefan wrote: View Post
What ever became of the Tarellians?
Did Wyatt Miller fine a cure for their plague?

Wasn't there a novel written about this? I could be mistaken...
Old May 11 2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Green Shirt
Commodore

GeorgeKirk wrote: View Post
No, but he did find a cure to their other terrible affliction: '80s hair.

Hey!! I had '80s hair!!

Now I have '00s hair, 1/4 inch long and 10 follicles per square centimeter.
Old May 11 2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Never really one of my favorites. I didn't care for the later-liberated Lxwana insisting on an arranged marriage; Wyatt's folks were supposedly the ones who demanded it, and yet Wyatt's Mom obviously could not stand Lxwana in the slightest--and what damn right Earth (or Earth colony) parents have to hold their son to such an arrangement is beyond me. The whole R/T conflict reminded me of the then-recent Nightwing/Starfire breakup in Titans, under similar circumstances. Also, the ep introduces the insistent 'we have it good so kill for us to maintain it' kind of species (Haven's people) that we saw all too often in the 24th Century shows.

But one thing worth mentioning : When it was rerun (sometime in 94), I had a TV with direct headphone inputs. For my roommates' sakes, I put them on--a pair of Denon HP's with an incredible range. When everyone walked into the reception, and there's a hundred conversations going on at once--I could hear clearly what some of the other conversations were. Kudos to the producers for putting in actual chit-chat in the background.
Old May 12 2010, 10:07 AM   #9
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Once the Wormhole was discovered, they went to the Gamma Quadrant in search of an unpopulated planet on which to live out the rest of their lives in peace.

Unfortunately for them, the Jem'Hadar got ahold of them first and killed them. That's how the Dominion first learned of the Federation.

Why not?
Old May 12 2010, 12:47 PM   #10
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Gojirob wrote: View Post
Never really one of my favorites. I didn't care for the later-liberated Lxwana insisting on an arranged marriage;
Well Spock is very logical most of the time...then there is pon farr...an ancient ritual too. We've seen some advanced cultures that also have old societal or biologically based customs.
Old May 12 2010, 12:56 PM   #11
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Very fair point. But to Spock, this was a thing well-known and understood--a when, not an if. Lxwana's insistence seemed casual and 'Oh I Just Remembered!'. The arranged marriage part--at least for the Betazoids involved---is perfectly comprehensible, if a bit OOC IMO for later Lxwana. To me, it was a bunch of other things that didn't quite meet up that drove an allowable cultural difference into the annoyance zone.
Old May 12 2010, 01:02 PM   #12
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

For dumping a chic Greek like Marina for a diseased Daryl Hannah wannabe, Wyatt deserved death.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 02:10 PM   #13
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Is it me, or would later-seasons Picard find the psychic connection between Wyatt and the young woman to be "damned suspicious, and more than a bit convenient for the Tarellians"? In later eps, I think even the 'I've seen her all my life' part might be called into question, as memories can be manipulated. In S1, it is this serene destined thing. I can't help but feel that later seasons and shows would have thrown a little cold water on these notions. Whether that's a good thing is hard to say.
Old May 12 2010, 04:05 PM   #14
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Chalk that up to Season 1's lightweight concepts, like Amazon planet, African planet, hardbodied nympho planet, invisible child stealing planet...
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote