New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old March 18 2010, 04:03 AM   #1
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

I don't get the Captain Robau Love

Seriously. Don't get me wrong, I don't really see anything wrong with the guy, and the "Facts About Captain Robau" thread is very funny, but I'm really not understanding why Trekdom is having a collective geekgasm over him.

The thing I'm really not understanding is why people are saying he's such a badass when he gets killed in about 5 minutes of screentime.

Is this like a Boba Fett thing, where everyone thinks he's cool just because he looks cool? Can someone please explain it to me?
Old March 18 2010, 04:10 AM   #2
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: I don't get the Captain Robau Love

Well, for one, he's one of the few non-main character captains who isn't a complete, utter tit (Esteban, Harriman, anyone?). And he talked smack. Harriman would have shat himself and Esteban would have called Starfleet to see if they had any ideas.

He doesn't just look badass, though. He clearly knows his shit.
Old March 18 2010, 04:21 AM   #3
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

JonnyQuest037 wrote: View Post
Seriously. Don't get me wrong, I don't really see anything wrong with the guy, and the "Facts About Captain Robau" thread is very funny, but I'm really not understanding why Trekdom is having a collective geekgasm over him.

The thing I'm really not understanding is why people are saying he's such a badass when he gets killed in about 5 minutes of screentime.

Is this like a Boba Fett thing, where everyone thinks he's cool just because he looks cool? Can someone please explain it to me?
If you'll check the start date for the "Facts About Captain Robau" thread, you'll find not only that it began long before the movie hit the theaters, but that it began just after the casting of Faran Tahir for the role had been announced and we found out the character's name (previously given only as "Federation captain".) Also, you may notice, at the beginning of that thread, a certain similarity to the "Facts About Chuck Norris" lists which were proliferating on the interwebs two or three years ago (do a Google search if you've not seen these.) Basically, the "Captain Robau" thread is a parody of those lists, or started off that way.

You might, if you looked, find previous threads in this forum posted by people asking the same questions you're asking here. We try to explain, but in a sense, you really had to be there; coming on it a year and a half or two years later just isn't the same.

As for the Boba Fett thing, I never got that one.
Old March 18 2010, 04:48 AM   #4
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
If you'll check the start date for the "Facts About Captain Robau" thread, you'll find not only that it began long before the movie hit the theaters, but that it began just after the casting of Faran Tahir for the role had been announced and we found out the character's name (previously given only as "Federation captain".) Also, you may notice, at the beginning of that thread, a certain similarity to the "Facts About Chuck Norris" lists which were proliferating on the interwebs two or three years ago (do a Google search if you've not seen these.) Basically, the "Captain Robau" thread is a parody of those lists, or started off that way.
Yeah, I got the Chuck Norris parody aspect, but I just thought there was an additional reason. I wasn't on here much at that time, so I guess the joke was a bit lost on me.

Does Faran Tahir really have that much of a reputation as a badass, though? The "killed in five minutes after passively following the badguy's orders" thing kinda kills any badassery for me.

As for the Boba Fett thing, I never got that one.
Me neither. It's fine to look cool, just be sure to, you know, actually do something cool to back it up. Boba only looks badass from the waist up, anyway. The dude's wearing sweatpants & sneakers.
Old March 18 2010, 04:54 AM   #5
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Well, for one, he's one of the few non-main character captains who isn't a complete, utter tit (Esteban, Harriman, anyone?). And he talked smack.

Can you explain this a bit more, Herkimer Jitty? I rewatched the movie just a couple of nights ago, and I don't recall ANY Robau smack-talking. He just followed Nero's orders when he was told to fly over in a shuttlecraft and then got killed a couple of minutes later. Outside of leaving George Kirk in charge, how did he know his shit?

And I have to say, if being a badass is defined as "being more impressive than Esteban or Harriman", then the bar's being set WAY low.
Old March 18 2010, 05:02 AM   #6
muzzleflash
Lieutenant Commander

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Well, for one, he's one of the few non-main character captains who isn't a complete, utter tit (Esteban, Harriman, anyone?). And he talked smack.

Can you explain this a bit more, Herkimer Jitty? I rewatched the movie just a couple of nights ago, and I don't recall ANY Robau smack-talking. He just followed Nero's orders when he was told to fly over in a shuttlecraft and then got killed a couple of minutes later. Outside of leaving George Kirk in charge, how did he know his shit?

And I have to say, if being a badass is defined as "being more impressive than Esteban or Harriman", then the bar's being set WAY low.
Basically, Nero and his gang were being all threatening and whatnot, and instead of begging for his life or something any rational person would do, Robau is all like, "lol wut"
Old March 18 2010, 06:33 AM   #7
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Yeah, I got the Chuck Norris parody aspect, but I just thought there was an additional reason. I wasn't on here much at that time, so I guess the joke was a bit lost on me.

Does Faran Tahir really have that much of a reputation as a badass, though? The "killed in five minutes after passively following the badguy's orders" thing kinda kills any badassery for me.
Everything was going to be badass, back then. There were threads about how Spock was going to be badass, etc., etc.; badass was in the air, and Robau being badass was just part of a natural progression -- the filmmakers even told us he would be. The first picture we saw of him (on the now-vanished Intel "boldly go" website) was the one seen in this post. Looked pretty badass to us.
Old March 18 2010, 07:21 AM   #8
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

And, as I predicted, the Romulans were totally Badass™.
Old March 18 2010, 07:24 AM   #9
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

Yeah, it's kind of a random thread, but it's hilarious! I really didn't even know much about the Kelvin's captain and then I was looking for general trek XI info and stumbled across this thread on BBS. I LOLed so hard that I created an account just for the thread. As for why everyone thinks he is badass and cool, I guess there was a need among certain trek fans to have a chuck norris of star trek character and Robau happened to fit the bill.

It's a cult of personality thing. Reading "Facts About Captain Robau" is on par with a religious experience.
Old March 18 2010, 07:26 AM   #10
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Funny thread....

Dummy of a captain.

"Just come to my ship and I won't kill you."

Uh, okay, I'll come right over!

"Shi....that worked?? You've gotta be...oh, is this thing still on?"

Let's see what's out there...
Old March 18 2010, 08:09 AM   #11
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Nope, not much more to it than that. Keep in mind, this was back in the day when we had essentially zero information about the film, and the biggest announcements were things like like "There's a captain at the start of the film. Here's a photo of him." All we had was speculation, rumor, fan in-fighting, and, finally – thanks to the forum being created six months earlier than it needed to be due to the film's release date being moved – in-jokes. It's the same reason we all wore sombreros for months.

You really did have to be there.
Old March 18 2010, 08:42 AM   #12
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post

You really did have to be there.
....and drunk.

Massively drunk.

Old March 18 2010, 08:48 AM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Kirk1980 wrote: View Post
Funny thread....

Dummy of a captain.

"Just come to my ship and I won't kill you."

Uh, okay, I'll come right over!

"Shi....that worked?? You've gotta be...oh, is this thing still on?"
He knew he was going to his death. Thats why he said to Kirk
Robau wrote:
Use auto pilot...and get off this ship. You're Captain now, Mister Kirk.
Old March 18 2010, 09:20 AM   #14
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

He did?

Why give himself up?

Old March 18 2010, 09:29 AM   #15
Daneel
Rear Admiral

How about to buy his crew enough time to evacuate?
Closed Thread