Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 6 2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Madonna overtakes Beatles as most played artist in Britain

Madonna overtakes Beatles as most played artist in Britain
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: Madonna overtakes Beatles as most played artist in Britain

I'm surprised Queen are only 4th on that list, i'd have expected them to be no.1 in the UK to be honest.

The fact that Robbie fuckin Williams gets more airplay than Queen is both disgusting and depressing.
Old April 6 2010, 09:09 PM   #3
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

The fact that Madonna still gets that much airplay is fairly depressing.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 09:14 PM   #4
DrEvil
Fleet Captain

It's probably an honorary award because she tries to talk with that fake British accent nowadays. Isn't she from Michigan originally not Liverpool?
Old April 6 2010, 10:36 PM   #5
I am not Spock
Commodore

I find this fact very depressing indeed. Freaking Madonna?
Old April 7 2010, 01:52 AM   #6
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
I find this fact very depressing indeed. Freaking Madonna?
Like it as not, she has fans, many of them in the gay community. Also, she's been singing as long as the Beatles have, maybe even longer. Plus, dance music is very popular in England, unlike here in North America.

And she's friends with Paul McCartney! So there.
Old April 7 2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Shit.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
Shit.
Tough shit, Nardpuncher: Brits aren't expected to be all Beatlefans for most of their lives, you know. There is other music in Britain to listen to, and most people listen to it; that music is dance music (disco, house, acid house, techno, electronica, etc.) It's to be expected in a country that has no 'classic rock' radio stations blaring 24-7/365, and Madonna is one of the most popular artists that does dance music.
Old April 7 2010, 12:15 PM   #9
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Dear internet,
Absolutely disgusting. Oh, and I don't know anybody who actually likes dance music. In fact, most people I know would rather listen to a million nails scraping a million chalkboards than 99% of electronic music.

Sincerely, a British "Beatlefan" for life (who would very much like for there to be several 'classic rock' radios stations blaring 24/7)
P.S: Madonna sucks

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999

Last edited by Geckothan; April 7 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2010, 12:15 PM   #10
byron lomax
Commander

I'm not actually against Madonna because of the style of music she does, or for the concept or image she projects. But I've never been too impressed with most of her actual musical output, and very few of her songs are classics in my eyes.

I would say she's more "pop" than dance overall though, even if she does incorporate various dance styles into her music.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Shit.
Tough shit, Nardpuncher: Brits aren't expected to be all Beatlefans for most of their lives, you know. There is other music in Britain to listen to, and most people listen to it; that music is dance music (disco, house, acid house, techno, electronica, etc.) It's to be expected in a country that has no 'classic rock' radio stations blaring 24-7/365, and Madonna is one of the most popular artists that does dance music.
You're weird.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2010, 02:36 PM   #12
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

It's so unimportant. There are far more radio stations now than in the sixties and since the Beatles are no longer recording new material and She it is not that suprising. Most stations play current chart music. She won't be most played 40 years after she stops recording and what is more on that day she will have dropped back behind the Beatles because at the the end of the day their music will shine longer than her's.

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2010, 02:54 PM   #13
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Pah.

To hell with this.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2010, 05:05 PM   #14
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Geckothan wrote: View Post
Dear internet,
Absolutely disgusting. Oh, and I don't know anybody who actually likes dance music. In fact, most people I know would rather listen to a million nails scraping a million chalkboards than 99% of electronic music.

Sincerely, a British "Beatlefan" for life (who would very much like for there to be several 'classic rock' radios stations blaring 24/7)
P.S: Madonna sucks
Like I said, to you, Madonna and most dance music sucks; to the rest of Britain (and Europe), it doesn't. There are a lot more people listening to dance than you would think, obviously due to the number of stations that play dance music in London and other cities. Not everybody wants to live stuck in the past like you, and this heterosexual North American fan of both the Beatles and Madonna is glad that the Material Girl has trumped the Fab Four, and also that there are no oldies stations stinking up the airwaves with Classic Rot in Britain. Would that North American could only be as open to new music as their British & European cousins are.

Besides, you can always get your Beatles fix at HMV or Virgin whenever there's a sale.

stoneroses wrote: View Post
It's so unimportant. There are far more radio stations now than in the sixties and since the Beatles are no longer recording new material and She it is not that surprising. Most stations play current chart music. She won't be most played 40 years after she stops recording and what is more on that day she will have dropped back behind the Beatles because at the the end of the day their music will shine longer than her's.
Not bloody likely. I'll bet that Lady Gaga will be the one they go 'gaga' for in the future, or some other new artist, vis a vis the classic status the Beatles now have; by then, Classic Rock will have died off due to the death of the 50's, 60's, and 70's generations that nurtured it, and any radio that exists will be playing new artists like they used to back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, with occasional flashbacks to the past.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; April 7 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old April 7 2010, 05:19 PM   #15
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Shit.
You're weird.
I am? Go to England and see for yourself, then.