Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 9 2010, 06:33 PM   #76
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: HP's competition for the iPad!

You have to remember it's not really just a war against Flash but all plug-ins. Flash just happens to be the largest of them and the most used. You can't watch a QuickTime video either from the web. The new Microsoft windows phones supposedly doesn't support Flash as well but there is no outcry about that, yet.

Yes, Apple could included everything in a first generation product, but then the price would be astronomical. By bringing a well made item, that's very revolutionary in at a price that people are willing to pay is important to build a brand. Apple sold a ton of the original iPhone at $699. for the 16gb version. Now people are complaining about paying $599 for the 32gb version of the iPad. You also have to allow for growth and gained knowledge when going into something new. With each generation the product will get better from the knowledge gained from the previous version.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 11:55 PM   #77
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Well, someone cares about HTML5. Apparently Mozilla just cherrypicked one of the best programmers at my company to help them bring Ogg Theora up to spec.
Mozilla isn't going to get anywhere with their Ogg fixation. They're the only company whose browser doesn't support H.264 in HTML5 streaming and they're deluded if they really think that Ogg will break out and become an honest-to-God standard.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2010, 12:15 AM   #78
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Perhaps. But I get the impression they really don't want to be patent-encumbered.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2010, 11:00 PM   #79
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Information on the HP Slate with Pictures Below!

http://conecti.ca/2010/04/15/mini-re...la-ni-de-frio/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/h...-hour-battery/

Looks to be bulkier than an iPad

More features though, less price, specially for the 64GB version

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2010, 12:40 AM   #80
Flavius
Vice Admiral

^ Wrong OS, though.

And I already bought two iPads.
Old April 20 2010, 02:20 AM   #81
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/h...-the-wild-meh/

So the first real iPad competition is a Meh. Sorry to hear that, the article says it's really slow. I for one enjoy competition, i think it makes you better. When people have a choice, you are forced to make a better product. So I hope that these other people come out with great competition for the iPad.

Posted from my iPad.

Old April 20 2010, 03:23 AM   #82
mswood
Rear Admiral

Yeah, as much as I love the Ipad (its the first WOW device for me from apple, as it hits what I have been wanting for so very long), but I always want competition. Competition brings down prices, brings innovation, and basically makes multiple companies work there asses off to get their product better and better.

It truly is a good thing.
Old April 20 2010, 04:31 AM   #83
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Aggressive. Adversarial.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2010, 08:17 PM   #84
Data Holmes
Admiral

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...ls-to-impress/

...played with an early version of the Slate is not impressed. The OS takes too long to load, which can be “annoying."

...says HP’s tablet is more of a competitor for netbooks than the Apple iPad.

Not surprised.
Old April 22 2010, 12:55 AM   #85
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...ls-to-impress/

...played with an early version of the Slate is not impressed. The OS takes too long to load, which can be “annoying."

...says HP’s tablet is more of a competitor for netbooks than the Apple iPad.

Not surprised.
With these previews so far, I'm still leaning toward the iPad right now for me. I want competition for the iPad, but the HP Slate does not look like it.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2010, 01:57 PM   #86
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

My day job right now is selling eReaders at a certain book retailer and have officially grown sick and tired of people coming in to wave their iPad in front of me trying to get me to argue about the two as if they were even in the same range of product. The douchebaggery of these people (mostly middle aged I notice, the younger folks are much less obnoxious a a whole and seem to understand the aforementioned vast difference between them.) is some of the worst I've ever encountered in my daily life. After using one for a while the other day I honestly have to say:

"Cool, but not THAT cool. Now go eat a dick."

As far as the Slate, it looks pretty much like what I expected, thicker, less elegant, but with a brilliant display. Having a proper OS and being able to actually run desktop-level programs is obviously going to be slower than a super-streamlined system like the iPad. A shame it seems to be lacking even more than expected though. Alas. Maybe next year.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2010, 02:11 PM   #87
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Small form-factor PCs, such as UMPCs and slates, are woefully underpowered. I've said it before and I'll say it again: x86 is too heavy an architecture for such devices. But no one wants to put the work in to, say, develop a slick Linux distro and run it on an ARM-based processor.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2010, 05:21 PM   #88
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

Venardhi wrote: View Post
My day job right now is selling eReaders at a certain book retailer and have officially grown sick and tired of people coming in to wave their iPad in front of me trying to get me to argue about the two as if they were even in the same range of product. The douchebaggery of these people (mostly middle aged I notice, the younger folks are much less obnoxious a a whole and seem to understand the aforementioned vast difference between them.) is some of the worst I've ever encountered in my daily life. After using one for a while the other day I honestly have to say:

As far as the Slate, it looks pretty much like what I expected, thicker, less elegant, but with a brilliant display. Having a proper OS and being able to actually run desktop-level programs is obviously going to be slower than a super-streamlined system like the iPad. A shame it seems to be lacking even more than expected though. Alas. Maybe next year.
As an iPad owner, I agree with you. I don't understand the need to compare unless your doing justification. I never liked the need to shout down another product because you like another product better.

I can honestly say I was going to buy the Nook, I liked it way better then the Kindle and I really wanted to get into e-book reading. However I kept hearing the rumors of what would become the iPad. So I held out and I'm happy I did, for I am very happy with the iPad. However that in no way diminish the fact that the Nook is an awesome and useful device. So why should I trash it, it is the best at what it does. (IMHO)

Just like people trashing the iPad because its not a laptop. Its not ment to be a laptop, it is in between. While I don't know if it will always be the best, it is to me right now. I can see myself being very productive with it for many years to come. I have already used it for Powerpoint presentations, so I don't have to lug my Macbook Pro around. I can access my e-mail and the web at book stores and Starbucks in a few seconds and enjoy doing so. As much as I love my iPhone, its not the same satisfaction. To me its a total win but I get some people just don't see it that way and I'm not going to yell at you if you don't.

Old April 23 2010, 08:30 AM   #89
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post

But then... the iPad is just a really cool... mirror. Which makes is a perfect eBook reader...
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 06:37 AM   #90
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

On the topic of nook: i am posting from mine right now at work and able to legitmately say i am testing out product features.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote