Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 8 2010, 06:08 PM   #61
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Re: HP's competition for the iPad!

isn't that what happened on Flashforward?
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2010, 08:04 PM   #62
Data Holmes
Admiral

So the new iPhone os was announced today: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...phone_4_0.html

Multitasking is a feature.
Old April 8 2010, 09:24 PM   #63
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
So the new iPhone os was announced today: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...phone_4_0.html

Good to hear, and I saw that it is coming to iPad this fall. So, multitasking will finally be supported on the iPhone (iPhone 3GS only though, the 3G won't support it) and on the iPad. However, still no Flash.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2010, 09:28 PM   #64
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

Yay Apple! Welcome to 15 years ago (latest hardware only).
Old April 8 2010, 11:19 PM   #65
Flavius
Vice Admiral

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post

where are the ones that can roll up like paper??? THATS what I'm waiting for!!!

Rob
I'll be in line as well.
Old April 9 2010, 12:25 AM   #66
The Baby Stig
Rear Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post

Good to hear, and I saw that it is coming to iPad this fall. So, multitasking will finally be supported on the iPhone (iPhone 3GS only though, the 3G won't support it) and on the iPad. However, still no Flash.
And my venerable aluminum 2G iPhone gets the shaft.

It bears noting that the iPad has sold nearly a half million units since launch. If it continues on a decent pace, Apple could outsell every other tablet PC combined in 2010.

All we know is, he's The Baby Stig.
The Baby Stig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 02:04 AM   #67
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Shaw wrote: View Post
Software verification (software activation) is a form of vendor lock-in and vendor control. I gave examples of egregious practices...
Do you understand how Windows Genuine Advantage works?

Okay, here's a description: You reinstall Windows and either fail to enter a key, enter an incorrect key, or enter a key that's already in use in another computer. Windows still installs. You try to activate it online and it fails. You are given 30 days to enter a valid key. If you fail to enter a valid key at the end of 30 days... it nags you every once in a while that you might be running a counterfeit version of Windows. You can still download critical updates, but you can't install the optional updates. You can still use your computer however you want to, you can install and run software, it's just that every once in a while you get a notification.

This is egregious?

I'm no fan of WGA, it's irritating and it just doesn't work (sometimes giving false positives, sometimes giving false negatives). And Vista's original implementation of the system was several steps too far; after the 30 days expired almost all you could do with your computer was use it to buy a licence key online. But that was apparently patched out with SP1 to make it do what XP did.

If Microsoft collapsed tomorrow I think you can now agree that reinstalling Windows wouldn't be such a big deal (unless you had a Vista RTM disc) and that even the nuisance that is the counterfeit notifications would easily be taken away by a hack. The bigger deal would be that the Windows Updates servers would also be wiped out and you wouldn't be able to download security patches, and Windows needs regular security patches. That's a reason not to use Windows after the apocalypse, the verification issue is not.

Another example would be Amazon and it's ability to repossess books after you've bought them on the Kindle. Apparently when you buy books for the kindle, you aren't buying them in the same sense as you buy books at a book store.
One of the reasons why I don't have a Kindle. That and the fact that I'm poor.

My point has been, and always will be, that once purchased a software product (or computer product) should be able to stand on it's own... divorced from the original company.
I completely agree with you on this. But I also remember how back in the 90s Windows 95 and 98 discs were being passed around and installed by people who didn't buy them. Almost everyone I knew that had a computer back in those days had Win 95 or 98, but I knew precisely one person who had actually bought it. Hell, I used to borrow the disc from them and loan it to my school friends and I had no idea what I was doing was illegal.

See, that's what WGA is all about, stopping casual computer users from loaning their Windows disc to their friends and letting them install a single licence on a dozen computers. If you're a reasonably experienced Windows user you'll know how to to circumvent it. Hell, I know how to install a single licence onto multiple computers without resorting to cracks but by using Microsoft's own services (not that I'd ever do such a thing, of course ). If you know about computers the validation system isn't a road-block, it's not even a traffic light. It's a temporary speed limit at most.

Your straw man tactic aside, I've made very clear my position on this.
Actually, you've made it very hazy, but I digress.

It was silly for both Microsoft and Apple, but you seem to wish to labor on the Microsoft aspect of my argument, so lets let you continue...
Because you used it as a flawed example in a failed attempt to criticise Microsoft. You want to criticise Microsoft for vendor lock-in? The Xbox 360 is a great example of Microsoft's "evil" tendencies. If you want to buy a harddrive for it you have to buy a Microsoft branded harddrive which is hugely inflated in cost. They refuse to include a web browser so that you have to use their services, or the services of companies they have contracts with. If you mod your 360 for any reason they block it from being able to go online. And that's before I even mention its giant failure rate.

Well, beyond the fact that it seems that pirates have the same types of solutions for the iPhone/iPad (and yet this is still an issue for Apple, but not for Microsoft)...
If you hack a pirated version of Windows you can do everything can do on a regular version of Windows. Now, I had heard that if you jailbroke your iPhone you couldn't use the App Store anymore, but after doing some research it appears I may be wrong about that. If that's the case then I'll hold up my hands and admit my mistake.

That was one of the examples I gave about the playforsure server being shutdown.

Why no patch to permanently fix the issue for their customers there?
I know very little about the playsforsure issue, I've only ever bought unrestricted mp3. If it is the case that they abandoned their customers I'm not going to defend them.

I was very specific in my characterization of my Windows experiences in that quote. I said nothing misleading about where I was coming from.
Perhaps not, but you still said very misleading things. It may not have been your intention, but when it came to Windows verification you were incorrect in almost every way. I'm sorry, but it's hard to see how someone involved in the tech world as substantially as you claim to be over the last decade could possibly have been so incorrect without being so on purpose, but I am willing to accept that it was an honest mistake since you apparently don't use Windows.

I accept that I misread your intentions and that you weren't defending Apple. I hope you can understand why I felt that way.
Old April 9 2010, 05:19 AM   #68
mswood
Rear Admiral

I was reading at work (But I don't remember the site) that they gave rough estimate price for the HP line.

Anyone have the link?

It said tha tit was more expensive the Ipad release of same HD size (but it does have more options so I do understand that), but for some who wanted more features and a lower price it doesn't not appear to be this release.

Also at least with the phone the multitasking will be a software update (I can't recall if they said the same about the ipad, though since I believe it should be the same, but I easily could be wrong).
Old April 9 2010, 06:27 AM   #69
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

mswood wrote: View Post
I was reading at work (But I don't remember the site) that they gave rough estimate price for the HP line.

Anyone have the link?

It said tha tit was more expensive the Ipad release of same HD size (but it does have more options so I do understand that), but for some who wanted more features and a lower price it doesn't not appear to be this release.

Also at least with the phone the multitasking will be a software update (I can't recall if they said the same about the ipad, though since I believe it should be the same, but I easily could be wrong).
I believe it is listed at being $550-599, depending on hard drive size. Not bad really, especially given that the iPad can go a lot higher with all the options available for it.
Old April 9 2010, 06:31 AM   #70
Data Holmes
Admiral

mswood wrote: View Post

Anyone have the link?

No link, but I read a similar bit. The HP was going to be starting around $50 to $60 more than the base model ipad for the base model slate. However some tech heads are saying that the battery life for the slate may be as short as 3 hours (worst case) depending on use, based on the atom chip and windows 7 combination and how it's fared in the past. The atom chip also may have some heat issues in the slate's configuration as well, which means the device may run hot.

iPad gets the multi tasking iDeviceOS 4.x in the fall.
Old April 9 2010, 08:52 AM   #71
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

I think half the problem with the HP unit is trying to get decent battery life out of an x86 processor. Atoms run hot, no doubt about it. But Windows doesn't run on any other architecture, and nobody wants to sell Linux-based slates.

It would be fucking sweet if somebody came up with an ARM-based slate. (Besides the iPad, which is indeed ARM-based.)
Solstice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 01:32 PM   #72
The Baby Stig
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I think half the problem with the HP unit is trying to get decent battery life out of an x86 processor. Atoms run hot, no doubt about it. But Windows doesn't run on any other architecture, and nobody wants to sell Linux-based slates.

It would be fucking sweet if somebody came up with an ARM-based slate. (Besides the iPad, which is indeed ARM-based.)
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/10/o...ing-this-year/

Looks like there will be plenty to choose from. I'm going to be very interested to see how they do. Maybe the iPad and the various Android tablets will finally lift the tablet market out of niche-level obscurity.

All we know is, he's The Baby Stig.
The Baby Stig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 02:12 PM   #73
V'ger
Lieutenant

apple have alot of innovators working for them and its not their fault they are successful
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 02:18 PM   #74
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

The Stig wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/10/o...ing-this-year/

Looks like there will be plenty to choose from. I'm going to be very interested to see how they do. Maybe the iPad and the various Android tablets will finally lift the tablet market out of niche-level obscurity.
Damn, over 50??! At least I'll have my pick!
Solstice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 05:39 PM   #75
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Well, someone cares about HTML5. Apparently Mozilla just cherrypicked one of the best programmers at my company to help them bring Ogg Theora up to spec.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote