Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 25 2010, 06:47 PM   #136
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Re: Iron Man 2: Build up till release DISCUSSION

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
it opens a week friday!
Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
it opens a week wednesday!
Opens four days from now here ... plus there are already preview screenings in Sydney.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 08:32 PM   #137
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
It looks good! Probably outdo Inception!
Most definitely NOT.
Everyone in my office, my family and friends circle knows that Iron Man 2 is coming out. Hell, they even know they are making a new version of the Karate Kid. But nobody seems to even have it in their radar that "the director of The Dark Knight has made a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio" and most have reacted a 'meh' to the trailers I've shown them.
That's because you have lame friends?

Kidding. Honestly, look, being realistic for a second Iron Man 2 is coming out in a manner of weeks, so of course awareness is at an all-time high. Inception isn't do out for two months. Give it time. When the release date etches closer, more and more people will know about Inception.

On the topic of "Which film will do better?" (which is the sister topic of, "Which penis is bigger, yours or mine?") if I were a betting man I would say Iron Man 2 because it's a sequel to a very successful first film, based on a trademark character which has a built-in fanbase, and is the first legitimate blockbuster of the summer. Inception, on the other hand, besides being boosted by the director of The Dark Knight, a stellar cast and impressive budget, is a film based on no established material, it's not a sequel, and it comes out in the middle of summer (not that it hurt The Dark Knight). I think Inception will be financially successful, but there will have to be a lot of buzz and one hellueva marketing campaign (which there likely will be) in order for the film to be as hugely successful as Iron Man 2 will likely be.

However, this entire discussion is trivial, since you're obviously a fan of Iron Man and you want the sequel to do well, and I'm a fan of Christopher Nolan and I want Inception to do well. At the end of the day, so long as both movies are good, who the hell cares?
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 08:37 PM   #138
Aragorn
Admiral

But nobody seems to even have it in their radar that "the director of The Dark Knight has made a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio" and most have reacted a 'meh' to the trailers I've shown them.
Ask them about White Chicks 2.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 08:52 PM   #139
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Could be an Iron Man 2 concept thing - maybe even for the game. But I'm getting a cool sorta Whiplash/Crimson Dynamo vibe with it. Makes sense though, we saw him in the trailers with all those War Machine looking armors, plausible that he'd make up an uber-badass suit for the finale of the film
Old April 26 2010, 08:51 PM   #140
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Jon Favreau on directing Iron Man 3: "I feel like I'm passing the baton"...

Favreau comments on directing the upcoming Cowboys & Aliens, which is his next project starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, and comments furthermore on his involvement with The Avengers as an executive producer and his inevitable involvement as potential director of Iron Man 3. What he had to say...

"They've asked me to be an executive producer on The Avengers so I'll be there to help as much as the director would want me to. Iron Man 3 is years down the road, and that has to reflect the reality of what's been established not just in Iron Man and Iron Man 2 but in movie time, between this film and that film, is The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers. I haven't had to inherit anybody else's backstory yet -- it's just simply what we chose to use or not use from the comic books -- so I'm feeling like I'm passing the baton and after all those movies are done, it's time to sit down and discuss if there's something I can bring to it, if it's something we want to do together, but that's way down the road."
It sounds like the spectrum for how to approach a third installment would be different than how he's had to approach the first two, since Iron Man 3 would take place in the wake of all those movies and storylines, so it'd be interesting to see how a third film would be done given the context of those movies and those storylines and how the characters progress from there.

Note: It is also interesting to note that according to Favreau, Tony Stark's cameo in The Incredible Hulk takes places chronologically speaking after the events of Iron Man 2.
Old April 26 2010, 09:16 PM   #141
T'Baio
Admiral

Note: It is also interesting to note that according to Favreau, Tony Stark's cameo in The Incredible Hulk takes places chronologically speaking after the events of Iron Man 2.
You're a little behind on that one, JA...that's been established for some time.

Finally, you're not in the know on something!
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 09:28 PM   #142
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
You're a little behind on that one, JA...that's been established for some time.

Finally, you're not in the know on something!
I found out on Twitter some time ago. I just felt the need to make that... you know. Known.
Old April 27 2010, 03:08 AM   #143
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Yeah but it really makes very little matter honestly... if it happened after IM1 or IM2... but yeah, isn't IM2 only supposed to take place like a couple of months after Iron Man 1 so yeah, I can buy the cameo was after Iron Man 2.

What I'm curious to see is how they'll work in the Demon in a Bottle storyline and yet still have time for an Armor Wars story. Because I heard scuttlebutt that Tony does sort of lose a battle with a bottle and goes a bit nutso... but pulls it together - much like the original comic - pretty quickly. Or so it appears. But I do hope they don't just have Tony get drunk, kick some ass in armor. Feel really sorry, pour his booze down the drain and have him go charging into the next adventure hopped up on Mountain Dew.
Old April 27 2010, 04:43 AM   #144
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
But I do hope they don't just have Tony get drunk, kick some ass in armor. Feel really sorry, pour his booze down the drain and have him go charging into the next adventure hopped up on Mountain Dew.
If I'm remembering correctly, Favreau has always said that he's not planning on directly tackling the "Demon in a Bottle" storyline, but rather having some minor subplots related to it ... and, really, that's the best idea.

All of the best superhero movies have taken the iconic stories of their respective characters and boiled them down to the most basic plot points, integrating them into the larger story. Demon in a Bottle, boiled down to the core plot points is: "I'm not an alcoholic; OK, I'm an alcoholic; now I'm not an alcoholic." If anyone can think of a way to shove that in as a secondary story without dragging the rest of the movie down, be my guest.

Then again, it would be interesting to have him fuck up as Iron Man because he's drunk by having him crash head-first into a government building or blow up a school bus. Then, he can show up at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in the Iron Man suit and have one of the grizzled AA veterans say, "Tony, it's time to take off your mask and take a good hard look at yourself." And Tony takes off his mask to reveal tears rolling down his cheeks, and everyone shares a heartfelt hug.

I'd almost be willing to let a movie be ruined just to have that committed to film.

Last edited by Timby; April 27 2010 at 06:27 AM.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 05:01 AM   #145
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
All of the best superhero movies have taken the iconic stories of their respective characters and boiled them down to the most basic plot points, integrating them into the larger story. Demon in a Bottle, boiled down to the core plot points is: "I'm not an alchoholic; OK, I'm an alchoholic; now I'm not an alchoholic." If anyone can think of a way to shove that in as a secondary story without dragging the rest of the movie down, be my guest.
That's fairly easy; Tony breaks under the pressure of whatever the villain is doing, pulls himself out of it, and saves the day.

Actually, that's more the original "Iron Monger" mega-arc from Denny O'Neill's run, but that's how you'd use that plot element.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 07:30 AM   #146
captcalhoun
Admiral

At a press conference held last Friday in support of Paramount and Marvel Studios’ "Iron Man 2," director Jon Favreau explained why Tony Stark’s grand entrance -- a moment seen in the trailers -- was cut from the final theatrical version. "We had different versions of things that we tried. That was something that was a great image -- a scene that's going to be on the DVD -- but we had two different versions of it and because of the pacing [we had to cut it],”said the director. It came down to just how he wanted to introduce Tony into the sequel. "It felt really good to flow into the drop down and reveal him for the first time on the stage. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, it doesn't make any sense, but often times in the editing room we figure out what combinations of scenes..."
At that moment, Favreau was interrupted by star Robert Downey, Jr. "Gwyneth is just finding out that that scene was cut, Jon. You might be a little more tactful," he interjected.
Paltrow laughed, "Nothing would surprise me anymore."
so the 'go get em boss/ you complete me' bit is no longer included... shame.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 10:41 AM   #147
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I thought it was cute... darn...
Old April 27 2010, 01:44 PM   #148
John Picard
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
At a press conference held last Friday in support of Paramount and Marvel Studios’ "Iron Man 2," director Jon Favreau explained why Tony Stark’s grand entrance -- a moment seen in the trailers -- was cut from the final theatrical version. "We had different versions of things that we tried. That was something that was a great image -- a scene that's going to be on the DVD -- but we had two different versions of it and because of the pacing [we had to cut it],”said the director. It came down to just how he wanted to introduce Tony into the sequel. "It felt really good to flow into the drop down and reveal him for the first time on the stage. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, it doesn't make any sense, but often times in the editing room we figure out what combinations of scenes..."
At that moment, Favreau was interrupted by star Robert Downey, Jr. "Gwyneth is just finding out that that scene was cut, Jon. You might be a little more tactful," he interjected.
Paltrow laughed, "Nothing would surprise me anymore."
so the 'go get em boss/ you complete me' bit is no longer included... shame.
Damn I liked that scene.
Old April 27 2010, 02:16 PM   #149
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

I've got a bit of a crush on Olivia Munn from Attack of the Show, so I really cracked up when she Tweeted this...
Getting ready for Iron Man 2 premiere! So excited to see all the work I did as stunt double for RDJ. When u see the suit, thats me!
Old April 27 2010, 10:10 PM   #150
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I luv me some Munn. So she's Chess Roberts - who I thought was pretty hot looking for a head in the 1st issue of Iron Man after Heroes Reborn. - Honestly that whole first like 30 or so issues were frakking awesome. They really made me into a BIG TIME Iron Man fan. I was a fan of Iron Man before it was cool to be a fan of Iron Man - even though I religiously watched the 90s Cartoon, but I never bought every issue of his before that volume. I think it was Volume 3.

Who knows maybe she can show up in Iron Man 3 hehe

And y'know I could have seen her as the Wasp. Since we're going with an Ultimates version of the Avengers anyway - in that continuity she was Asian. In the 616 or "mainstream" Marvel she was Anglo.