Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 28 2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Big Jim Cameron FINALLY talks Terminator 2 in 3D!

Okay... mentions would be more accurate. But still:

I draw a distinct line in the sand between films where you have no choice — Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Indiana Jones, James Bond movies, Terminator 2 — I would love to see all those films in 3-D and the only way to do that short of having a time machine, is to convert them.

... I think there is a role for conversion and we’re going to convert Titanic and we might do one or two of my other films when the costs come down.
Do it do it do it! My only question:

I’m not into revision. I think every film should be exactly as it was executed in the moment. We’re not changing the rest of the film, we’re just dropping these scenes in. I actually don’t believe…like when George went back and put new creatures into the original Star Wars, I find that disturbing. It’s a revision of history. That bothers me. I certainly wouldn’t go back and do that to any of my films. A film I made in 1984, it’s what it is. It’s a creature of its time.
Does that mean they'll do painstakingly faithful conversions of the hugely obvious stuntpeople in the canal sequence, since doing otherwise would be revisionism?

... But if he does, I'll respect the hell out of him for it.

Which reminds me: Hitchock's Dial M for Muder was shot in 3D. Wonder when we'll see a digitally restored/fine-tuned rerelease?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Big Jim Cameron FINALLY talks Terminator 2 in 3D!

If he doesn't believe in revisionism, how does that explain his special editions of Terminator 2, The Abyss, and Aliens?

I'm not really complaining about those versions, since I think each is superior to the theatrical versions, but, c'mon.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Gaith
Rear Admiral

If you read the linked interview, he makes a distinction between re-integrating material that was produced along with everything else but trimmed out of the theatricals for running time, and stuff added decades after the fact. He also emphasizes that the theatrical Avatar will continue to be available, and won't be flat-out replaced by other versions.

I for one think that a legitimate distinction. And nobody would care about the SW SEs if Lucas gave us first-rate restorations of the OT on dvd/blu-ray.
Old April 28 2010, 09:21 PM   #4
T'Baio
Admiral

I agree. I think the Special Editions would actually be liked if the original versions were also available in lovingly restored versions. The Special Editions would be a joyful curiosity, their merits debated by fandom. They definitely would not be hated, and I don't think Lucas would be hated as much at this point, either. I think people in a weird way are personally offended by Lucas' presumption that the films you grew up loving and that changed your life somehow aren't good enough.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

Extended editions, are much different than what Lucas did. They keep the same outcome, and scenarios and charactirizations, while expanding on their stories. Lucas changed Han's character from rougish outlaw, to a softer pirate when he had him shoot second.

I for one thought the extended edition of T2 superior to the theatrical. Little things like the T-1000's power not quite being at full strength when he reformed after 'Hasta La Vista, baby.' Little things like that. I hope that's the version Cameron's gonna make 3-D, as I don't believe it ever got a Theatrical release.
Old April 28 2010, 10:29 PM   #6
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Cmndr J Crichton wrote: View Post
I for one thought the extended edition of T2 superior to the theatrical. Little things like the T-1000's power not quite being at full strength when he reformed after 'Hasta La Vista, baby.' Little things like that. I hope that's the version Cameron's gonna make 3-D, as I don't believe it ever got a Theatrical release.
Ooh, good point, he ought definitely do that version... but without the Reese dream/first nightmare. It robs the second one of its shock.

I too prefer the extended cut, but I wouldn't call the change made to the Terminator's character a detail; imo, it's fundamental to the development of "Uncle Bob".
Old April 28 2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

THIS in 3D and the other 'stare down the barrel' scene near the end before the terminator faces down tinfoil T-1000 in the steel mill

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 11:04 PM   #8
Davros
Fleet Admiral

If he cuts out the bonding scenes between Arnie and the kid, the movie might almost be watchable.
Old April 29 2010, 12:54 AM   #9
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I really like the extended-cut of T2. The geek in me loves the scene where they turn-off the T2 to fiddle with the chip, and the film-maker somewhere in me loves the use of a body double and Linda Hamilton's twin sister to pull off the "mirror scene" where the chip is removed. I also really like the dream-sequence with Reese.

I agree with Cameron that there's worlds of difference between re-inserting scenes cut for time, pacing or what-have-you and between what Lucas does which is adding bullshit for the sake of adding it and then making changes to the movie that completely changes outcomes and characters.

The dream and chip-removal scenes were always meant to be there and what that characters do during the course of the movie is based on those scenes having occured, we just didn't get the pleasure of seeing them in the theatrical cut. So the chip scene or dream scene don't change anything about the characters or their motivations. It just gives us more insight into them.

Adding bullshit like creatures running around infront of the camera or changing adds nothing of note other than eye candy and adding or changing plot-points in the movie changes the entire movie.

The "Greedo shoots first" thing changes Han's character which, in turn, changes the tone and mood of the movie. I'll give Lucas "the pass" of the mostly useless (and poor in every version) scene with Han and Jabba in the first one. That scene was always meant to be there, it just got taken out. Changing the human Jabba to the CGI Jabba is fine, the later movies made Jabba the ugly slug-thing. But Han shoots first? The bullshit creatures? Pointless and useless, as well as the whole "Jedi Rock" scene which was just completely pointless to add other than to get people to masturbate over "pretty" CGI.

If they can convert T2's extended version (or even the theatrical version) to 3D (which, honestly my limited understanding of 3D-filming isn't sure how it would be pulled off) bring it on, Jim.
Old April 29 2010, 01:15 AM   #10
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^^ You basically animate the whole movie, wrapping the existing footage around cg models. This can either be done quickly and poorly (Clash of the Titans), or painstakingly and well (the upcoming Titanic job).

@Samurai8472: That shot was my first thought, too. It looks 3D already.
Old April 29 2010, 01:56 AM   #11
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

Isn't next year the 20th anniversary of T2? It would be the perfect time to re-release it. I'd put the ending coda on there as well. Would finalize T2 as THE END, and no more movies could be made. I can't believe T2 is gonna be 20!
Old April 29 2010, 02:03 AM   #12
Harvey
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
^^ You basically animate the whole movie, wrapping the existing footage around cg models. This can either be done quickly and poorly (Clash of the Titans), or painstakingly and well (the upcoming Titanic job).
Isn't it a little early to announce the converted 3-D version of Titanic as anything? I'll believe it when I see it.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 02:04 AM   #13
FreezeC77
Commodore

I don't understand why this wasn't the movie he picked instead of Titanic. Nothing in Titanic screams 3D until you get to the destruction of the ship, which if I remember was pretty far into a extremely long movie.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 02:08 AM   #14
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
I don't understand why this wasn't the movie he picked instead of Titanic. Nothing in Titanic screams 3D until you get to the destruction of the ship, which if I remember was pretty far into a extremely long movie.
The sinking starts half-way into the movie.
Old April 29 2010, 02:15 AM   #15
Snaploud
Admiral

There was actually a Terminator 2 3D The Ride which included a whole extended plot-line separate from what was filmed for the movie. I wonder if that material would get inserted into a 3D theatre/DVD release (or if they wouldn't be able to get the rights to that material).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote