Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 30 2010, 07:27 PM   #1
VOODOOXI
Commander

Is it me or does TNG look really bad on dvd?

Let me preface this by saying that I have pretty close to state of the art system and I completely understand that dvd's will not come anywhere near the quality Blu-ray will offer.

That said TNG looks terrible even with my Blu-ray player upconverting them. Other older (same era as TNG) dvd's I have look significantly better.

Is it just me or does TNG not look very good in the dvd format?

Also, I think I read somewhere that TNG would be very diffuclut and rather expensive to convert to Blu-ray. Does anyone know anything about this?
VOODOOXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Joeman
Captain

Re: Is it me or does TNG look really bad on dvd?

After I purchased the show from Amazon, I posted a review there about how grainy and washed out the shows looked. I soon learned that what I had inadvertently ordered was that "international" release. I thought that was the problem, so I sort of amended my review, assuming that it was due to the poor unofficial copies. I haven't seen any shows on the regular release DVD's.

Since then though I've noticed that even on TV the shows look grainy and sometimes a little washed out. Probably just me though. But the others shows seem to look fine to me on TV.
Joeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Hermiod
Admiral

VOODOOXI wrote: View Post

Also, I think I read somewhere that TNG would be very diffuclut and rather expensive to convert to Blu-ray. Does anyone know anything about this?
The answer to that is yes, it would be difficult.

The simple explanation - TNG, DS9 and Voyager were shot on film but transferred to video for editing. To create a HD master, every episode would have to be re-edited from the original negatives. Enterprise, on the other hand, could easily be released on Blu-Ray as it was created with HD in mind from day one.

Bear in mind that movies, let alone TV shows, from the 80's don't have the best reputation storing their original negatives properly. So, I wouldn't hold your breath for a Blu-Ray release.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Let me preface this by saying that I have pretty close to state of the art system and I completely understand that dvd's will not come anywhere near the quality Blu-ray will offer.

That said TNG looks terrible even with my Blu-ray player upconverting them. Other older (same era as TNG) dvd's I have look significantly better.

I just have regular DVDs and no upconversion/HDTV. For me, the first season is a little "blurry" (some episodes more than others), but the later seasons get progressively better. I suspect it's just that the original mastercopy has those problems, so I doubt much can actually be done. For me, apart from one or two first season eps where it's very noticeable, the video quality, doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the series. But I suspect this may be a YMMV sort of topic.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 09:53 PM   #5
VOODOOXI
Commander

Thanks for the response guys... I just can't believe how poor TNG looks compared to other dvd's of the same era.

Even TOS (the Blu-ray's are amazing)which was shot in the 1960's looks better than TNG. I assume that's because TOS was shot on film where TNG was shot on film and transferred to video as Hermiod explained.

When the Blu-ray's come out I will surely upgrade.
VOODOOXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 10:02 PM   #6
Marten
Captain

I've never noticed, but it could be true.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Snaploud
Admiral

TOS was shot and edited on film. It has also benefited from a lot more DVD prep work.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 10:56 PM   #8
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Screencaps from a TNG and a TOS DVD.
The file sizes are large, but that's because I want to show them uncompressed, and exactly as they appear.
They have not been modified in any way.

Here's a screencap of "Encounter at Farpoint" from my TNG DVD.

Here's a screencap of "Balance of Terror" from my TOS DVD:

Last edited by J. Allen; March 30 2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Fixed Image Issues
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 11:21 PM   #9
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Joeman wrote: View Post
After I purchased the show from Amazon, I posted a review there about how grainy and washed out the shows looked. I soon learned that what I had inadvertently ordered was that "international" release.
They sell that bootleg on Amazon? It's hard to feel sorry for Paramount when they're not even trying to protect their interests.
But yes it's true, I watched TNG on Netflix, and some of the shots in S1 were pretty murky. Later seasons benefit from better lighting, I think.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 04:15 AM   #10
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Axiom wrote: View Post
The file sizes are large, but that's because I want to show them uncompressed, and exactly as they appear.

Yep, my DVD's look exactly like this. In other words, they are clear and much better than my old VHS versions. No problems here.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 04:27 AM   #11
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

RandyS wrote: View Post
Axiom wrote: View Post

Yep, my DVD's look exactly like this. In other words, they are clear and much better than my old VHS versions. No problems here.
True, although TOS does look a bit better than TNG. If you didn't know any better, you'd think the second image was made more recently than the first, at least going by quality. Now, the TNG DVDs do have issues. I don't know how they transferred them, but on occasion they do have quality issues, for example where occasional green stripes will zip up the side, or you can see the tape edge at the top of the screen. I think they transferred all of them from the VHS masters, actually.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

It's not just you, TNG looks terrible, particularly on modern HDTVs where the imperfections are upscaled. Viewing on a normal CRT television is not so bad, mind you.

The main reasons have been covered, but it's also worth pointing out that TNG seasons 1 and 2 were edited on analogue videotape, whereas they switched to digital video tape thereafter (and continued until the end of Voyager). Thus TNG season 1 and 2 look far worse than 3 to 7, so it takes some adjusting to if you've not seen them for a while!

To be fair, a lot of the shots that are just plain footage are okay (see: above screenshots), but any effects shot where there's been some multipass photography / compositing can look especially blurry. Space shots, in particular, seem to suffer from weird blue glowing edges of the screen.

I would love to see this series remastered but I won't be holding my breath for it to happen.

For some idea of what it would look like restored, wait for the inevitable release of season 4 of Enterprise on Blu-ray -- These Are The Voyages in particular. There's some old stock footage cleaned up and rescanned for that episode, plus all the spangly new CGI. Terrible episode, but technically interesting, and about as good as the Ent-D likely to look for a long while.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Alrik
Rear Admiral

There is something else about TNG picture quality that I find kind of odd when it comes to reruns on TV. A local station started airing TNG on week nights a couple of months ago. Shortly after, we upgraded 2 of our 3 DirectTV receivers to HD (the 3rd still serves good CRT TV, so no point). Out in my garage I have a 19'' CRT hooked to a digital converter that also picks up this local station. What I have noticed is on the HD's TNG looks really washed out but on the SD CRT's it looks much brighter and clearer.
Old April 1 2010, 07:36 AM   #14
data_lover
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to data_lover Send a message via Yahoo to data_lover

i bought the entire series as a set and the first couple seasons are definitely worse than later ones. I thought it was just me - glad it's not!
Old April 2 2010, 03:08 AM   #15
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
For some idea of what it would look like restored, wait for the inevitable release of season 4 of Enterprise on Blu-ray -- These Are The Voyages in particular. There's some old stock footage cleaned up and rescanned for that episode, plus all the spangly new CGI. Terrible episode, but technically interesting, and about as good as the Ent-D likely to look for a long while.
Here's a site that shows some comparison shots between TNG and "These Are The Voyages."