MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 1 2010, 09:01 PM   #106
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Re: long waits on Netflix

On a wild tangent, I find this interesting. I wonder how many other people today multitask instead of just sitting and watching a show. I imagine a whole lot. I don't think that used to be the case.
Old April 1 2010, 09:13 PM   #107
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post
Okay, that just answered my question. I came in here to gripe about the fact that The Blind Side wasn't available on Netflix till April (), yet I got it at Best Buy on Tuesday.

Don't judge- somebody has to help Sandy pay her divorce lawyer and I help out my neighbors.
If you really cared about her you'd buy a copy of All About Steve too.

Um....I'm broke and all.
Old April 1 2010, 09:27 PM   #108
Hermiod
Admiral

^Should have gone to the Razzies, she was giving them away.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 09:38 PM   #109
RoJoHen
Awesome

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
On a wild tangent, I find this interesting. I wonder how many other people today multitask instead of just sitting and watching a show. I imagine a whole lot. I don't think that used to be the case.
I am normally watching a show, doing something on my computer, cooking/eating, and doing laundry all at the same time.

If I'm sitting on the couch watching my TV, my computer is almost always in my lap...unless I am holding a plate of food. In that case, I set my computer next to me, eat with my left hand, and type with my right hand.
Old April 1 2010, 09:50 PM   #110
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I have my netbook in my lap 95% while watching TV... except when I'm watching Lost, Dexter, Chuck, or a foreign film.
Old April 1 2010, 10:23 PM   #111
RoJoHen
Awesome

Chuck and LOST are really the only two shows I watch regularly. Unfortunately, they air while I'm at work, so I am forced to watch them on my laptop (which I really don't enjoy). I am seriously considering getting a DVR just for those shows.
Old April 2 2010, 01:06 AM   #112
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^Should have gone to the Razzies, she was giving them away.

Oh, now you tell me!
Old April 2 2010, 06:37 PM   #113
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I sent back a DVD and so far, the theory is holding up: one of my "long wait" videos - The Box (don't spoil me! ) - has magically been freed up and has been sent.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 07:56 PM   #114
Witterquick
Captain

Does Netflix ship from just one location? My dvds shipped out on Monday and I only got mine on Thur. I'm on trial subscription now and I don't know if I'm gonna continue.

I sent back a DVD and so far, the theory is holding up: one of my "long wait" videos - The Box (don't spoil me! ) - has magically been freed up and has been sent.
Good for you Temis. How do you create a new phantom user? I couldn't find a link anywhere on the site. Maybe it's because I'm not a real member yet? The box was pretty boring by the way.
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 08:27 PM   #115
RoJoHen
Awesome

Witterquick wrote: View Post
Does Netflix ship from just one location? My dvds shipped out on Monday and I only got mine on Thur. I'm on trial subscription now and I don't know if I'm gonna continue.
Nope, they have locations all over the country. I usually gets discs the day after they ship them.
Old April 2 2010, 09:24 PM   #116
Witterquick
Captain

That's weird. USPS are usually really fast for me. I'm in NY. Hope the next ones arrives faster.
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2010, 01:53 AM   #117
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Nope, they have locations all over the country. I usually gets discs the day after they ship them.
My "local" warehouse is about three hours from where I live. So I have a good turnaround. If I play it right I can turn and burn three or four films a week.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2010, 02:05 AM   #118
the Dagman
Commodore

When I want a new release coming out on Netflix, I hold back a DVD and send it in either late Friday or the Saturday before the release. Then I will have an open spot first thing on Monday when they are divvying out who gets the new releases that arrive in the Tuesday mail.
Old April 3 2010, 06:48 AM   #119
StarshipDefiant
Captain

Good for you Temis. How do you create a new phantom user? I couldn't find a link anywhere on the site. Maybe it's because I'm not a real member yet? The box was pretty boring by the way.
I did a trial (albeit a few years ago), and my experience was that the trial moved slower then I see Netfilx advertised for. In my case, I added a few movies, got a couple, watched them, sent them back and...it was after I ended the trial (so I wouldn't have to pay) when they were logged in as "returned"
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2010, 07:30 AM   #120
Green Shirt
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
Blockbuster's online service is just as good (or, at least, nearly as good) as Netflix. They don't have quite as many titles, but I've found them to be faster.

They're (probably) going out of business, though, so Netflix must be getting flooded with new customers jumping ship before it goes down.

Blockbuster has gotten pathetic over the past year. They have long been accused of taking their time with shipments to customers who have a fast turn-around time (which is true in my case). Plus, they started counting the free store rentals I took home in exchange for the mailed ones in the "at home" section, which further slowed the process.

In December, they began to advertise "unlimited" free in-store returns (above the usual 5 per month), which they extended until March. But they got around this by taking two weeks to ship available dvds from my queue, even when I had nothing "at home". I guess Blockbuster finally realized that charging $21.99 per month, with 5 free in store exchanges worth $5.25 each - they were losing money. I sure got a "free ride" for a number of years.

After three separate occasions of waiting two weeks, and a number of unanswered email complaints, I quit my membership.